Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix RTA & Auto EQ - A Car Audio Junkies Exclusive

1. Back To Top    #61
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Re: Helix RTA & Auto EQ - A Car Audio Junkies Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    The virtual channels feature is not available on all ACO-based DSP's. It's not available on the mini or the DSP.3. Only on the Helix Ultra and I think one of the newest DSP+Amp combo devices.

So you cannot use virtual channels on the DSP Mini (even though it's an ACO-based DSP).

However, the "FX" options *are* available on ALL of the ACO-based DSPs. So you *can* use features like Augmented Bass Processing, Real Center, etc on the DSP Mini.

Hope that clears things up.
    FYI: My V Eight MK2 has virtual channels. So does the V Twelve. P6 MK2 does not. However, a P6 MK3 is about to be released and it does.

This news is straight from Dobs...

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

2. Back To Top    #62
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Am I just an idiot or am I missing something? I have a Helix V Eight. I dabbled with auto-tune in SW 4.65. I created my own house curve. I loaded my mic's CAL file in the AF directory. It did an OK job but I was not happy with the way I did it.

I auto-tuned the Left, Right, Center, and Subwoofer virtual channels separately. I then went to the output section, linked all channels, and did a final auto tune. This was a good base to start off for manual tune. But, I suspected I could do better with less filters and boost / cut.

A few days ago I upgraded to Software 4.70a. I set everything up like before. Drivers, mic cal file, house curve, etc. However, today I was going to tune differently. I have each driver tuned flat separately in my output section. The only exception is the sub channel which gets a rising frequency response.

My idea is to leave the tunes for the individual drivers alone in the output section. They are dialed in. Crossovers sum properly. L&R sum properly. I was going to use auto-tune to correct response to meet my house curve in virtual channels per Dobslobs recommendation.

1.) I linked Left, Right, Center, and Subwoofer virtual channels together.
    2.) Started the Helix RTA.
    3.) Loaded my house curve.
    4.) Started my Periodic Pink Noise.

5.) Started the analyzer.
    6.)Started measurement.

Everything looks good.

7.) I made minor adjustments to the offset sliders so measured signal would perfectly overlap the house curve.
    8.) I hit Autoset.

The typical box opened letting me know what was linked and if i wanted to proceed.

9.) I clicked yes.

AND the dang thing just sat there. The software made no attempts to make any adjustments what so ever. After a few minutes the message popped up saying it could not reach the desired curve.

Well, no shit. The software made no attempts to make any adjustments.

I tried everything I could think of to get this to work. I un-linked all virtual channels and tried doing just one at a time. No go. Autoset will not even attempt to make a correction. It just sits there and times out.

I know the software is seeing strong signal. I see it on the RTA. Level is green. What is going on? Why won't it auto-tune anymore?

Edit: I forgot to mention that FROM BAND was set to 25Hz. TO BAND was set to 20KHz.

Ge0

3. Back To Top    #63
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Ge0 View Post
    Am I just an idiot or am I missing something? I have a Helix V Eight. I dabbled with auto-tune in SW 4.65. I created my own house curve. I loaded my mic's CAL file in the AF directory. It did an OK job but I was not happy with the way I did it.

I auto-tuned the Left, Right, Center, and Subwoofer virtual channels separately. I then went to the output section, linked all channels, and did a final auto tune. This was a good base to start off for manual tune. But, I suspected I could do better with less filters and boost / cut.

A few days ago I upgraded to Software 4.70a. I set everything up like before. Drivers, mic cal file, house curve, etc. However, today I was going to tune differently. I have each driver tuned flat separately in my output section. The only exception is the sub channel which gets a rising frequency response.

My idea is to leave the tunes for the individual drivers alone in the output section. They are dialed in. Crossovers sum properly. L&R sum properly. I was going to use auto-tune to correct response to meet my house curve in virtual channels per Dobslobs recommendation.

1.) I linked Left, Right, Center, and Subwoofer virtual channels together.
    2.) Started the Helix RTA.
    3.) Loaded my house curve.
    4.) Started my Periodic Pink Noise.

5.) Started the analyzer.
    6.)Started measurement.

Everything looks good.

7.) I made minor adjustments to the offset sliders so measured signal would perfectly overlap the house curve.
    8.) I hit Autoset.

The typical box opened letting me know what was linked and if i wanted to proceed.

9.) I clicked yes.

AND the dang thing just sat there. The software made no attempts to make any adjustments what so ever. After a few minutes the message popped up saying it could not reach the desired curve.

Well, no shit. The software made no attempts to make any adjustments.

I tried everything I could think of to get this to work. I un-linked all virtual channels and tried doing just one at a time. No go. Autoset will not even attempt to make a correction. It just sits there and times out.

I know the software is seeing strong signal. I see it on the RTA. Level is green. What is going on? Why won't it auto-tune anymore?

Edit: I forgot to mention that FROM BAND was set to 25Hz. TO BAND was set to 20KHz.

Ge0
    Easy fix. Reset your PC and amplifier. Auto-tune came back after a hard re-boot on each device.

Ge0
    Last edited by Ge0; 08-17-2020 at 10:25 PM.

4. Back To Top    #64

Should we keep curve offsets the same for each set of drivers, once we have set it for the 1st measurement?

5. Back To Top    #65
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Should we keep curve offsets the same for each set of drivers, once we have set it for the 1st measurement?
    Was that question for me? If so, I'm afraid I don't know what you're asking.

Ge0

6. Back To Top    #66

No, I was referring to the auto EQ process shown in the video.

7. Back To Top    #67

Quote Originally Posted by Audiogal View Post
    When you guy's are using this method are you having success above 8-10K with the RTA tuning to your target curve.

I am using a UMK-1 USB mic and it seems to work fine however I am finding the auto eq is not as effective above the 8-10K range and in effect does not cut to the target curve. It sort of bounces between cut and boost between the 7s cycles (Autoeq) and ends up mostly boost to a flat curve as opposed to a trebles downward slope curve that I want.

I am using the mic in 90 degree (orthogonal) mode and copied that calibration file to the cal file as shown.

Just using the RTA manually works well also. REW not really required.

Thoughts and experiences welcome?
    Hy i encountered the exact same Issue today when trying the AutoEQ.
    Exact same setup, same cal 90 deg file, exact same setup as you.
    Mine boosts 20khz to full boost every time, no matter what house curve.

software bug or human bug?

8. Back To Top    #68
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by sandros View Post

Mic not picking up 20k for one reason or the other. Its actually somewhat common. Might just be cancelation in your system, or its the mic itself. Idk, but this does seem to happen a lot

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #69

its very strange, because on the RTA‘s live measured frequency response 20khz is minimum 2db over the level of the set house curve. But AutoEQ boosts it anyway. So for me it seems like my mic see‘s or hear‘s the 20khz but AutoEQ doesnt perceives it.
    FYI i have two Umik-1 both are calibrated and the calibration file shows „loaded“ in AutoEQ.
    Same behavior on both

10. Back To Top    #70
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by sandros View Post

This is strange. I have a significant downward slope at 20KHz due to roll off on my tweeters. AutoEQ doesn't even touch the last two sliders. If I want them adjusted I need to do it myself.

Ge0
    Last edited by Ge0; 09-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.