Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick or Treaters in the rain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Trick or Treaters in the rain?

Rain or shine? -or- Rain date? -or- Indoor activities? What are your experiences?

How many fewer (if any at all) Trick or Treaters would you expect on a rainy Halloween?

In rural-suburb VT, we've had ~120 Trick or Treaters the last few years (in decent weather), but I have no idea what to expect in the rain. I usually go all-out with scary full-window rear-projection display, big speakers outside, etc., etc. But with the rainy forecast... I'm wondering if it might be all for naught...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trick or Treaters in the rain?

It never rains in Southern California, so I can't help you on that one... However, to me, it does seem like the number of people out trick or treating and has dramatically decreased over the last few years.

I am sure that fear has something to do with that. I live in an extremely safe neighborhood, and even here there's hardly any kids to be seen walking around on Halloween...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Yeah, around here most of the kids seem to go to parties at churches and other big safe places indoors. I don't have kids but still can understand why parents don't want their kids taking candy from strangers. Now back in the 80's and 90's when I was trick or treating our parents let us go out on our own as a group a lot of the time. One year my dad drove me and a few others around in the pouring rain to trick or treat. Kids don't seem to care nearly as much about the rain as adults...at least we didn't seem to be bothered by it when I was a boy.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #4

My 8 yo daughter has never been trick or treating, nor will she ever. I just don't trust other people like that, NOR does she need that much sugary shit...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Yeah, times have changed over the past 25+ years. I was latchkey and free range as a kid. Too dangerous for that now.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    It never rains in Southern California, so I can't help you on that one... However, to me, it does seem like the number of people out trick or treating and has dramatically decreased over the last few years.

I am sure that fear has something to do with that. I live in an extremely safe neighborhood, and even here there's hardly any kids to be seen walking around on Halloween...
    As a motorcyclist and bicyclist for many years in SoCal, seemed like whenever it did rain, it would always happen within the 4 - 6 pm commute. LOL

Yeah, nowadays it's nothing like when I was a kid in the '70s. Still, up here in small-town New England (similar to where I grew up), folks don't feel so anonymous to and fearful of/within their neighbors/neighborhoods, compared to more urban locales such as SoCal.

It seems that nowadays not so many folks are decorating and/or giving out candy. It's like the more folks opt out, more of their neighbors follow suit ...and so, fewer Trick or Treaters.

In the mid-late '80s, ours was one of the very few houses decorating and giving out candy in our mostly Hispanic Santa Ana neighborhood. However, our participation seemed to encourage others to follow suit, and the number of Trick or Treaters went way up during the few years we were there.

Participation on our street seems to be on the rise, now that we have raised the bar so high these last few years ...and the number of Trick or Treaters has gone up from ~80 to ~120 in the last several years.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    My 8 yo daughter has never been trick or treating, nor will she ever. I just don't trust other people like that, NOR does she need that much sugary shit...
    Yeah... sugar is a helluva drug! If I had kids, it would be a tough call... I would certainly try to encourage/influence them not to want all that stuff. As for trusting other people... it's one of the very few reasons I'm glad I don't have kids.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Yeah, times have changed over the past 25+ years. I was latchkey and free range as a kid. Too dangerous for that now.
    I don't think it's any more dangerous today than back in the '70s, when I was a free-range kid. It might well be safer today than back then ...despite what our news and government would have us believe. At any rate, both then and now, by far the greater danger lies in all the mischief that free-range kids might get into, not all the hyped-up stranger danger.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I don't think it's any more dangerous today than back in the '70s, when I was a free-range kid. It might well be safer today than back then ...despite what our news and government would have us believe. At any rate, both then and now, by far the greater danger lies in all the mischief that free-range kids might get into, not all the hyped-up stranger danger.
    I always avoided getting into trouble with the rest of the pack. More or less did my own thing being somewhat of an outcast. My love for fishing is what kept me out of trouble.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    Yeah, around here most of the kids seem to go to parties at churches and other big safe places indoors. I don't have kids but still can understand why parents don't want their kids taking candy from strangers. Now back in the 80's and 90's when I was trick or treating our parents let us go out on our own as a group a lot of the time. One year my dad drove me and a few others around in the pouring rain to trick or treat. Kids don't seem to care nearly as much about the rain as adults...at least we didn't seem to be bothered by it when I was a boy.
    Yeah, around here we have "Trunk or Treat" and other such events, and still manage to have our share of Trick or Treaters. When I was a kid, by the time we were 10 or 11 we were out on our own (no arranged groups, at any rate) on Halloween, 'til long after dark.

I'm sure I would be unusually nervous if I were a parent. Probably all the more concerned nowadays than back then.

Yeah, I don't remember being bothered too much by the rain. It was all about the CANDY! CANDY! CANDY! ​LOL