Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another Work Truck Build - 05 Silverado

1. Back To Top    #41

Re: Another Work Truck Build - 05 Silverado

So I originally planned for tweeters in the sails and mids in the pillars. I wasn't too sure about aiming or enclosures with these 89EX's so I set out to build a test box.

I'm looking at them on the bench and thinking about where to find a box about 4"x4"x3" so it would be close to the recommended enclosure/pod size compromise I came up with.

And there it was, so I began
    Needed a mounting surface. 1/8 abs I had laying around

Stiffened up with some duct tape

A few layers later I had a box stiff enough to do the job and still pliable enough to wedge in to the dash and windshield at different angles.

It took me 20 minutes to fabricate the first one and 8 for the second.

2. Back To Top    #42

My original plan was to just drill a hole in the center of the sail for the tweeters and press fit. It looked good, fit perfect. However I didn't realize the drivers side dash was blocking half the sail. Put it in and couldn't see my tweeter!

Not a big deal with small tweets I'll just move them to the top of the sail. Nope. The metal of the door prevents flush mounting. Well now I need to build little pods. Damnit.

I decided to try some JB weld wood putty.

By the time the rough shape was formed it seemed really heavy and awkward. I just didn't like it. Back to old faithful. PVC pipe.

That's as far as I get with those. Right now the tweeters are Velcroed to the doors.

3. Back To Top    #43

The test boxes for the mids worked great so It was time to fiberglass up some pods.

Abs ring, popsicle sticks, and hot glue

These rings are recycled from a time long ago. Before I owned a Jasper circle jig

Grill cloth stretched

The stuff....

Resined

Mat applied like a 4 year old did it. I tried to put strands in bunches. A boat guy said it's how you do a boat patch. Ut sure not how you do pods!

Last edited by Theslaking; 11-15-2019 at 05:36 PM.

4. Back To Top    #44

Started over

This time I super glued the grill cloth to the pillar. Worked great.

Reused half of one

Back to the way that worked before for me. Cut shapes, soak in resin with a brush, apply

I sanded and threw some rage gold and popped the in.

5. Back To Top    #45

After installing I realized I have enough room to throw the tweeters in the pod. So I'll be scrapping the sail panel idea. If you look at the pics closely you'll see how the rounded bottoms don't really follow where it meets the dash. Secondly I now realize I can push the speakers back another inch or two. I'm going to remakes these again.

I'm going to try a new technique thought of but the ancient wise one's. Aluminum mesh pod forming.
    David this pic is for you!

Last edited by Theslaking; 11-15-2019 at 05:38 PM.

6. Back To Top    #46

I also started the center console sub box.

7. Back To Top    #47

Quote Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
    After installing I realized I have enough room to throw the tweeters in the pod. So I'll be scrapping the sail panel idea. If you look at the pics closely you'll see how the rounded bottoms don't really follow where it meets the dash. Secondly I now realize I can push the speakers back another inch or two. I'm going to remakes these again.

I'm going to try a new technique thought of but the ancient wise one's. Aluminum mesh pod forming.
    David this pic is for you!
    I'm looking forward to it!
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

8. Back To Top    #48

I was looking too see what GM interface I used as a friend has the same truck.

I forgot I had this build log on here.
    I also forgot it was unfinished.
    I got stuff done.
    I'll have to get the pics together and complete this.