Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alpine PXE-08505s feedback

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Greg
    Vehicle
    Ford Explorer

Re: Alpine PXE-08505s feedback

No setting or option listed in the manual. Here is the only and somewhat vague instructions for connecting the wired controller:
    Before using wired controller, connect the wired controller to the main machine and ensure that software or app isn’t connected. Connect PXE-0850S wired controller to PXE-0850S machine and power on properly.
    So there's a main machine and the dsp machine There's only one way to connect the wired controller to the dsp so that isn't the problem. I always turn the power on with the controller plugged in and with no software running, and no laptop via usb or bt device connected. The manual then goes on to describe the various functions the controller does. Unfortunately, mine never changes from the powered-on screen to the functions screen- it should do that automatically.

Edit: usb cable was plugged in backwards. The installation manual states that it only goes one direction but the user manual doesn't. So all is well
    Last edited by Syncher; 11-19-2019 at 10:31 PM.

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab

Glad you figured it out! I'll remember this when I install mine. Thanks!

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Greg
    Vehicle
    Ford Explorer

One other thing to watch for when you're tuning- the output of the head unit doesn't match the Fiio (I suspect it won't match a cell phone either). That just means we need to adjust the gains for the bt device as well as the head unit in the mixer section of the dsp software. I tried using the same gain settings for the high level input and bt they're not close.

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

Well, have the unit installed. I notice there is a difference in output when running through the controller versus the blue-tooth/smartphone application. The controller volume goes up to 66 but only 60 in the app. Really strange. Once I close the app, it will say 60 as max volume on the controller, from which I can then turn back up to 66. Odd...

Another oddity is when hooked via blue-tooth, if you're not careful, the volume will come through at max volume and can only be adjusted through the app or the controller if the app isn't opened. Adjusting the volume on the OEM source WILL NOT decrease the volume. This scared the heck out of me the other day when my phone began playing a song via PowerAmp.

Also, it would be nice to have the ability to EQ on the input side, not just the output.

Overall, the unit is pretty solid and I'm having no problems understanding how to control everything through both the blue-tooth application and PC software.

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle

UPDATE!

Been using the PXE-0850S for about 9 months now. I can honestly say the thing works! I've had no issues running either digital (toslink) or aux (RCAs). The unit is easy to adjust on the fly using the Android app, connects to bluetooth quickly, and doesn't have any issues with noise!

Whoever is on the fence, this is a good DSP. It does lack some of the features like input EQ and variable phase (only 180 or normal), center and rear processing, that the Helix devices have, but for the money, it's a good way to enter into the world of DSP tuning!

I will say this, the onboard power is not that strong and should only be used with stock speakers or efficient tweeters. That being said, I like my purchase!

6. Back To Top    #36

there should be enough channels to loop an output to an input, effectively giving you "input" eq

however this only works for analog interfaces.