Thread: Trick or Treaters in the rain?

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Trick or Treaters in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I've seen pics of your awesome setup in my DIYMA Halloween decoration thread. If that's at all representative of your neighborhood, I can see why folks come from far and wide.

When it's raining do you get considerably fewer, like 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 ...or none?
    Hey thank Grinder for the nice complement. My wife actually does all the work. As far as rain I guess I’ll find out tomorrow but I suspect it will be significantly less.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

2. Back To Top    #22

And the answer is 42.

...I mean 37 (Trick or Treaters, that is). There was never more than light rain between 5:00 and 9:00 last night ...so, I'm surprised that there were only about 1/3 of what we had last year.

With everything else that was going on, I unfortunately didn't get around to carving all those pumpkins we grew in our garden.

Managed to keep the speakers dry under a large trash bag. They were awesome! Simply used a yardstick wedged into supporting milk crate to hold the trash bag away from the drivers and port.

Here's a short video from early evening:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FafakS9cDXw

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1365.JPG 
Views:	301 
Size:	4.83 MB 
ID:	7380Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	5.03 MB 
ID:	7381Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1370.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	7382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1372.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	4.93 MB 
ID:	7383

Speaker details (from a thread at that other place):

Because the window projector video I used would be of little-to-no use without sound (and soooooooo much more realistic, with powerful full-range sound), I’ll take a moment to share details of the DIY car audio-based indoor/outdoor compact party-sounds system that I recently put together for just such occasions.

Measuring 24"H x 9"W x 14.5"D, each mini tower consists of a Skar IX-8 D4 in 1 ft.^3, a 3” x 11” vent tube (39 Hz Fb, for +3 dB @ 40 Hz worth of outdoor kick), and a Polk DB651 in a separate .141 ft^3 chamber (see top picture).

I still need to come up with some sort of compact and portable mount for the RF P400X2, R500X1D, two EVGA 700 B1 power supplies, and miniDSP 2x4.

As I only had two cables long enough to reach the speakers, and since there was no need for stereo effect, I simply positioned the mini towers side-by-side (outside, on a milk crate, directly below the window effect) and wired the subs and coaxials in series, for a combined impedance of 4 ohms (to monoblock) and 8 ohms (to bridged 2-channel).

These mini towers performed very well outdoors, with plenty of power to spare; and they have greatly surpassed my expectations in terms of both SQ and output. Of course, the coaxials would be far too bright without DSP, but the vented 8” subs do quite well with little more than LP and HP/SSF.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1374.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	7384

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

My word is that dishwasher from the 60s? awesome

Our rain stopped but a 30 degree drop came in. Kids had a great time trick or treating even if freezing their butt off, though.

4. Back To Top    #24

I don't doubt it. LOL ...it came with the house (built in the early '50s) and it still works, though we haven't used it in years.

WOW! In Atlanta?! It was an unusually warm ~60 F up here in Vermont. LOL

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I don't doubt it. LOL ...it came with the house (built in the early '50s) and it still works, though we haven't used it in years.

WOW! In Atlanta?! It was an unusually warm ~60 F up here in Vermont. LOL
    are you in Vermont? If so any interest in attending the GTG Nov 10 in Taunton MA?
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

6. Back To Top    #26

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    are you in Vermont? If so any interest in attending the GTG Nov 10 in Taunton MA?
    Yup. Thank you for mentioning it. While I've never been much of a car audio guy (though I'm sure that could change, given adequate exposure and budget, etc. LOL), I would like to experience some nice aftermarket systems; and it would be fun to meet fellow members. It doesn't look like I'll be able to make it though; I'll just have to wait and see. I'll PM you for details if it looks promising.

7. Back To Top    #27

What effect has the covid panic/weather/rioting had on Halloween/trick-or-treating in your area this year?

In the midst of the covid panic, I had no idea if there would be any trick-or-treaters at all this year. On the other hand, Vermont has the lowest per capita covid numbers in the nation, so...

Clear and calm weather here this afternoon-evening, though a bit on the chilly side.

As it turned out, there were ~30 trick-or-treaters, which is about the same as there were last year in light rain, which is about 1/3 of normal. All things considered, I'm quite pleasantly surprised, actually.

While I usually hand out prepared individual baggies containing an assortment of seven or eight Mars Minis ea. (Twix, Snickers, Milky Way, 3Musketeers, M&Ms - my favorites) at the door, this year I opted to lay the baggies out on a low table beside the porch steps and let the kids help themselves.

Suspecting there might well be no trick-or-treaters at all this year, I opted out of the usual window projector and accompanying sound system. Harvested six carving pumpkins from the garden this year, and didn't quite get around to carving any of them either.