Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: REW EQ with dayton DSP 408

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: REW EQ with dayton DSP 408

When I said from and to range, it was the same box as you used to zoom in on the treble frequencys, so you set it from 1000-20000 using the small box with the arrows left right, up down, if you set the top and bottom numbers to a smaller spread, so it looks like 45-105db, if you set it to say 80-105 you will effectively zoom in on the graph more so you can set filters more accurately, it just makes it easier to see problem issues more clearly

also don’t be scared of slightly lowering the crossover point to get the tailing off to match the desired crossover, or raising it slightly on rew to workout where it matches your dsps crossover more accurately, there are two crossover points... what it’s set at and also what it actually is, don’t be afraid to play to get the curve to match, and also for example if using 24db Linkwitz Riley you need the -3db point to be accurate on both sides of the crossover so that the two drivers sum to a flat response

2. Back To Top    #12

If you use speaker driver instead of full range in driver type in the ‘target section’ then you can tailor the crossovers a little better to Butterworth or LR of varying orders rather than the one choice of ‘24db crossover’ if you see what I’m saying

3. Back To Top    #13
    Vehicle
    2019 Subaru Impreza Sport hatch (Ice Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    When I said from and to range, it was the same box as you used to zoom in on the treble frequencys, so you set it from 1000-20000 using the small box with the arrows left right, up down, if you set the top and bottom numbers to a smaller spread, so it looks like 45-105db, if you set it to say 80-105 you will effectively zoom in on the graph more so you can set filters more accurately, it just makes it easier to see problem issues more clearly

also don’t be scared of slightly lowering the crossover point to get the tailing off to match the desired crossover, or raising it slightly on rew to workout where it matches your dsps crossover more accurately, there are two crossover points... what it’s set at and also what it actually is, don’t be afraid to play to get the curve to match, and also for example if using 24db Linkwitz Riley you need the -3db point to be accurate on both sides of the crossover so that the two drivers sum to a flat response
    Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    If you use speaker driver instead of full range in driver type in the ‘target section’ then you can tailor the crossovers a little better to Butterworth or LR of varying orders rather than the one choice of ‘24db crossover’ if you see what I’m saying
    Ohhh gotcha. Good to know about the -3 Db crossover point, I will play around with that tonight.

I had to go find the beta 26 of REW to get the other driver selections but that's really helpful. I played around with lowering the xover in the EQ wizard, I definitely see what you are saying about being able to mold the target curve to get the desired result.

all in I feel a lot more confident about giving it another shot. I will probably start a new tune from scratch using what I have gathered to see if I can get it that much more dialed in.
    Breaking shit since 1994

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

As is said in many threads and posts here too. First focus on crossover and level. Get that stuff right before any other EQ. That will save you some bands. 10 bands per speaker is actually quite a bit.
    1) Your level is high right now, most of it is above the curve line so either raise your curve target or lower your level via gain adjustment in the DSP to match each side to the lowest side.
    2) Your speaker is acoustically falling off quicker (looks around 3khz) than your chosen curve crossover, you will need to raise that because I wouldn't go much lower with most tweeters. What speakers are these?
    3) Once you have completed 1 and 2 above, you will probably only need like less than 5 bands of EQ for each tweeter.

4) Caution with the higher frequencies (like 18 Khz+) as that could be microphone drop off and not necessarily speaker.

5) When in the EQ box (the one that shows you all of the frequencies, gain, etc). Uncheck all of the boxes except for the first 10. Save this set before any EQ. Then load it for each speaker. This will tell REW that you only have 10 bands of EQ to work with and not 20. Then run the Auto EQ function. I have also never needed to set the EQ to manual in there if I had a proper curve loaded as the curve does the HP/LP filters for me. If you have loaded a house curve, select none for the speaker type.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    2019 Subaru Impreza Sport hatch (Ice Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    As is said in many threads and posts here too. First focus on crossover and level. Get that stuff right before any other EQ. That will save you some bands. 10 bands per speaker is actually quite a bit.
    1) Your level is high right now, most of it is above the curve line so either raise your curve target or lower your level via gain adjustment in the DSP to match each side to the lowest side.
    2) Your speaker is acoustically falling off quicker (looks around 3khz) than your chosen curve crossover, you will need to raise that because I wouldn't go much lower with most tweeters. What speakers are these?
    3) Once you have completed 1 and 2 above, you will probably only need like less than 5 bands of EQ for each tweeter.

4) Caution with the higher frequencies (like 18 Khz+) as that could be microphone drop off and not necessarily speaker.

5) When in the EQ box (the one that shows you all of the frequencies, gain, etc). Uncheck all of the boxes except for the first 10. Save this set before any EQ. Then load it for each speaker. This will tell REW that you only have 10 bands of EQ to work with and not 20. Then run the Auto EQ function. I have also never needed to set the EQ to manual in there if I had a proper curve loaded as the curve does the HP/LP filters for me. If you have loaded a house curve, select none for the speaker type.
    For sure. I think I am on the right track. I just ran some sweeps and I think I am close to getting the gains dialed in. but I just wanted to post the result just to get some feedback on what anomalies I should be looking out for, this is with T/A only, no EQ, or crossovers set (other than the tweeters at 2000hz LR 24db for protection edit: same with mids at 100hz)

I will also upload my REW files if anyone wants to take a look (link expires in 7 days)

Tweets: https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_components/tweeters/hd1bl.php
    Mids: https://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_compone...oofers/hd6.php
    REW Files: https://send.firefox.com/download/91...0ERKp8lcHBxlWA

I am going to play around with this in REW tonight and then try my hand at crossovers tomorrow when I have time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-28 194935.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	659.9 KB 
ID:	7352
    Breaking shit since 1994