Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old but evergreen argument, class AB vs D!

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: Old but evergreen argument, class AB vs D!

Let me throw in my 2 cents.
    I swapped lots of amps in years, and honestly NO, NOT ALL AMPS SOUNDS THE SAME!
    Always addicted with AB class, class D was never in my mind, even for subs duty.
    But tryed some full range class D amps recently, including top line like Leviathan III, but only for wf and sub duty. And honestly is difficult to ear differences between high quality class AB and high quality class D amps in the range below 250hz.
    Never had chances to try them in mid-high.
    Of course you can't compare bargain class D with premium AB or bargain class AB with premium class D. Engineering and design is essential.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by mark3004 View Post
    Of course you can't compare bargain class D with premium AB or bargain class AB with premium class D. Engineering and design is essential.
    This is where Class-A dominates...
    Any junior high schooler can make a nice Class-A.

The rest require engineering skillz of varying levels.

3. Back To Top    #13

I'm not really switching, as I am just now upgrading my stock audio system, and I'll be starting out with class D.

But the Rockford Fosgate class D and A/D amps are amazingly small, light, cool running and power efficient. I'll easily be able to mount them in my trunk, hidden from view and out of the way of everything, with much easier supply power wiring as well. Even if I take a tiny hit in audio quality, these other benefits of class D amps make them a no brainer for me.

This is all awesome to me. The last time I did a car audio upgrade (mid 2000's on an 03 Mustang Cobra), class D amps were still somewhat rare and expensive.

4. Back To Top    #14

Here's my experience:

I went from a Zapco Z150.6-LX to a MMATS HiFi-6150.
    I would consider both amps to be 'premium' in their class.

The Zapco Z-LX Series (since replaced with the Z-AP Series) is, in my opinion; the absolute best 'bang for the buck' premium Type A/B amplifier.
    There's no fucking around with it... no crossovers, no nothing. Just pure clean power. And PLENTY of it.
    I really have nothing bad to say about the sound quality of this amp... my only beef is that it's huge, and it gets quite hot.

The MMATS HiFi-6150 is as good as it gets, for a Class D amplifier.
    It has a relatively small footprint. Produces massive amounts of power. And barely even gets warm (even when driving a sub).
    From a sound quality perspective; I would say that it sounds identical to my Zapco. It's not better, it's definitely not worse.

I can't see myself ever going back to Class A/B again... unless I win the lottery, and build my dream Brax System.
    Class D has come a long way, and a high-end Class D will sound just as good as a high-end A/B.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

5. Back To Top    #15

I think I could conjure up a decent argument for Class-A or Class-AB using horns.
    And then Class-D for mid bass and subs.

Assuming one does not have an aversion to mixing classes...

6. Back To Top    #16
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    I went with the ol McIntosh class A/B amps mostly because they just look cool.

Even if they don't sound any better, the looks somewhat make up for the bulk and the PITA mounting.

I would not be at all adverse to using Class-D for midbass and subs. And it would not be adverse for using Class-A for tweeters.
    I don't know if the Class-A are better, but they also seem cool.
    Monolithic sound "Great" and Zuki "Eleets" have headroom for days !

7. Back To Top    #17

I don't feel I've lost anything by switching from AB to D. D is far more efficient than most any AB design, typically much smaller, and if there is a difference in sound quality from one to another I can't hear it. I've been all Class D for a few years now and don't see going back.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

See, this is the reason i joined this forum, too many people with more knowledge than i have!!!
    I was out of Car Audio for years but always yearned to get back to it, but i can never seem to do it a 'little' lol.... I finally jumped back in and am stuck. I got to hear some really nice demo vehicles but i could always spot that they were running Class D amps based on a particular sound at higher volumes, i cant really describe it except to say that it just felt like the sound reached a 'ceiling' and lost power to push forward (i know this doesn't say much). Every time i would ask, are close Class D's and yep they were. I finally convinced my self that i was just being dumb and stuck on some old school A/B vs D and what D sounded like when they were first hitting the mass market. So i said screw it and bought a neat little DSP, an AC LC6.1200, ACM 4.300 that was my starting point. DSP died in a week so i thought heck i got all the AC stuff why not just go with a DM-810 to replace it.

I really liked and was supper impressed with the power of such small foot print amplifiers. Loved that they were really efficient and i could stick them anywhere do to their running temps. But i just couldnt get past "that sound" (or what i perceived as was missing)... Now i know that AudioControl probably isnt great nor does it live up to the other Class D amplifiers you're all discussing on this thread.

So i asked myself, do i really want to go down this path and if i decide to what am i going to do??? So like an idiot (meaning acting out of impulse vs a plan) i purchased two Helix C4's to start to replace my stuff... Plan on adding a smaller amp to drive two very small 7" - 8" drivers and i have to decide on a new DSP

Moral to my rant??? I really hope my Class A/B's sound better than my D's LOL

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

In order the make it a fair comparison Cutaway you would need to do it blind, meaning not knowing which amplifier was playing or your mind will choose the one that it thinks is better. This psychological effect is a trick our minds always play on us. You would also have to level match the gains to within less than 1/10 of a db or your mind will prefer whichever one is playing the loudest.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2015 Armada

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    In order the make it a fair comparison Cutaway you would need to do it blind....
    yeah i get the thought/reasoning behind this. Way back in the day when the engineers would roll out their new amps, we'd have have to sit in the listening room where one side was lined up with a wall Magnepan speakers and we would have to a-b amplifiers critique what we were hearing. I generally got teased because i liked most of what i heard and when something was not quite right i could spot it but i could not communicate it well. I still dont know if there is a science to listening?

Maybe i will like the sound of the Helix over the AudioControl just because i think it should sound better