Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Let The Vehicle Search Begin

1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    Dustin

Re: Let The Vehicle Search Begin

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    On the factory integration if you get a Ram or Tundra in a somewhat basic trim level you will be able to replace the factory headunit with anything you want. Or buy what you want and go DAP straight to the processor if it comes to that. A Ram in a pretty basic trim level is nice enough for me but that's not saying much. I had a ride that was pretty heavily optioned out and it didn't really do much for me once the new wore off but still had the payment for it...
    That factor alone is one of the big reasons I'm shopping used. I'd much rather have someone else take that initial hit. I know there is still a substantial price difference on most used vehicles depending on trim level, but it usually isn't nearly as bad as the disparity in prices on new vehicles.

Trim level is another thing that I learned can be a huge headache in dealing with sellers that aren't local. Actual vehicle condition, as well. That includes dealerships. People are willing to flat out lie to you about what they have, just to get you to show up. All in hopes that you'll just accept whatever it is because you don't want to waste a trip. When buying the wife's 6 we had to walk away from multiple dealerships, despite having driven for hours to check out a car. In some cases, we were in the office ready to sign papers and ended up walking away. That is a fun way to piss off a salesman.

You have to be willing to walk. At any point. I think it is in my blood though. My parents almost walked on a dealership when the monthly payment on the paperwork was $0.01 more than what they had agreed to verbally. Dad might have signed, mom wasn't having it. The salesman just looked at my dad and said, "Is she serious?" Dad laughed and said, "I wouldn't test her." They adjusted the payment.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion

2. Back To Top    #52
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Let The Vehicle Search Begin

Quote Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
    That factor alone is one of the big reasons I'm shopping used. I'd much rather have someone else take that initial hit. I know there is still a substantial price difference on most used vehicles depending on trim level, but it usually isn't nearly as bad as the disparity in prices on new vehicles.

Trim level is another thing that I learned can be a huge headache in dealing with sellers that aren't local. Actual vehicle condition, as well. That includes dealerships. People are willing to flat out lie to you about what they have, just to get you to show up. All in hopes that you'll just accept whatever it is because you don't want to waste a trip. When buying the wife's 6 we had to walk away from multiple dealerships, despite having driven for hours to check out a car. In some cases, we were in the office ready to sign papers and ended up walking away. That is a fun way to piss off a salesman.

You have to be willing to walk. At any point. I think it is in my blood though. My parents almost walked on a dealership when the monthly payment on the paperwork was $0.01 more than what they had agreed to verbally. Dad might have signed, mom wasn't having it. The salesman just looked at my dad and said, "Is she serious?" Dad laughed and said, "I wouldn't test her." They adjusted the payment.
    Yeah, I bought my dolled out ride used and felt sorry for whoever took the initial hit. And luckily I had a BIG down payment because used value dropped like a rock the two years I had it. It was a unibody and those will never take the place of something with a real frame under it and an open bed behind the cab for me.

I love the mind games sales people try to play. Lucky for me the truck I have now the out of state salesman was 100% honest with me over the phone about the used truck on the lot and it was actually BETTER than he described. Interior was near perfect and odor free. Had a few touched up scratches from what looked like brush being hauled in it but I haul brush in it too quite often so no big deal if I put a new scratch on it, hehe.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.