Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: lets talk about DAPs!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2019 Subaru Impreza Sport hatch (Ice Silver)

lets talk about DAPs!

I wanted to start this thread to spark a discussion about all things Digital Audio Player Or DAP. if you haven't heard of a DAP you can essentially think of it as a really advanced iPod with the ability to play high resolution audio. we know when the iPod first arrived it was big, clunky, expensive and not very intuitive or easy to use, but as time went on they got smaller, better and we eventually saw things like the iPod touch. I feel this is where we have gotten to with DAPs; of course there are still huge behemoths that cost thousands of dollars and you have to carry them in a backpack (looking at you sony) but thats the cool thing about a free market ecosystem, there are all types for every budget and need. overall the market has grown so much that there are amazing players anywhere from $150-$1000 with streaming capabilities, 2 way lossless bluetooth, and of course the excellent audio reproduction produced by the high quality internal DACs or Digital to Analog Converters.

So you may be asking by now, "Taco, what does this have to do with car audio? I have an iPhone XXXIV that can do all that anyway and shit diamonds"; well I'm glad you asked! in todays era of tricked out cars and all in one phones that can replace your computer, camera, and iPod; things like audio quality and authentic sound reproduction are often looked over. (this is why you are on a forum for custom car audio ya dingus!)

That is where the DAP comes in, to be the best of the best, go to audio source that can play high resolution audio files to their full potential, whether it be over high quality bluetooth, SPIDIF/Optical out to the DSP, balanced, or almost any other way you could think of.

And so, the mid-range price bracket is exactly where I would like to start this conversation, as it just so happens I am in the market for one of these little bad boys myself, and just recently a number of new devices have come out that are bringing a lot to the table for a really good price and the competition is hot!

Let's take a look at the Top three I have narrowed down in my Sub $500 budget.

1. FiiO M11 ($450)

The good!:
    * Extremely fast processor (Samsung Exynos 7872, 3gb ram)
    * Large Display 5.5 in
    * 2.5mm, 3.5mm, 4.4mm Headphone outputs
    * USB C Audio out, SPDIF audio out
    * Can be used as a PC sound card / dac
    * 2 way LDAC bluetooth streaming and receiver
    * AptX, AptX HD, LDAC, LHDC codec support, BT 4.2
    * 32 gb internal storage, 2 Micro SD card slots for up to 2tb
    * Hardware volume wheel
    * 3800mAh battery (QC 2.0)
    * 2.4/5ghz wifi AC

Bad/not good:
    > Low resolution display (720p, 312ppi)
    > Large and chunky design
    > Subjective, but from what I have been reading the sound output from this device is a bit shallow and uninspiring
    > Android 7.1, no Google play store
    > No MQA support

2. HiBy R5 ($400)

The good!:
    * Full android 8.1 with google play store
    * Large battery (3500mAh, QC 3.0, PD 2.0)
    * Dual CS43198 DACs (same as iBasso dx160)
    * Monster amplification 1040mW+1040mW@16Ω, 564mW+564mW@32Ω
    * 3.5mm, 4.4mm Balanced, and USB C audio out
    * Can be used as a PC sound card / DAC
    * 2 way LDAC bluetooth streaming and receiver (BT 4.2)
    * MQA support
    * DTA for bit perfect digital audio out via USB C
    * Compact size
    * Super low SNR ratio and noise floor

Bad/not good:
    > Smaller low resolution screen (4in 300ppi)
    > Only 2gb Ram
    > No hardware volume/scroll wheel
    > Slower Snapdragon 425 CPU
    > Only 802.11n wifi afaik
    > 16gb internal storage, 1 Micro SD slot

3. iBasso dx160 ($400)

The good!:
    * Newest of the bunch
    * Two Way Bluetooth 5.0 LDAC streaming
    * Dual CS43198 DACs (same as HiBy r5)
    * MQA, DSD256, and PCM 32bit/348kHz decoding
    * Android 8.1 with Fast 8-core processor
    * Can be used as a PC sound card / DAC
    * Compact design with Gorgeous 5in 1080p screen (Massive ppi of 445)
    * Also has a really low SNR ratio and noise floor
    * 3200 mAh battery, QC3.0, PD 2.0
    * Hardware scroll Wheel / Volume (obviously I really like these )
    * 3.5mm, 4.4mm Balanced, Coaxial and USB C audio out
    * 802.11 b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5GHz)
    * 32 gb internal storage

Bad/not good:
    > USB C port is on the top, which makes mounting in the car more cumbersome
    > Only 2gb of RAM
    > no google play store

So! let me know what you think, what would your choice be? would you even use one? what would you use it for?

I know for me personally I plan to run one of these bad boys straight to my DSP to bypass my crappy sounding stock HU while retaining all of the factory functions of the car and head unit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2000 Honda Insight

Re: lets talk about DAPs!

I've been eyeballing going this route myself... straight digital to the DSP. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...

3. Back To Top    #3

Nice thread, man!! I am a big DAP fan, especially using them as a source and connecting them via digital directly to the DSP. I will NEVER go back to trying to integrate a crappy OEM h/u into my systems.

I have had a number of them... Currently, I am using a Fiio X5 in the car and a Fiio X3 2nd gen for home and travel.

The worst DAP I have ever had was the Fiio M9.

I also like to make little mounts for them...

2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

4. Back To Top    #4
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    Nice thread, man!! I am a big DAP fan, especially using them as a source and connecting them via digital directly to the DSP. I will NEVER go back to trying to integrate a crappy OEM h/u into my systems.

I have had a number of them... Currently, I am using a Fiio X5 in the car and a Fiio X3 2nd gen for home and travel.

The worst DAP I have ever had was the Fiio M9.

I also like to make little mounts for them...
    Thanks!! that mount is awesome! I may need to commission some work from you when I get mine

I was really considering going the FiiO route, but the more I look at that iBasso... man that thing is sweet.

5. Back To Top    #5

I've looked at them, and at one point I was going to get a Fiio X7 MkII, but now that iBasso came out with the DX200 / DX220, those pique'd my interest because of the chipsets. Twin ESS Sabre 9028Pro DAC chips! My home DAC uses twin ESS Sabre 9038Pro chips and it sounds freakin' awesome. My DAC in my office at work (Ressonesence Concero HD) also uses an ESS Sabre chip, but it's a lower-line, but still sounds freakin' good to my ears.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Keith
    Vehicle
    2016 Jaguar XF-S

So with the Fiio X5, how are you connecting to the Helix?

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I've looked at them, and at one point I was going to get a Fiio X7 MkII, but now that iBasso came out with the DX200 / DX220, those pique'd my interest because of the chipsets. Twin ESS Sabre 9028Pro DAC chips! My home DAC uses twin ESS Sabre 9038Pro chips and it sounds freakin' awesome.
    I've heard nothing but great things about those as well, it's crazy the level of hardware they are stuffing into these things now. and those swappable Amp modules are pretty cool too. I think I saw a micro tube amp, wtf!??!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tacofox View Post
    I've heard nothing but great things about those as well, it's crazy the level of hardware they are stuffing into these things now. and those swappable Amp modules are pretty cool too. I think I saw a micro tube amp, wtf!??!
    Heck yea, oh and my phone also has an ESS Sabre DAC! It's an LG V30, and it's got some mobile version of those Sabre DACs. Makes stock stereo's/speakers sound pretty good too! What can I say, I'm a firm believer.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tacofox View Post
    Thanks!! that mount is awesome! I may need to commission some work from you when I get mine

I was really considering going the FiiO route, but the more I look at that iBasso... man that thing is sweet.
    Thanks! The iBasso are nice! I got used to Fiios, so I kinda just stuck with them for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Souths1der View Post
    So with the Fiio X5, how are you connecting to the Helix?
    Digital coax cable with a TRRS 3.5mm on one end...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

10. Back To Top    #10

My OCD and install criteria has narrow down my options... They must have digital output (which most of the better ones do), they MUST have all of the connections coming out of the bottom (because I don't want them sticking up into my vehicle), and the buttons must be on the side or front (not top or bottom).

#TRUMP2020