Thread: Advice sought on wiring up a pair of tweeters.

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice sought on wiring up a pair of tweeters.

This may sound simple to most but I haven't played with car audio in over 30 years.

I'm completely upgrading the stock audio in my Nissan van except no plan on an amplifier yet.

I only have the two door speakers as its a working van with a steel bulkhead, however the new head unit has your regular four channels. Going in the doors are some 2 way Rockford Fosgate 1650 Punch speakers but they're down low so I want to add two tweeters high up in the window quarters. Now, because I'm only using two channels ATM would it be acceptable to use the spare two HU channels to run the pair of tweeters?
    Guy in the shop mentioned something about wiring them into the door speakers to keep the ohms correct, but I wanted to use the spare two channels so that I could raise or lower the tweeters input.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Re: Advice sought on wiring up a pair of tweeters.

You'll have to protect the tweets with a crossover, so you don't give them a full range signal. But yes, I think technically, its all doable. Would you consider getting a component set of speakers instead?

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.
    To be honest I imagined this way the simplest. I intended on just replacing the door speakers so purchased both them and the head unit. Then a micro under seat sub and so now I'm thinking extra tweeters high up.
    These tweeters i BELIEVE have inbuilt crossovers. They're JL TR050.CT.

Head unit: ATOTO A6 Pro.
    Door speakers: Rockford Fosgate 1650 Punch.
    Sub: Pioneer TS-WX130DA.

Would either way give the same sound and the way I suggest not be detrimental to the unit?

4. Back To Top    #4

That’s a lower end headunit and doesn’t look like it has built in crossovers. I think you’re alot better off with just getting a set of components which have the passive crossover. Just get a set of components already bundled together.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

Again, yes technically, all your gear should work together. Those JL tweeters do come with an inline crossover, so thats something. However, I agree with Subydude81, that head unit is an unknown and the component set of speakers woud eliminate much of the doubt. Plus keep you with two free channels on your deck and allow you to put the tweeter up high.
    But if you've already purchased everything, then it seems you have covered your bases to me. Good luck with the install.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for taking the time. I'll go ahead and update once installed over this holiday period.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Smile Re: Advice sought on wiring up a pair of tweeters.

https://www.jlaudio.com/tr050-ct-car...ossovers-92018

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-Complete.html

Some info on chosen tweeters , which you may know , already.

It appears 50 watts @ 8 ohms ( 100 watts @ 4 ohms [ same as 50 w @ 4 ohms ] is going to work.
    Whatever amplifier you purchase , try to get adequate power for them.

With a first order slope (6 dB ) crossed around 4 khz should sound pretty good Gavala .

Sixth review going down by Stephen may be helpful ?
    https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-TR0...ews/B00076FVOW

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey up from the U.K., being very honest that headunit is an android unit I presume, as such it will sound like pye receivers from the old days ie pretty awful, you’d be far better off with a pioneer single or double din with active crossovers built in and use that to drive the speakers with some semblance of time alignment as the pioneer has a basic dsp built in, this will make a massive difference to the standard of sound in your van, the frequency response will be better, more dynamics, and a lovely centred image with speakers that disappear into the windscreen

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all.

To be honest this install didn't start with quality of sound in mind, it was having a full size touch screen for navigation considering the new UK laws on holding your phone, regardless.
    The speaker upgrade was just to up things knowing the stock ones would be absolute budget. Then the micro sub just because, then remembering the late 80's and my new Golf GTI having factory tweeters up high and that it sounded great compared to everything previous. sO this is a bit of a mish mash and being a van with lack of soundproofing it would be a battle against the road noise in any case.

I've decide to wire these tweeters into the two present channels and have ordered a two channel Kenwood amp having listened to what Queef posted.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Gavala View Post
    Thank you all.

To be honest this install didn't start with quality of sound in mind, it was having a full size touch screen for navigation considering the new UK laws on holding your phone, regardless.
    The speaker upgrade was just to up things knowing the stock ones would be absolute budget. Then the micro sub just because, then remembering the late 80's and my new Golf GTI having factory tweeters up high and that it sounded great compared to everything previous. sO this is a bit of a mish mash and being a van with lack of soundproofing it would be a battle against the road noise in any case.

I've decide to wire these tweeters into the two present channels and have ordered a two channel Kenwood amp having listened to what Queef posted.
    ^that^'makes sense.

for some other install, it is usually good to have goals, desires and ideal outcomes... then one can decide how to get there because they know where they need to be going.