Thread: Low level intermittent static

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Low level intermittent static

A new noise just started occuring in my system.

It's a low level intermittent electronic static/buzzing sound which seems to get worse when driving over rough patches / suspension jolts.

It only occurs with the engine running. It goes away completely by turning the HU volume down to 0. So I believe it is either originating in the HU (Alpine X008U) or maybe originating in the Idatalink Maestro RR or PAC TR1 which supply/control power to the headunit. Maybe a loose or failing component?`

Anybody else have experience this type of issue?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Re: Low level intermittent static

That's probably going to be one of those issues requiring old fashioned troubleshooting time. I would agree that the mute does indicate HU or IDLink. Does any component downstream also mute upon no signal from head unit? Make sure before ruling out those components. Then begin thoroughly checking each connection and wire.
    Meh, it'll play.

3. Back To Top    #3

try simplifying first: if you can unplug the idatalink and/or PAC device, then see if you can reproduce it.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

So this noise has completely disappeared on it's own

Only thing that changed is that I charged the vehicle battery. I don't use an aux battery - just the one under the hood. It is a X2 Power size 24F dual purpose (starting, deep cycle) 76Ah AGM. I performed a couple 20min tuning sessions and thought I should put it on the charger. It took 25 Ah.

Will make sure I use the power supply in the future for any tuning over 10min.

5. Back To Top    #5

best part about problems that go away on their own? come back on their own?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Truthunter View Post
    A new noise just started occuring in my system.

It's a low level intermittent electronic static/buzzing sound which seems to get worse when driving over rough patches / suspension jolts.

It only occurs with the engine running. It goes away completely by turning the HU volume down to 0. So I believe it is either originating in the HU (Alpine X008U) or maybe originating in the Idatalink Maestro RR or PAC TR1 which supply/control power to the headunit. Maybe a loose or failing component?`

Anybody else have experience this type of issue?
    Bad ground somewhere, it doesn't necessarily have to be an audio component ground, either.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

batteries help to filter noise, but only when they are healthy and well charged. So the noise was probably getting through because your battery wasn't charged.