Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenwood KAC 7204 AMP

1. Back To Top    #1

Kenwood KAC 7204 AMP

I've got this amp and I'd like to have a good bumping system. I'm looking for 2 10"s to put with it. I dont need to know brands of subs. I just want to know what type of subs would u get, to get thr most of this amp, safely. RMS, DVC?, How would u wire them? I'll probably buy RF but I'm looking to spend only around $150 for a pair. Give me wiring ideas, in layman terms. Thank yall

2. Back To Top    #2
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Kenwood KAC 7204 AMP

DD, Sundown or NVX

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Your amp is rated for a 4 ohm mono load when bridged. Its rated for 500 watts in that configuration so you're looking for a sub rated for 250 watts rms. There are a few ways to get there using two subs, 8 ohms wired parallel, 2 ohms wired series,or dual (dvc) 4 ohm coils wired in series with each sub wired parallel. Those will get you the most from your amp based on load. After that, you will want to consider the other factors such as efficiency, desired sound, enclosure type, etc... but just on what you asked,
    8 ohm subs 250 watts rms
    2 ohm subs 250 watts rms
    Dual (DVC) 4 ohm subs 250 watts rms

This is the first example I saw based on what you stated in your post
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2D...10.html?tp=111
    Are you looking for sound quality or maximum volume?
    Meh, it'll play.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

I had one of those. Ugly as sin, but solid power. Mine even handled a 12W3 with no issues...ymmv

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks man for the info. It's exactly what I was needing to know. I'd like to have good heavy bass when I want it but mainly listening to country and rock. I'm 70% volume. 30% bass. The sub box I'd be using goes underneath the bench seat of a 2000 sierra ext cab. The box is tuned at 38hz and has 1.20 cubic air ft on each side. It's a labyrinth ported design. The box is a OB-Q62. I've also thought about getting an inexpensive amp that can get me 1000 rms. I'd like to know your thoughts on that. Also, I know that dvc has alot of wiring options but would 2 2ohm subs at 500 rms each, wiring to a 2 channel amp, one on each channel, comparable to paralleling to 4 ohm dvc to 2 ohm for a monoblock? If I went with that, I'd want to find dvc subs, just in case I ever want to change reconfiguration

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle

There is nothing wrong with the amp you have. 500 watts can get pretty loud. Instead of buying a new amp, I would put that money into better subs. Those aren't the best, they just matched what you said. In fact, the frequency response of those would be a deal breaker for me. If you already have the box, you should look for a sub that performs well in the space you have and the depth of the speaker needs to be considered as well.
    IMHO a well thought out sub configuration focused on quality is the best long term choice if you listen to music and want to enjoy it. Yes, you may find louder options, but at the end of the day, there are those who just make low frequency noise. It gets fatiguing to listen to. High quality bass disappears into the music, makes the drive more enjoyable, and with two 10s should be plenty loud when that great song comes on and you want to feel it.
    If you are set on Rockford, this would be far better for the money than a new amp. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P1S....html?tp=68872. They should work in your box. Optimum is 1.4 ft but with a little experimentation with polyfil sheeting you should be able do tune to your liking.
    I put two JL Audio 10W1V3s in my sons Tacoma with a 500 watt mono amp. It's a ported box tuned to 32 Hz and it is painful. I don't even have it running full tilt but my son doesn't know that and it's still louder than he thought it was going to be when he asked for it.
    Last edited by Smitty; 11-14-2019 at 05:50 AM.
    Meh, it'll play.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK great. I'm not sold on Rockford Fosgate but I just know that they are a good brand and a lot of their models is it inexpensive. I'm definitely open to suggestions when it comes to subs. Would you run it 2 ohm? Also the tuning is very confusing to me. I don't know what it means when the Box is coming to 38 hz. Cubic feet is a little confusing too. Or am I actually Needing to get the Box tighter question more what products do I need for this?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle

The amp in question should be run bridged with a 4 ohm load to get the 500 watts. On the basic level it does not matter whether they are 8 ohms parallel or 2 ohms in series. If all else is equal, you get the same result.
    The size of the box is determined by the specifications of the speaker known as Thiele/Small parameters. In very simple terms, these are measured characteristics of the driver such as stiffness, available movement (xmax/excursion), driver size, motor force, mass, etc... A subwoofer will play in any box but will sound substantially different if the box is too big or small. It will also alter the power handling and controlled excursion.
    Port tuning is a little more complicated. Basically the box you have is tuned to 38 Hz. The air inside the port assists the speaker's output until the frequency being played gets below the tuning frequency. Once below the tuning frequency, the excursion is no longer controlled by the port. This makes it easier to bottom out the speaker and the output also drops the lower you go below the tuning frequency.
    Meh, it'll play.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, so the question still remains. What do I do??

10. Back To Top    #10

One more question, with this amp being 500 rms when bridged, is it really safe to get dual subs at 250rms each? Will this amp handle the maximum rms total on a regular basis, safely?