Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose new 6.5" midwoofers

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me choose new 6.5" midwoofers

I am looking to replace my Hertz MP165P.3 6.5" mids. They have good midbass, get plenty loud and I've crossed them as low as 63hz, but I am getting a bad off axis beaming effect. At higher volumes they just cause too much ear fatigue.

Mounting location is the factory door in a 2016 Jetta. I have some mild sound deadening applied. My system is 2 way active with the highs taken care of by audiofrog gb10s and Dayton dsp for processing.

Here are some of my possibilities based on forum reads and reviews. SB17NRXs, Satori MW16P-4, ID XS65, SSA Evils, SI TM65iii. Overall I'd like great sounding midrange over thumping midbass. Also I'd like to stay around $150-250 for the pair.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Help me choose new 6.5" midwoofers

For great sounding midbass I'd do the SB17 out of your choices. 80hz is about as low as you can safely cross them in a door.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Maybe take a look at the Stevens Audio MB6 as well, but I agree with Hillbilly on the choices you listed.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Maybe take a look at the Stevens Audio MB6 as well, but I agree with Hillbilly on the choices you listed.
    Exactly what I was going to say

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Can you raise the crossover to 80Hz, and try cutting a bit around 250Hz?
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6

Im open to suggestions. Stevens looks like a good possibility as well. Do you like that over the SB17?

Also I'll have to tune for the new mids so I'm not really hung up on crossover points. Main goal is better SQ and not have the mids try to burn out my ear drums with laser beams

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

What are your crossover points between the 6.5's and tweets? The gb10's can play down to 2500 no problem with a 24db slope so bringing a 6.5" up to 2500 or so shouldn't bee too much of a problem for beaming.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

8. Back To Top    #8

75 to 2500hz LR 24db slopes. Tweets 2500 up LR 24DB Slope

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

What are you using for processing? Your laser beams in eardrums issue might be more of a tuning issue. It wouldn't hurt to switch to a better midwoofer but I don't think that's going to totally solve your problem. Do you have an rta to take measurements of your response for us?

10. Back To Top    #10

You can't demand to go too much low in a 2-way system. IMHO cutting mid-bass at 80hz is enought, and help them with subwoofer.