Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix RTA & Auto EQ - A Car Audio Junkies Exclusive

1. Back To Top    #41
    Vehicle
    2018 Ford Mustang GT Base 6 speaker set-up

Re: Helix RTA & Auto EQ - A Car Audio Junkies Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Pretty sure it's only for the input signal, no?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I think you're right but I would think it wouldn't be hard to update their software to look at either the input signal or a mic connected to the laptop the user is viewing their RTA on, hmm....I don't think the hardware in the DSP/Amp would need to change not that I really know any better...
    Last edited by MegaG; 01-23-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    Finally get to update this, procurement & install planning phase has had some execution happen, procurement is for minor items now. Have Morel MT350 Tweeters & Hybrid MW6 Woofers, AudioControl DM-6.1200 & just added LC.1-800, KnuKoncepts Wiring and distribution, Audiofrog GS12D2 refurb, starting with inexpensive subwoofer enclosure to get everything up and running and let funds replenish some...Funds have replenished and now I am questioning my early DSP/Amp approach decision...

2. Back To Top    #42
    Vehicle
    2017 Mazda CX-5

If you have the Helix DSP Ultra which has Virtual Channel Processing, you can Autoset your individual drivers in the Output section then Autoset the whole left or right in the Virtual section which is kind of a game changer. You can EQ your individual drivers Flat in the Output section then EQ to your House Curve in the Virtual section. Gives you 31 bands for each driver plus another 31 bands each for FL Full, FR Full, RL Full, RR Full, Front Center Full, Rear Fill Full, and Subwoofer 1 & 2.

Nick, you're really just scratching the surface of possibilities in your video. There's so much more you can do when you can EQ Outputs and Virtual Channels if you have the Ultra.

The Set EQ button will set the EQ based on a 1 time measurement, the Autoset button will continuously measure and adjust until you manually stop it.

3. Back To Top    #43

So, I've been using the Helix DSP Ultra recently, and am enjoying it thus far. I also recently had the opportunity to add a center midrange and center tweeter to give me a 2-way center channel. I am a relative novice when it comes to tuning, but believe I have the basics down fairly well. As I've never used a center channel before, what approach would folks here recommend? I'm thinking of using the autoeq function for the left side and then right side, as Nick has demonstrated here, and then autoeq the center channel speakers separately. Do folks think this approach would work better then auto-eq'ing the left with the center-channel simultaneously and then the right side with the center channel simultaneously? Not sure if it would produce the same result or not.

Thoughts, recommendations?

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Quote Originally Posted by olys6 View Post
    So, I've been using the Helix DSP Ultra recently, and am enjoying it thus far. I also recently had the opportunity to add a center midrange and center tweeter to give me a 2-way center channel. I am a relative novice when it comes to tuning, but believe I have the basics down fairly well. As I've never used a center channel before, what approach would folks here recommend? I'm thinking of using the autoeq function for the left side and then right side, as Nick has demonstrated here, and then autoeq the center channel speakers separately. Do folks think this approach would work better then auto-eq'ing the left with the center-channel simultaneously and then the right side with the center channel simultaneously? Not sure if it would produce the same result or not.

I would auto eq the center just as you do any other section like left front and right front. Then go to Virtual Channels and auto eq the whole setup in Virtual, that way you won't affect any of the phase, eq or other processing that you did on the individual output channels.
    Doug Dobson

5. Back To Top    #45

Quote Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
    I would auto eq the center just as you do any other section like left front and right front. Then go to Virtual Channels and auto eq the whole setup in Virtual, that way you won't affect any of the phase, eq or other processing that you did on the individual output channels.
    Thanks! I hadn't considered using autoeq on the virtual channels. I've been using it on the outputs.

Forgive the newbie question, but as a stepwise approach, set up time alignment and output levels for each channel, then eq each channel in outputs, and then eq the whole setup in virtual?

Also, for my center tweeter and center mid, I'm creating the center channels in virtual by using 50%left and 50%right for each channel.

My fronts are all Hybrid Audio X1 tweeters and x3 midrange speakers (the same for left, right, and center) that all have the same frequency response.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks in advance,

Andre

6. Back To Top    #46

Literally just signed up to give kudos to Helix and Nick. I'm using a dsp.2 with a 5 channel arc audio amp running a 12w3, sb-sb26stcn-4, and rs180. A couple of minutes and it sounds pretty damn good.

7. Back To Top    #47

Well thank you for making this, this helped a lot.
    I was getting a bit worried tuning this thing would be harder than I thought, but with the help of this video, and your others, my system is sounding great now!

Couldent vinyl wrap the tweeter pods though, turns out i dont know how to do that well.

8. Back To Top    #48
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by spwath View Post
    Well thank you for making this, this helped a lot.
    I was getting a bit worried tuning this thing would be harder than I thought, but with the help of this video, and your others, my system is sounding great now!

Couldent vinyl wrap the tweeter pods though, turns out i dont know how to do that well.
    Send me pics of em

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. Back To Top    #49
    Vehicle
    Porsche Macan S

Quote Originally Posted by olys6 View Post

Interesting problem to solve. I'm following closely because I plan to do something very similar in the next few weeks.

Question: Why did you chose to use a midrange and a tweeter for the center channel? Did you find just using a midrange was not enough?

Ge0
    Scanspeak - Dynaudio - Helix - Bose

10. Back To Top    #50

So like another guy said earlier, just joined this forum so i could give Nick a thanks for this video.

Been watching your other tutorials Nick, and slowly learning the REW process, but I'm having limited success.
    Re-tuned at the weekend using Kyle Ragsdales videos... and its still not as good as it should be.

I cant wait to try this method !!!

Thanks again for all the help you put out there