Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: lets talk about DAPs!

1. Back To Top    #61
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Re: lets talk about DAPs!

So I was looking at the Chord Mojo Poly thing.. So the Poly part is a streamer/player with on-board microSD for media, or I believe WIFI or BT input streaming from phone. It plugs into the MOJO which is arguably one of the best portable DAC's on the market and outputs (unfortunately) only headphone analog. But the neat thing about it.. It's controllable remotely from phone or tablet with a player app interface.

Also, there's "Fiio Link" which has this type of remote library player control from phone.. Looks like the M6 has it, and the M6 appears to output coaxial SPDIF or USB.

All this may be redundant but I think it's interesting now that some of these "devices" are beginning to have app-control interfaces from other phones which we all have. So something that will hold media in it and output clean digital from it could be installed sight-unseen.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

2. Back To Top    #62
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2015 Audi S4

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Yep I have one as well and it’s been a solid player.. Picked it up from Jason when he went to the 3rd gen. It’s kinda my main “SQ’y” source via coax SPDIF into the Helix. While yes they weren’t modern with a touch screen etc, they’re a pretty solid player for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Really good thread! I’ve been involved with this topic on DIYMA and on Head-Fi. The OP took a good approach.....line up several on your digital workspace and compare. The thing I saw about DAPs is that ‘one size did not fit all’ - reason there are so many choices. What could be critical to me might not be a thing to Chris.

For me - size was huge - I travel so I want to be able to put the DAP in my pocket, but it needed to be large enough to have the memory I wanted and the screen size I wanted. Some of these monster DAPs are perfect for sitting on a desk at an office (Sony, some of the bigger A&K), but not useful if constantly moving around. Bill’s new A&K KANN is huge, but it is semi-permanently mounted one his FJ.

As Babs indicated, I bought the FiiO X5ii and it was a solid player - not too ‘fancy’ - that is why it worked so well - no Android, no streaming - just a solid player. Then I got ‘lured’ into the Android based, touch screen, etc FiiO X5iii - that is when the problems started, and my dissatisfaction began. It was primarily with the full Android OS and the buggy software / firmware updates. Thing drove me crazy - sounded good, looked good - made me furious.

When I was looking to replace it, the A&K SR15 Norma has just came out. Checked all my boxes - stripped down Android, faster operation, better menus, form factor, and better software / developers (IMO). But with all things - some compromise. I’m using it in the car with analog out. I wish it had coax out, but it has analog and USB out.....my new DSP does not have USB input. So it is analog out for now until I find a USB to SPIDF device I like - and maybe not even then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Back To Top    #63
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

After time with the Bluetooth on the M5 I noticed some static in it that was just enough to ruin the experience. I'll have to pull the headunit and run a line-in so I can keep using it in the truck with a clean static free signal. I don't have a director for the Helix and don't plan on getting one either so no connecting straight to the processor. And it simply won't do audio through usb. The fact it's so small makes it where I can work and work out and barely know it's in my pocket. I use wired buds because I've always thought reasonably priced Bluetooth buds sounded like crap. I do think the internal amp in the M5 is quite nice. And the software isn't buggy at all by my standards. For the active person it's awesome but it's not for everyone. When I'm listening to music I just let it take a sequential path down the list most of the time from whatever starting point I select. I'm culling through some music right now so need to give my whole collection a listen so I can delete what needs to be deleted. There's a lot of reference material that really doesn't do well if I'm trying to work way above standard or get my pump on at the gym. Then while driving the slower stuff keeps me driving like a granny.

If my dap was my primary source in the truck I would do a larger unit in a cup holder style mount. As Jason said everyone wants something slightly different out of their player so having lots of choices is extra nice.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #64
    Real Name
    Bruce
    Vehicle
    4Runner & Altima Coupe

Have any of you tried out the Sony Walkman NW-A45 by any chance? It's available for around $150.
    I've got a budget of $1,000. That should be more than enough.

5. Back To Top    #65
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

. . . or their NW-WM1Z high resolution Walkman ?

6. Back To Top    #66
    Late to the CAJ party customtronic's Avatar
    Vehicle
    2007 Dodge Magnum SRT8

I've been thinking about buying a newer model FiiO to connect by BT to the HU in my motorhome. I have the X1 2nd Gen currently. I haven't tried pairing it to my HU yet but I'm reading lots of posts stating issues trying to pair the two. The M6 and M7 can be found at sale prices right now. Are any of you connecting via BT with any FiiO DAP? I'd like to know which models work best before I hit up Amazon.
    2007 Dodge Magnum SRT8|Custom Panny TX5500W Bottlehead|Zapco HDSP-Z16V DSP|HAT Legatia X and SE front stage|HAT C12 Subs|Zapco Z-AP amps
    1967 Mercedes 250S|Panny VX5500|Helix DSP|HAT Legatia SE and Clarus front stage|HAT C15 sub|Zapco Z-LX amps

7. Back To Top    #67

I'm glad this thread has resurrected cuz I've got questions too! If I were to buy the M11, what is the best way to connect it to the Helix (in my case the DSP.3)? I want the best audio and I will more than likely place the M11 in the center console and control it via external device.

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #68

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    After time with the Bluetooth on the M5 I noticed some static in it that was just enough to ruin the experience. I'll have to pull the headunit and run a line-in so I can keep using it in the truck with a clean static free signal. I don't have a director for the Helix and don't plan on getting one either so no connecting straight to the processor. And it simply won't do audio through usb. The fact it's so small makes it where I can work and work out and barely know it's in my pocket. I use wired buds because I've always thought reasonably priced Bluetooth buds sounded like crap. I do think the internal amp in the M5 is quite nice. And the software isn't buggy at all by my standards. For the active person it's awesome but it's not for everyone. When I'm listening to music I just let it take a sequential path down the list most of the time from whatever starting point I select. I'm culling through some music right now so need to give my whole collection a listen so I can delete what needs to be deleted. There's a lot of reference material that really doesn't do well if I'm trying to work way above standard or get my pump on at the gym. Then while driving the slower stuff keeps me driving like a granny.

If my dap was my primary source in the truck I would do a larger unit in a cup holder style mount. As Jason said everyone wants something slightly different out of their player so having lots of choices is extra nice.
    get a urc.3 if the expense of the director puts you off, you will get substantially better audio from it going direct to the dsp

9. Back To Top    #69

Quote Originally Posted by agm View Post
    I'm glad this thread has resurrected cuz I've got questions too! If I were to buy the M11, what is the best way to connect it to the Helix (in my case the DSP.3)? I want the best audio and I will more than likely place the M11 in the center console and control it via external device.

Thanks!
    I would want to connect it to the optical input using a coax to optical converter

10. Back To Top    #70
    Real Name
    Brian
    Vehicle
    2020 Subaru Outback XT

I use an IBasso DX 150. It has optical out that goes directly to my DSP. No need for a converter. The user interface is not as desirable as Fiio though. I usually just use shuffle while I'm driving anyway.