Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REW EQ with dayton DSP 408

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2019 Subaru Impreza Sport hatch (Ice Silver)

REW EQ with dayton DSP 408

Hola.

I have been trying to teach myself how to EQ and tune with REW and I have read and read and read until my eyes bleed and I think I have a pretty good understanding, but I am having trouble particularly when it comes to L-R EQ.

Edit: stupid fingers..

to continue... https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/163234-first-timers-guide-measuring-your-system-4.html

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/144455-quick-tip-using-auto-eq-roomeq-rew.html

I have most recently been using the guides linked above. Today I got my levels/gains matched crossovers where I want em and T/a sounds great.

so I moved onto L-R EQ, that also went well and doing an A/B test with the EQ on and off I feel that it has really opened up the soundstage. I like it.

however when moving onto the next step of performing the main EQ (per driver) i realized I have no idea how to go about setting the EQ with L-R already done..

is this something that needs a nicer dsp with than just a single PEQ per channel? or do I just adjust the values on top of the already set EQ, but then how do I make sure the Q stays the same when using AutoEQ?

I hope this makes sense and I haven't left you as confused as I am
    Breaking shit since 1994

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle

Re: REW EQ with dayton DSP 408

jeeeebus christ... note to self: proof read!!!! 15 edits later I hope that is legible.. I shouldn't make technical posts this stoned...
    Breaking shit since 1994

3. Back To Top    #3
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

The Dayton DSP has a limited number of per filters per channel kinda like the MiniDSP right? If so, then you'll have to stretch your skills a bit and try being creative with how you use the filters. You'll have to find a way to accomplish more than one thing with a single filter. It's going to be very frustrating at first. Look for ways you can leverage any other processing you have in the head unit or the amplifiers or elsewhere since common changes to all channels can be made upstream of the Dayton, which leaves you a tiny bit more flexibility to change the left/right differences. Also, the crossover filters in the DSP can be incredibly powerful if you're willing to set them unique for each channel and they can give you a ton of leverage that might free a few PEQ filters.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    The Dayton DSP has a limited number of per filters per channel kinda like the MiniDSP right? If so, then you'll have to stretch your skills a bit and try being creative with how you use the filters. You'll have to find a way to accomplish more than one thing with a single filter. It's going to be very frustrating at first. Look for ways you can leverage any other processing you have in the head unit or the amplifiers or elsewhere since common changes to all channels can be made upstream of the Dayton, which leaves you a tiny bit more flexibility to change the left/right differences. Also, the crossover filters in the DSP can be incredibly powerful if you're willing to set them unique for each channel and they can give you a ton of leverage that might free a few PEQ filters.
    interesting.. I have to say this is the answer I feared... but I am glad I wasn't just missing something super obvious. I will definitely will have to play around with it more..

I had an idea though, I was thinking after finishing with the L-R EQ, what if I were to manually set the Q and frequency for each PEQ filter in REW to the corresponding filter value that is set in the DSP? then I could run the EQ an use the output that AutoEQ gives to adjust the values already set.. is there any reason that I haven't thought of that this wouldn't work?
    Breaking shit since 1994

5. Back To Top    #5
    Wave Shepherd - aka Jazzi Justin Zazzi's Avatar

If you can go through all that effort, I would love to see you try and manually adjust the filters in REW's EQ module and look at the predicted results. You'll have the frequencies and Q's set already. There's just a small number of amplitudes to adjust. Give it a try yourself and you might be surprised at how scary it isn't.
    Measure with mics, mark with chalk, cut with torch, grind to fit, sand to finish, paint to match.
    Updated Justin tuning sheet (Justin and Erica tuning companion for SMAART and REW)
    Do it for them.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Zazzi View Post
    If you can go through all that effort, I would love to see you try and manually adjust the filters in REW's EQ module and look at the predicted results. You'll have the frequencies and Q's set already. There's just a small number of amplitudes to adjust. Give it a try yourself and you might be surprised at how scary it isn't.
    huh... you're so right... I feel like so many things just clicked. it really does make it less daunting. I also had a "DUH" moment shortly after reading your first reply, I HAVE EXTRA FILTERS

so I used a combo of both the pre calculated values and then filled in the gaps with the extra filters, tell me what you think
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-27 221110.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	650.3 KB 
ID:	7342
    Breaking shit since 1994

7. Back To Top    #7

It looks ok, but try and lower the steps on the left of pic by adjusting the from and too range and reduce it to 5db or even 2db if you can, but with limited bands 2db may be depressing, but for me looking at that it’s like someone saying if the Mona Lisa is a fake from 20 yds away

the acid test is to see what it compares to the opposite side is like, I take it that’s a tweeter, depending on mid location and size you could maybe adjust the crossover a little higher and see if you can get rid of the ripples to beyond the crossover point somewhat, maybe try it at 4K with a second tune to see what sounds best if the mid behaves better below 4K... it would also maybe reduce gain around 2-2.5k which you seem to have a fair bit of, what does the pre eq curve look like?

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
    It looks ok, but try and lower the steps on the left of pic by adjusting the from and too range and reduce it to 5db or even 2db if you can, but with limited bands 2db may be depressing, but for me looking at that it’s like someone saying if the Mona Lisa is a fake from 20 yds away

the acid test is to see what it compares to the opposite side is like, I take it that’s a tweeter, depending on mid location and size you could maybe adjust the crossover a little higher and see if you can get rid of the ripples to beyond the crossover point somewhat, maybe try it at 4K with a second tune to see what sounds best if the mid behaves better below 4K... it would also maybe reduce gain around 2-2.5k which you seem to have a fair bit of, what does the pre eq curve look like?
    awesome, and you are correct this that picture is of my left tweeter. so if I am following, in this case being with the problem area being so close to the crossover, it would be better to try and cross higher to alleviate that spot and then work out the rest. I can definitely play around with that, this crossover was just what sounded best to the ear.

I am a little confused by your first statement though "lower the steps on the left of pic by adjusting the from and too range" what is the too and from range?

all of this of course is just messing around while I figure out what the hell I am actually doing, so I expect it to change frequently.
    here is a screenshot with the post L-R, pre EQ curve

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-28 083013.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	7343
    Breaking shit since 1994

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle

also just realized I wasn't practicing on the right curve, here is the avg of 5 sweeps while moving the mic slightly.

man REW can make a pretty curve... if only I had the bands (Helix... is that you... in the light??)

Name:	Annotation 2019-10-28 085941.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	672.6 KB 
ID:	7344
    Breaking shit since 1994

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

As Zazzi stated you have to get creative with limited bands. It's my honest opinion that a processor with fewer bands of eq will really force you to get efficient at tuning.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.