Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimax vs Reference HO

1. Back To Top    #11
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Re: Ultimax vs Reference HO

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Bass is awesomely clear, but it's the whole system that makes the bass sound great (with regards It's funny because the heart of SQ-bass reproduction as I've come to find out, is in the midrange and lower-treble. The cleaner those are, the better real bass instruments are reproduced.
    Thank you. I completely agree. That is why I always install the sub last. I build in stages. While I do plan for a sub, my SQ builds have always had the mids and highs completed first. When I'm happy, I add the sub. A quality system without a sub is still very listenable.
    Yesterday I experienced a prime example of highs making the mid bass sound better when I replaced the factory paper tweeters in the dash with Dayton Reference 3".
    I don't listen at the volumes I used to, so I would be more than satisfied with a sealed 12" whether its an HO or Ultimax. Heck, I could probably get by with a 10" since I was good with a single 8W1 microsub in one of my builds.
    Meh, it'll play.

2. Back To Top    #12
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    I love my little Ultimax

Very nice! I would love to hear that.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by NoDestiny View Post
    15" Ultimax with 4.5 cubes, 1lb stuffing per cube, sealed in my little Insight (2-seater hatchback) and it does SQ with authority.
    Wow, way more space than I'm willing to give up and that would probably kill me. I could barely handle the two 10W1's vented in my sons truck when I was tuning it on Saturday. It's an xtra cab Tacoma so the cabin gain is sick.
    Meh, it'll play.

4. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Wow, way more space than I'm willing to give up and that would probably kill me. I could barely handle the two 10W1's vented in my sons truck when I was tuning it on Saturday. It's an xtra cab Tacoma so the cabin gain is sick.
    If I can just get some free-time off from work, On my back-burner is a project to duplicate the results of a guy from the diyaudio site, where he dropped the Qts of a woofer (a significant amount) by adding Nd magnets around the ferrite ring of his woofer. Enclosure requirements are reduced as Qts^2.87, with the optimal Qts (IMO) ranging from 0.30 to 0.33 for ported, and a little bit higher for sealed. You give up just a little bit of dB in the middle (like a dB or 2), but the stronger motor makes up for it by padding up the low end, but when every cubic inch counts, I think it's worth it. Ultimax subs have a relatively high Qts to work in a multitude of enclosures, but IMO they could stand to be a little bit better.

As an example, the UM 15 has a Qts of 0.47, and say you had another one with Qts 0.35 (simply by way of more B, that's all it takes), the one with Qts 0.35 "needs" only 43% the enclosure volume than the one with the Qts of 0.47. Like I said, it does change the response profile, so modeling the system would give you a better idea of how the response changes.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...39-0-34-a.html

So long as the top-plate isn't already saturated, I have a feeling that I can indeed duplicate his results. Since Qts effectively rises as excursion goes higher (in over-hung designs), I'm going to aim for a final Qts in the 0.25-0.28 range.

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle

Very interesting project. I just read through the thread. I have never even considered doing such but will be watching to see the results.
    Meh, it'll play.