Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Order of upgrade assistance.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    4Runner

Order of upgrade assistance.

Currently I am running some wavecore tweets, AP Ar3 mid range, Stevens MB8 mid bass HAT Clarus 15" , Focal PFD 6 channel and mono, JL TWK88, and pioneer 4400nex. The end of the first week of November I am having HAT Legatia L1V2 and L4's installed in custom pillars, and L8V2 Mid bass installed in a slightly modified stock location.

I'm working on a quarterly upgrade system. I know it's weird, but its my way of planning. I'm going to break the speakers in and see how things go, but I'm still pretty convinced to upgrade. Head unit(upgrade would be a kenwood ddx9906xr,) amps, DSP(likely a Arc PS8/or Pro w/ controller)<Edit: I'm mostly sold to this because Zapco DSP's kinda worry me at the moment and the installer I have locally is not a dealer for Helix, we tried to order just one. Knoxville isn't the market for that and I want to support him. So it is what it is: Zapco and Arc it is). What order of upgrade would you pick? The only catch is I would probably be able to swing Arc SE series or Zapco AP series amps for the front stage if I pushed those off til the end, using the funds from selling the old gear. (aka i could swing the other smaller purchases then use the cash funds raised from sales to not raise wife complaints, yeah you've been there.) So this is actually a 2 part question. I like to be matchy. So I would actually like to do the Arc amps and DSP. Any thoughts? I mean I had zapco amps back in 2000 but comparing the 2, no idea.

Thank you in advance guys!
    Last edited by Hemoglobin; 10-25-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: clarification on DSP reasoning.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Order of upgrade assistance.

Sounds like you already got the speaker part of the upgrade coming along. I'd upgrade the processor first without a second thought because that will make the most difference. Then do the SE amps since you like to match.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

What audio store are you going to in Knoxville? My buddies Mike and Chris Myers are owners of Sound Factor Warehouse, and do excellent work.

4. Back To Top    #4

Give me the mb8 and you can do whatever you want

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    What audio store are you going to in Knoxville? My buddies Mike and Chris Myers are owners of Sound Factor Warehouse, and do excellent work.
    I wouldn’t go anywhere else around here. Mike and Chris have been awesome. I just try to have some conversation points before I go in to talk to them or message mike, and I mean it’s part of the fun of groups like this. It’s been 2000-2001 since I had a zapco amp. Never owned a Arc. Had eclipse and alpine headunits then. More info the better!

6. Back To Top    #6

I can say the Arc product has been running very well for me. I had the XDi line (as I wanted to stay Class D for space/heat/power reqs) and am in the conversion process to the new Arc line Class D (I wanted some of the newer features). The install shop I go to recently built a car with Arc SE, Kenwood HU and PS8 Pro like you listed above and it sound phenomenal I think. SE are look very elegant installed.

7. Back To Top    #7

As Hillbilly mentioned; upgrade your DSP first, since you already have the speakers covered.
    The DSP will make more of a difference than the amps will.

Those Focal FPD amps are pretty nice. I've owned them before.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

8. Back To Top    #8

Why change the JL Processor?

Kelvin

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    4Runner

There's nothing wrong with the TWK. I just want to consolidate brands/contact points and step up to a slightly higher tier. I think I'm going to go the PS8 w/ controller route, then do the SE Amps for the front stage, then head unit and last a KAR/KS or XDi sub amp. Most of what was said here was on par with other advice I was given, so I'll run with it. I appreciate the advice.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the TWK. I just want to consolidate brands/contact points and step up to a slightly higher tier...
    Is it for show?
    or are there some specific measured things that can be improved?

My list includes lower noise floor, less distortion(s), etc...
    But i agree that it is aesthetically nice to have high tier brand names.