Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Speaker sound quality question

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Speaker sound quality question

Quote Originally Posted by GEM592 View Post
    DSP, tuning, front end setup, install, are never the ultimate bottleneck in any system. It always comes down to the speakers
    Assuming that the DSP, tuning and install are good, then yes, they cannot fix distortion is speakers.
    But there is likely at least a few people that have good speakers and a bad tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The software allows you to select the mic calibration file, so I suspect that you might be able to use other mic's.
    Where does one get the SW?
    and does it run on mac OSX?

2. Back To Top    #42

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The software allows you to select the mic calibration file, so I suspect that you might be able to use other mic's.
    Unfortunately, I just tried it with the UMIK-1 and it doesn't seem to work (I found you can download the software right from the Parts Express website). The software specifically looks for the OmniMIC and doesn't seem to let you actually do anything unless it detects the OmniMIC specifically. Unless I'm missing something...

I'll need to look into measuring distortion with REW I guess - just out of curiosity - have never really explored measuring distortion yet.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

We all do know that REW can show you distortion with sweeps too right? It is easy. Just do a sweep and the click on the distortion tab.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 11.06.17.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	778.2 KB 
ID:	7714
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

4. Back To Top    #44

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    We all do know that REW can show you distortion with sweeps too right? It is easy. Just do a sweep and the click on the distortion tab.

There ya go. Does REW let you export the data fro the harmonic distortion sweep as either a txt,csv,xls,or xlsx?

5. Back To Top    #45
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Everything is exportable.

In addition to distortion plots, you can also do polar and waterfall graphs. Sweeps are the way to go, to get all the right measurements.

I love REW.

6. Back To Top    #46

I just thought the OmniMIC software looked like another good tool to have. It seems like a very "clean" interface. Sometimes, having multiple tools that do the same thing can be beneficial.

However, it doesn't work without an OmniMIC microphone, so that was the end of that. :-)

7. Back To Top    #47
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Jdunk54nl ,

Is the 1.68 percent (2nd harmonic ) very noticeable ?

8. Back To Top    #48
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

That is my sub only sweep with no eq applied yet, so no. If you notice where the cross hairs are, that is at 28hz. REW reads the percentages based on the cross hairs. At 63hz, I have 3.77% (the peak area)

All of my other speakers are less than 1% distortion at their peaks for playable frequencies.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

9. Back To Top    #49

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    Assuming that the DSP, tuning and install are good, then yes, they cannot fix distortion is speakers.
    But there is likely at least a few people that have good speakers and a bad tune.

Where does one get the SW?
    and does it run on mac OSX?
    Seems the SW is downloadable, but obviously I got mine when I purchased the Omnimic V2 package. I don't know anything about mac's.

10. Back To Top    #50
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Holmz tuning is time-intensive with a "Payoff"!