Another white wagon.
    Instagram - eye_take_pix

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Re: TheTodd’s 2008 Malibu (re)build thread

I’m bringing this back from the dead so I don’t have to go digging through all the pages to find it.

I just picked up another set of a-pillar panels and some new pods are being designed. The intent is to get them more on axis. I also really don’t like big bulbous pods so I’m hoping I can actually recess the drivers a bit too while I’m at it.

This may move a little slowly as my new living situation will hinder my ability to work in addition to cold temps AND baseball practices for 3hrs every Saturday afternoon. We downsized into a townhouse instead of the house we used to have so I have to be a bit more considerate of my new neighbors who are a LOT closer than I’m used to. I’m excited to do some work. Stay tuned.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

With the grille removed I can now tell for sure why the left side of my stage was a bit scrunched compared to the right being out beyond my mirror.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5716BA3-D6C6-44E0-BACF-21423C1C1048.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	15175

I’m not sure if I never noticed how far back the driver sat from the grille or maybe I didn’t really care & then promptly forgot about it... either way the new ones should greatly improve things. I have the general placement down and marked for cutting but my progress for today has been slowed as I’m currently in the process of being snowed in with a forecasted potential 14-20” of snow. I was going to cut them up today but I think I’ll wait until one of the next few days over my lunch break or next weekend. My garage is small and I don’t really want plastic shavings getting on my Vette... or snow.

Name:	223B3479-87E0-4FF4-873A-FD4A899B48A0.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	15176

I’ve now tried 3 different times and these pictures keep posting up sideways. For some reason they’re rotated to the left 90 degrees from the way they are in my phone. It’s kind of a pain to break my laptop out for a quick update but if anyone knows if it’s a phone thing that can be solved by using my laptop let me know and I’ll start using the computer so people don’t have to break their necks for a few photos.

Anyhow... the plan is to have the bottom of the mid (hopefully) flush with the pillar and recess the top as far as possible to get them angled more towards the middle of the car. I am willing to extend the bottom out a bit in order to get the angle right. Then it’s just a matter of trimming out enough material from the pillar for a clear path for the tweeter.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

The temps have managed to break into the 50s... we even got to mid 60s today so I managed to get some work done. Yesterday was spent making a makeshift workbench since I have no room for a full-size one at my new house. And today was spent cutting up the new mid/tweet baffles. Tomorrow will be cutting up the pillars and determining the angles.

Name:	7A5AE5A5-6195-4BBA-8491-A59DB245DBD9.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	15340

Sunday I have to detail a car for a friend and he offered to glass my pillars while I’m doing that... I love trade labor. While I have the ability to do fiberglass work I don’t particularly enjoy it so I jumped at the offer. So... with any luck I should have new pillars (minus covering) by middle of next week.

I also did a thing this past weekend. The order is in & as soon as Crutchfield gets them in stock I’ll have a new head unit to install.

Name:	025C9423-16B7-4F76-AAA6-FB2FEEF6CEAD.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	15341

Until next time...

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Hope to see you at Apicella's in NY in April.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

I just may have to make the trip. What’s the date(s)?

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Howard
    Vehicle
    Gonzo the Yota 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
    I just may have to make the trip. What’s the date(s)?
    April 17

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Todd
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Avalon

Well... it’ll take a bit longer to get the pillars done. We decided to schedule a baseball practice for tomorrow so that’ll take the place of the detail/fiberglass day... meh. I did manage to make some progress today though. A little test fit...

Name:	09B92C9B-B0B9-4E74-BEB4-77DAD1E1BE53.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	15354

That gave me an idea of how much more I needed to trim away to fully clear the tweeter. So now I have both set up and I’ll spend some time tomorrow trying to make it not look like a beaver gnawed on my pillars before starting the fiberglassing.

Name:	73431D1A-D624-4F14-9D54-0A23F68BC20D.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	15355

Also, while checking on the availability of my new head unit yesterday I noticed an “open box” option that was not available before. After a quick call to Crutchfield & reassurance that the unit was in “like new” condition, I saved $60 and it was shipped out immediately. So it arrived today while I was at baseball practice. I can’t wait to get this bad boy installed!

Name:	38EFBA81-47A6-430D-A08C-D25B0AE66802.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	15356