Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions...Opinions on what route to go with 4x 8"s in sealed enclosure..

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Decisions, Decisions...Opinions on what route to go with 4x 8"s in sealed enclosure..

Thanks for your help!

I have an opportunity to test (and purchase at a discounted rate) a new enclosure that's coming out for the 2019/2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, and it will house 4x 8"s in a sealed enclosure with around 1.75^3ft.

My choices are (and THESE are the only choices):

1. ID8v4

2. IDQ8v.4

3. 8" L7T

The sub-channels from 2x PDX-V9s will supply roughly 1000w of power.

I have experience with the ID8v3 in a .65^3ft. sealed with about 200w and it sounded very clean and blended well with my front stage at the time. I believe the ID8 can also extend into the lower frequencies a bit more if I'm not mistaken, and has a higher sensitivity than the IDQ8 and L7T, which both will handle more power than I have on-hand.

The cost difference is about $200.00 - $300.00 less if I go with the ID8s over the other two.

Which route would you go and why?

Thanks so much for your thoughts and opinions!

Chris

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Decisions, Decisions...Opinions on what route to go with 4x 8"s in sealed enclosu

I like where you're going with this

My vote is the ID8v4
    Are you not entertained?!?!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Re: Decisions, Decisions...Opinions on what route to go with 4x 8"s in sealed enclosu

I think I'm on the right track too, chit, but curious who out there has experience with all 3?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Dustin

I ran a quick model of all three in 1.75 CF and I would probably go with the ID8s as well. The IDQs will play a little lower, but aren't nearly as efficient. The IDs will be louder. The Kickers are much more limited on excursion and will have far too high of a Qtc and Fsc for my tastes. The ID8s end up with a Qtc right around 0.71, so just about "perfect" for most people.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Yeah another vote for the ID8v4 (same as the v3 where it matters from what I can tell) because it's a proven winner in the 8" sub category.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Forward firing, or down firing box?
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

7. Back To Top    #7

ID8v4!!

Im going the same route with my build. I heard a vehicle similar to mine (Jeep Commander) with 3 ID8s and loved it. It was loud but blended very well. The box was small and rear firing. I am going with 4 because I have the room and I think 4 of them fills the space visually.
    Last edited by fniess3; 11-07-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Sent too early

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Hello, All! Thanks for the replies! I ended up going with the 4x ID8v4s. Order is in! I really liked how the 1 ID8v3 sound back in the day, so excited to hear what 4 will do. The enclosure will have the subs facing up, but the builder said it will have plenty of space above the baffle board for the subs to "breath".

9. Back To Top    #9
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

ID8V4 Chris!

You know which way to go.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

If you liked the v3 back in the day I think you'll be oddly familiar with the v4. On paper the v4 specs out identical to the v3 I have here at the house. Only difference I can tell is the v3 doesn't have that tacky cover over the magnet. Want to turn a v3 into a v4? Just knock that magnet cover offKinda off topic but you can turn a IDQv3 into a v4 by changing the fragile composite basket on it to the sturdier stamped basket.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.