Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XBL^2 hype, so what’s the disadvantages

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: XBL^2 hype, so what’s the disadvantages

Don't shoot... don't shoot... I'm just the messenger...

You're very quick into disagreeing with someone. Did you try to look for the thread I mentionned?

Kelvin

2. Back To Top    #12

I'm not quick i just know from experience what my preference is. Doesn't invalidate your preferences at all, both can be true.

3. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by dcfis View Post
    I'm not quick i just know from experience what my preference is. Doesn't invalidate your preferences at all, both can be true.
    Your experience taught you your preference - it's all good. We all need experience in order to learn.

What I said earlier, isn't my preference at all - just stated what I read on a forum. Let me post the thread on here and see what we can learn from it:
    http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f...aw-discussion/

Hoffman's iron law is a bitch... You can only choose 2. The only way to bend the law is by going IB (great if you have the right car)

Kelvin

4. Back To Top    #14

Agree, Idon't mess with hoffman, just do ib

5. Back To Top    #15
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

Don't care what burp sub company salesman has to say.
    For what it's worth, I've been studying on this subject for the past year. I built a tool that predicts power efficiency vs frequency and what the burp-sub-salesman mentions is not wrong. Power efficiency and voltage sensitivity are very different above resonance vs below resonance. A higher reference sensitivity 2.38v/1m on a woofer data sheet is not going to mean more low-bass output per volt, and a higher reference efficiency 1w/1m does not mean more low-bass output per watt.

I've been able to replicate the results of Don Keele's paper on the subject, and the results of Vanderkooy's paper whom Keele based his paper on. Don Keele's paper is linked below, and he does a good job making the concepts easy to understand even if you skip all the math stuff.

https://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele%20(2003-10%20AES%20Preprint)%20-%20Nom%20vs%20True%20Eff%20High%20BL.pdf

You also might have a point though. There might be some quality that is relate to having a high reference sensitivity/efficiency that sounds better to you and there is nothing wrong with that
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been studying on this subject for the past year...
    no $hit... you don't say?

That post first post was a cracker, and I thoroughly enjoyed that.
    You Sir...
    have a refreshing clarity of thought, command of language, and appreciation of the physics that is refreshing to read.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Nick

Disagree 100% i will never use less than 90db sensitivity subs or a box for that matter, ever again. Don't care what burp sub company salesman has to say.
    Ummm, its physics. He is absolutely correct

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #18

I think electro-acoustical efficiency and voltage sensitivity are once again being inter-twined into a discussion with out either of them being explicitly stated. They are not always the same, in fact in car audio, hardly ever. The statement quoted from Jacob @ sundown, well it's not that it's true nor false, it just doesn't paint the complete picture. Unless you have the equations for both reference efficiency and 2.83V sensitivity burned into your brain cells, it can be quite easy to get convoluted into the subject. Honestly, the key is to model about 10,000 subwoofer simulations and to vary certain parameters to see how it all un-folds.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Decided to model the AF GB12 (orange) vs CSS SDX12 (red) vs Adire Audio Brahma (yellow) in the most ideal ported boxes that I could figure out. The Brahma really wants a huge Ported box so I went with a 2 cu ft which is the biggest I would use in a car for a 12. The Brahma is not really ideal for use in a ported box according to my simulations and is better suited for a sealed box but a DSP would be able to smooth things out.

Loving the commentary and great information that has been posted in this thread!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF GB12 (orange) vs CSS SDX12 (red) vs Adire Audio Brahma (yellow).png 
Views:	375 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	7690
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

10. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Decided to model the AF GB12 (orange) vs CSS SDX12 (red) vs Adire Audio Brahma (yellow) in the most ideal ported boxes that I could figure out. The Brahma really wants a huge Ported box so I went with a 2 cu ft which is the biggest I would use in a car for a 12. The Brahma is not really ideal for use in a ported box according to my simulations and is better suited for a sealed box but a DSP would be able to smooth things out.

Loving the commentary and great information that has been posted in this thread!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF GB12 (orange) vs CSS SDX12 (red) vs Adire Audio Brahma (yellow).png 
Views:	375 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	7690
    Most, if not all, of the XBL^2 subs are not ideal for ported boxes.