Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport

1. Back To Top    #51
    Real Name
    Eric

Re: 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport

Quote Originally Posted by geolemon View Post
    I'm curious when you say "intergrated properly", are you referring to phase alignment (timing), or frequency (crossover)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    #1) Remove all center information using L-R processing or whatever the latest terminology is today.
    #2) Band limit the audio so high frequencies are cut out. Hmm. I don't remember, maybe 2KHz
    #3) Delay the rear channels to mimic reflections off the back of a listening room. Start with 20mS and go +/- from there.

The net affect is widening and deepening your sound stage. One you have it dialed in it makes a night and day difference. You need to try it to really understand the psycho-acoustical effect. I've been using this in home and auto for close to 15 years. I stand by it's effectiveness.

Oh, and you don't need to spend a lot of money for rear fill. It is only there to add subtle ambiance. Hell, you could use stock speakers. You just need some processing and a weak amp channel.

Ge0
    Ge0 pretty much hits the high points from my understanding... I can't speak to the specifics in my case since I've not used/tuned a miniDSP/Zen-V combo before and Steve did the install & tuning for me.

What I can say is that I used a spare two channels on one of my amps, and the factory rear speakers, so other than tuning time and speaker wire I didn't really spend any cash on it.
    Could I get more out of it? Probably... my future plans are to take back those spare channels and bridge them to my mid-bass drivers, then purchase a small class D amp and some new rear speakers and spend some time aiming them to get the widest stage I can.

2. Back To Top    #52

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    #1) Remove all center information using L-R processing or whatever the latest terminology is today.
    #2) Band limit the audio so high frequencies are cut out. Hmm. I don't remember, maybe 2KHz
    #3) Delay the rear channels to mimic reflections off the back of a listening room. Start with 20mS and go +/- from there.

The net affect is widening and deepening your sound stage. One you have it dialed in it makes a night and day difference. You need to try it to really understand the psycho-acoustical effect. I've been using this in home and auto for close to 15 years. I stand by it's effectiveness.

Oh, and you don't need to spend a lot of money for rear fill. It is only there to add subtle ambiance. Hell, you could use stock speakers. You just need some processing and a weak amp channel.

Ge0
    So the ambient effect - I could totally get on board with that. I'd even agree that is somewhat missing from a real simple SQ "stereo only" setup. You'd only get some ambient details, that's a pretty interesting idea.

Personally, I think I'm going to follow Erin's lead here - since we own the same car there's some valuable info here, and midbass strength is always important to me... and the location in my case is the lower fronts of the rear doors - basically behind the front seats. Not ideal for anything BUT midbass. Definitely priority 1... midbass support.

But now you have me thinking - I actually still have a bunch of 2" fullrange drivers, I'd bought maybe 3 or 4 sets from Parts Express - different models that i put in a pair of bookshelf cabinets I knocked up, to pick a driver to use. For an ambient rear speaker - the fact that they really "only" play up to about 14khz or 15khz doesn't matter if they are being filtered way down anway... they reached down to nearly 200hz if i recall correctly... and are small enough to make some little pods just about anywhere... now you have me thinking about maybe adding that somewhere further rearward. I'm definitely going to be using either miniDSP or the Dayton DSP, so I'll even have additional delay options - but simply locating them absolutely rearward (I'm thinking even "hatch door") might even be good enough. Going to have to start thinking about this...

And no - not Darrin... Chris, and I sold the Pathfinder to a neighbor of mine Alex - I'm pretty sure he removed the whole system before he sold the Pathfinder on, because he offered me the amp back.

3. Back To Top    #53

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    ... my future plans are to take back those spare channels and bridge them to my mid-bass drivers, then purchase a small class D amp and some new rear speakers and spend some time aiming them to get the widest stage I can.
    Curious - what's the car? And are your rear locations "back deck" or "back door"?

4. Back To Top    #54

FWIW, I re-hosted Nick's video on my channel with his permission. Here we go!

https://youtu.be/-cXwyk3A0QE
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

5. Back To Top    #55
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Thanks for the shoutout!

6. Back To Top    #56

Congrats for upgrading your car. I have also recently purchased Honda city and I am a big fan of of its feature.

7. Back To Top    #57

I really like the idea of the 430's on the dash!

However, what are your thoughts on if these were say CDT Unity 8's 2" Wideband's in place of the mids on dash and removing tweet?

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Martyn
    Vehicle
    None now.

I know I've not been on for a while, but I'm really impressed with the whole install, especially making it look like stock.