Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: lets talk about DAPs!

1. Back To Top    #51
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Re: lets talk about DAPs!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    If you use your dap in the car a lot I wouldn't want something as small as the m5. That thing would be a nightmare for daily use like that whereas something the size of an x5 would be a nightmare for bulk in the pocket the way I use a dap at work and gym.

To connect to usb through the headunit do you download the app from fiio onto the dap somehow to do it? I'm having a hard time figuring out how this needs to be done.
    I use the X5 via coaxial.. I've run a coax line and USB line up to the console so I can run phone USB or Fiio SPDIF coax, either.

So the OEM head unit pretty much turns stuff on, that's about it.. However, I will play with it's outputs and see if I can get better at measuring the OEM electrical signals through the DSP out somehow to the Focusrite interface.. I think I need some sort of attenuator for that. So good excuse maybe to look into a DM-RTA audiocontrol piece. Sorry off topic.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

2. Back To Top    #52

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    If you use your dap in the car a lot I wouldn't want something as small as the m5. That thing would be a nightmare for daily use like that whereas something the size of an x5 would be a nightmare for bulk in the pocket the way I use a dap at work and gym.
    I am probably gonna get an M5 and play around with it... You are right the X5 is too bulky to be comfortably mobile, especially for running and the gym.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

3. Back To Top    #53
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    I am probably gonna get an M5 and play around with it... You are right the X5 is too bulky to be comfortably mobile, especially for running and the gym.
    I don't even have my phone on me at the gym ESPECIALLY on leg day. Holy hell talk about unleashing the beast!
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #54

How much difference is there in sound quality between a DAP connected directly to the DSP and a thumb drive playing through the head unit? FLAC files for both if that matters.

5. Back To Top    #55

Quote Originally Posted by Dan17ExplLtd View Post
    How much difference is there in sound quality between a DAP connected directly to the DSP and a thumb drive playing through the head unit? FLAC files for both if that matters.
    At least one less d/a conversion, one less source of clipping, and then whatever the head unit is doing to the sound (if anything)... The audible difference in sound would mostly depend on what your head unit is doing to the sound.
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #56
    Real Name
    Keith
    Vehicle
    2016 Jaguar XF-S

Quote Originally Posted by Dan17ExplLtd View Post
    While not a DAP, I used to connect my Android phone to the Helix via USB HEC. With the phone connected via Bluetooth to the factory system there was noticeable noise from the factory amp. Once I switched to the USB HEC that noise went away. I can't speak for the quality of the music itself, I'm mostly a streamer.

7. Back To Top    #57
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Out of curiosity, I've had a good experience thus far with a Joying head unit in my Subaru and am thinking about going that route with my Insight. They have a digital output... Being digital output, there shouldn't be a real SQ difference between a Joying unit and, say, a nice Fiio unit, correct?

8. Back To Top    #58
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Depends on the quality of parts used in the Joying. I've heard mixed reviews on Joying stuff. On the flip side who's to say Fiio uses super high quality parts where it matters? I'm sure the parts used is at the point where the law of diminishing returns kicks in hard so probably doesn't matter either way unless you have super golden ears.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #59
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Other thing is: You got USB options with something like the Joying. Can always change parts like that later (assuming you can find the device with Android support, of course). It'll be a while before I pull this trigger, but figured it was worth noting for conversation sake.

10. Back To Top    #60
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Alright folks I tried to get my m5 to connect to my Pioneer 501ex double din after Erin was able to successfully connect to it with his phone via usb. Tried different settings in the fiio and no Bueno. I know I'm probably doing something insanely simple wrong because I'm still a n00b with using a dap in the vehicle. Then I tried the Bluetooth audio and it worked! I'm learning the process that my headunit and the fiio wants to pair reliably every time without hassle. It has to be set on "dac" not "storage". I have a factory usb port in my truck that is meant to be used for charging only to keep it charged. As for sound quality I compared a song via Bluetooth to a song on my demo cd that's still in the player. There's a difference but using the sound retriever at the lowest level seems to bring it back close to what the cd was. No clue what the sound retriever does but it worked wonders adding the secret sauce back to the Bluetooth audio so I'm rolling with it. I can do play/pause through the headunit and change tracks through the headunit in Bluetooth audio but that's it. No big deal just something worth mentioning. Looks like I might be able to easily use it in the truck after all.
    Last edited by Hillbilly SQ; 11-10-2019 at 06:17 PM.