Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix RTA & Auto EQ - A Car Audio Junkies Exclusive

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Helix RTA & Auto EQ - A Car Audio Junkies Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by banshee28 View Post
    Just watched, this is really nice. Thanks for doing this.

I have a Helix P Six, but never really tried this function. I probably spent WAY too much time on REW like you said vs just working with this built-in free tool! I did learn alot with REW but could have had a nice tune in min's using this. Maybe I will try this and do a A/B vs my "REW" manual tune. Should be interesting...
    Yeah, tried it again last night and its absurd how quick it is, and how accurate it is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Yeah, tried it again last night and its absurd how quick it is, and how accurate it is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I took a break from tuning, as I have been so frustrated I almost pulled the Helix out and put it in classifieds the other day.

But I have un-bunched my panties, and I am gonna watch this video eleven-teen times and try this feature!!! Thanks again for doing this!!!
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    I took a break from tuning, as I have been so frustrated I almost pulled the Helix out and put it in classifieds the other day.

But I have un-bunched my panties, and I am gonna watch this video eleven-teen times and try this feature!!! Thanks again for doing this!!!
    idk why you havent called me for help.. seriously. you are *the* only person that i have seen that feels this way about it

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

I’ve done it in the past like that, and occasionally pretty great results.

In fact in about 45 minutes I tuned up Jeff Hyder’s car with the old V3 version in a Brax DSP/amp including auto-EQ on individual drivers first, then by-ear-TA, then just a whole left and whole right side sanity check.

It seriously makes it pretty darn easy and this is also a good way for a DSP-new guy to learn when they’re new to tuning.

The ability to quickly mod, save and pull up 1/3 octave curve files is way too nice.

Also.. Folks should know, and if I missed it in the video I apologize, that you can select beyond just bar 1/3 octave for the measurement resolution and the look of the curve.. I like 1/6 “line”. All that is in RTA settings.

One thing I didn’t know you could do, or had forgotten it so thanks Nick for that, is importing the cal file for the microphone. Big kudos for showing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

5. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    idk why you havent called me for help.. seriously. you are *the* only person that i have seen that feels this way about it
    It's not the Helix per say, it's that me and it were not made for each other! Lol. I just can't get things working flawlessly. I have it EQed to were it sounds great, but I have that distortion issue that I can't figure out. I want to let the thread I started on diyma get buried because it mentions the GB10s and the issue has nothing to do with them.

Btw, I even got a wifi range extender to try and get wifi in the garage so we can do some remote tuning, but it still doesn't reach! Grrrrr
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

It's not the Helix per say, it's that me and it were not made for each other! Lol. I just can't get things working flawlessly. I have it EQed to were it sounds great, but I have that distortion issue that I can't figure out. I want to let the thread I started on diyma get buried because it mentions the GB10s and the issue has nothing to do with them.

Btw, I even got a wifi range extender to try and get wifi in the garage so we can do some remote tuning, but it still doesn't reach! Grrrrr
    You and that Helix were both made in Germany so surely you can both come to an understanding somehow.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

7. Back To Top    #17
    Real Name
    Keith
    Vehicle
    2016 Jaguar XF-S

Nick - Could you list the tracks you used when you were verifying the sound (TA, etc)? Also, what pink noise track do you use? I've always read to use a female vocal to do TA on the tweeters and mids, and a male vocal for woofers. I'd like to know what tracks are you (or anyone else for that matter) find best for those two situations. I use polarity ticks and have never really liked it.

8. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    You and that Helix were both made in Germany so surely you can both come to an understanding somehow.
    You would think so, right?! Unfortunately, I spent 3 years building a close relationship with MiniDSP and that has me spoiled a bit...

But I'm not giving up yet!!!

#TRUMP2020

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

You would think so, right?! Unfortunately, I spent 3 years building a close relationship with MiniDSP and that has me spoiled a bit...

But I'm not giving up yet!!!
    Yeah me too. I just tolerate the Helix software but it is hard to not be cluttered when there's so much going on for tweakability. The Helix is a far superior unit though unless you lump it in with the 8x12 and Dirac. Even then I'm not sure if the minidsp hardware is as good. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of a Helix failing under normal use but I'm sure it happens occasionally like with anything electronic.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Souths1der View Post
    Nick - Could you list the tracks you used when you were verifying the sound (TA, etc)? Also, what pink noise track do you use? I've always read to use a female vocal to do TA on the tweeters and mids, and a male vocal for woofers. I'd like to know what tracks are you (or anyone else for that matter) find best for those two situations. I use polarity ticks and have never really liked it.
    I won't answer for Nick, but I use just a full-bandwidth pink noise file.. There's a bunch out there but just a good quality clean signal pink noise file just suffice.. You can even output a .wav pink noise file that's pretty good from Room EQ Wizard I believe. I also like band-limited third octave pink noise tracks to narrow in on areas for "ear" work, including checking TA between pairs, and sometimes also for tweets to mids, mids to midbass etc but it's definitely not all that easy I think for phase checking since phase wraps may not be parallel between drivers in the region checked. There's a noise generator app for iOS that will actually allow you to narrow the bandwidth to any width throughout the spectrum. But for the RTA, just full-range PN is appropriate.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did