Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let The Vehicle Search Begin

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Dustin

Re: Let The Vehicle Search Begin

Quote Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
    Hey Dustin,

I can't offer much in the way of suggesting which vehicle has the largest kickpanels, so I'll defer that to other experts. I usually just make-do with factory locations and just try to maximize them. As far as the part I can contribute to, once you get a specific model in mind, I can check a few resources on my end for reliability patterns and so on.

I currently work for Solera as a field engineer in the shop management system and repair software division. Previously, I spent 12 years working for Identifix (now a Solera company), training shops how to use the product.

As far as trucks today, I ended up with an FJ. I picked it because my budget was under 30k, and I wanted to trade my fragile WRX in on the most robust, durable, and capable vehicle I could find that could still take two kids comfortably on a trip. A 4Runner was also on the short-list, as was a newish Tacoma and Tundra. I decided I wanted a Toyota for their ultimate durability (the trucks, anyway.)
    Thanks for the info. And I'll definitely keep you in mind once I get down to a short list. I have a feeling my "10s in the kicks" requirement is going to be the toughest criteria to meet and will likely severely limit my options. I'm hoping it isn't so limiting that I have to abandon it.

I dig the FJ, and rest of the Toyota truck/SUV lineup us definitely on my radar. I like the styling, love the reliability, and absolutely hate how expensive they are on the used market.
    New Truck | No System
    2015 MECA SQL Street | 2017 & 2018 MECA Modex California State Champion

2. Back To Top    #22

Oh yeah, getting this beast and modding it like I have to where it is now has been one of the most fun experiences for me in my entire car buying/modding history, going all the way back to age 16.
    Very nice! I'd love to have one just like it ...and an 86 of ^that^ same color.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	7570

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Quote Originally Posted by rton20s View Post
    Thanks for the info. And I'll definitely keep you in mind once I get down to a short list. I have a feeling my "10s in the kicks" requirement is going to be the toughest criteria to meet and will likely severely limit my options. I'm hoping it isn't so limiting that I have to abandon it.

I dig the FJ, and rest of the Toyota truck/SUV lineup us definitely on my radar. I like the styling, love the reliability, and absolutely hate how expensive they are on the used market.
    On the bright side, you could probably install that 10" speaker right in the friggin' door, nevermind the kicks. 6x9's and 8's fit with plenty of room to spare.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Dustin

I started multi-quoting page one responses, before realizing how many responses had shown up on page two. So... let the multi-quote of all multi-quotes begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    I would stay away from the BMW X5 to be honest. I hear that they can be endless money pits. Same with Mercedes. Their used value drops like a rock for a reason. They hold up OK for those who can afford to buy new or just lease them but after that they're too much of a wild card.

I still encourage you to talk to Lanson on here about this. He will tell you the good, bad, and just plain ugly about what's on the road so you can make a more educated decision on what you can and can't live with because they all have problems.

On the Santa Fe I had a 2017 Sport for a rental while my Grand Cherokee was in the body shop after getting rear ended. I liked the car OK for what it was and dreamed about what I could do with that false floor underneath. The big issue was the doors creaked as the body flexed while easing over holes in the gravel road I live on. In my opinion no car should do that ever. Just didn't give me much confidence in the structural integrity of the body as a whole. Guess if you never drive where the road is less than perfect you wouldn't know the difference. My Grand Cherokee was a tank so unfair comparison there. It held up quite well for as hard as it was hit and the back hatch even still opened and closed and sealed up even though it and the bumper was caved in!

For your needs I'd stick with a truck if you're going to be hauling stuff like bikes. Compile a list of what you think will fit your needs inside and out and go on the hunt. I was looking for something VERY specific in a truck and found mine in Texas and I live in Arkansas so don't be afraid to travel for the right truck.
    Dustin has reached out, that's why I'm active in the thread. I would echo what you said about the X5. Really, with Euro vehicles, the best experience with these is to LEASE them. And make sure the lease includes free loaners for any and all service or repair, and double-good if you can get the lease to include service expenses. Nobody wants to be surprised by a $300 oil change.
    As I mentioned in one of my previous replies, the "cost of ownership" is something I definitely take into consideration when vehicle shopping. That was something my dad taught me even before I bought my first car (1968 Cougar). It was also a lesson we learned dealing with my wife's VW GLI. Great car, but maintenance and repairs were quite expensive, especially when compared to the value of the vehicle. Fortunately we found a great local shop that specialized in European cars that was pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Those were just examples mainly because people know they are "expensive" to begin with and think of them as "elite" vehicles, so it was more of an attention grabber. But, all vehicles follow the same pattern. A 4runner follows it as they are usually about 65% of the new cost after 2-3years ($40,000+ new and about $28,000 used with 30,000 miles on carmax) The mercedes/BMW is about 50% so it is definitely more on the extreme side of that, but my 2014 F150 was $25,000 with 70,000 miles on it when I bought it and the sticker MSRP was $55,495.

The whole point was, with $30,000 budget for a used vehicle, he can pretty much get whatever he wants.

If you are surprised by service costs on vehicles, then you haven't done your research and bought it solely for the name. You should expect the foreign/"upper scale" vehicles to cost a little more on maintenance as there are less mom and pop mechanics to work on it. So supply and demand there.
    And this is why I am starting the search the way I am. Short list down to capabilities, equipment, etc. and then start the deep dive on research on the marks in the limited selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Yup, agree on all counts. To me a big part of a smart vehicle choice for the common person that isn't swimming in money is getting something that won't break you to maintain and occasionally get fixed. On trucks (Toyota, Ram, GM, and Ford...not many Nissans around here) just about everyone works on them daily and knows them inside and out. On the flip side most of these places won't touch a European car or anything that basically requires a doctorate in engineering to work on. Yeah I like some of the Euro cars but if I ever got one I'd lease it then walk away from it when the lease was over.
    I absolutely despise the look of 99% of the new Nissans trucks on the road. The last generation Titan could look decent with the right spec. The new one... not gonna happen. And while European brands aren't completely off the table, they are pretty unlikely. Having said that, I do kind of have a weird thing for Volvos.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    I love the NO cvt part... Carmax has a great website that you could use as tool (not to buy from them necessarily), but to get ideas...

Here is SUVs narrowed to 15-30k: https://www.carmax.com/cars/sport-ut...ce=15000-30000

Trucks 15-30k: https://www.carmax.com/cars/pickup-t...ce=15000-30000

I am not a Toyota fan at all, but for $30k you could get into an almost brand new Tacoma. Those seem to be all around good trucks with Toyota's reliability.

I really enjoy car shopping!
    I haven't jumped on carmax yet, but I've done some casual looking on autotrader, cars.com, etc. What is funny, is that we went through this not too long ago in shopping for my wife's Mazda 6. We literally drove all over the state of California looking for the right one. And now I am recognizing dealerships from our search then. Plenty of "red flag" dealers out there that I wouldn't even bother with, even if I saw they had the "perfect" vehicle sitting on their lot.

Oh yeah, getting this beast and modding it like I have to where it is now has been one of the most fun experiences for me in my entire car buying/modding history, going all the way back to age 16.
    I have the same modification sickness. I can't count the number of times my wife has asked me, "You just can't leave anything alone, can you?" Obviously this new vehicle will be no exception. I mean, my biggest criteria in the OP is stuffing a pair of full size 10" subwoofers in the kicks.

Getting a less expensive vehicle could also mean more opportunity to "screw it up" to my own personal tastes.
    New Truck | No System

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Very nice! I'd love to have one just like it ...and an 86 of ^that^ same color.

Name:	86.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	7570
    That blue, and my mention of Volvo in my last post has me drooling over one of these. Likelihood of finding one only a couple years old within my budget would be slim and none. Plus, I have no idea if the 10s could work in the kicks.

Name:	2017-volvo-v60-polestar-review.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	611.0 KB 
ID:	7571
    New Truck | No System

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Dustin

On the bright side, you could probably install that 10" speaker right in the friggin' door, nevermind the kicks. 6x9's and 8's fit with plenty of room to spare.
    Building some monster doors is a possibility, but a bit scary. Especially coming from the tin can doors of an xB.
    New Truck | No System

7. Back To Top    #27

That blue, and my mention of Volvo in my last post has me drooling over one of these. Likelihood of finding one only a couple years old within my budget would be slim and none. Plus, I have no idea if the 10s could work in the kicks.

Name:	2017-volvo-v60-polestar-review.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	611.0 KB 
ID:	7571
    Nice! I really liked the C30 ...and droooooooled over the C30 Polestar! LOL

Name:	c30-1280-630.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	7572

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Building some monster doors is a possibility, but a bit scary. Especially coming from the tin can doors of an xB.
    Truth. I put GS690's in the FJ doors after deadening them with about 75% coverage in Knu Kolossus. They still do vibrate a bit if I set the crossover to a lower range, but I don't hear any rattling and my sweep measurements in REW show no ringing that is concerning, so I'm super-pleased with that AND it sounds amazing. The steel reinforcement on those slab doors is better than I could have ever thought an OEM would do. I just made it better!

Shit... I just realized I haven't put pics of the build here yet...or my REW findings. Ima get to that.

A newish Tacoma would be a good call (minus the lack of space for audio) if you need something newish. It was a toss-up between a 2016 Taco in red vs. the FJ. For me, it came down to a bit cheaper deal on the FJ, and knowing that resale was on my side if I didn't like it. Spoiler alert, I love that damn thing and I'm not letting it go.

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Nice! I really liked the C30 ...and droooooooled over the C30 Polestar! LOL

Name:	c30-1280-630.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	7572
    Same. But, not nearly as practical for a family of four.

This coming from a guy who grew up crawling in and out of the back seat of an '76 Dodge Charger, then an '86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z CS, followed by a '90 Ford Probe, and finally a '93 Thunderbird.
    New Truck | No System

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Dustin

Truth. I put GS690's in the FJ doors after deadening them with about 75% coverage in Knu Kolossus. They still do vibrate a bit if I set the crossover to a lower range, but I don't hear any rattling and my sweep measurements in REW show no ringing that is concerning, so I'm super-pleased with that AND it sounds amazing. The steel reinforcement on those slab doors is better than I could have ever thought an OEM would do. I just made it better!

Shit... I just realized I haven't put pics of the build here yet...or my REW findings. Ima get to that.

A newish Tacoma would be a good call (minus the lack of space for audio) if you need something newish. It was a toss-up between a 2016 Taco in red vs. the FJ. For me, it came down to a bit cheaper deal on the FJ, and knowing that resale was on my side if I didn't like it. Spoiler alert, I love that damn thing and I'm not letting it go.
    Now imagine what you would have to do to those doors to play down to 20Hz with 18mm+ Xmax on a 10" driver. Something tells me I'd end up spending nearly as much on building and reinforcing the doors as I plan to spend on the initial vehicle purchase.
    New Truck | No System