1. Back To Top    #31

Re: Another Work Truck Build - 05 Silverado

Sanded

3 coats SPI epoxy primer

3 coats paint

Came out well. Stupid rear view camera wire got in the last coat

2. Back To Top    #32

The floor in the truck gets ridiculously hot. Like actually burn you where the exhaust bend close to the floor. So I took the opportunity for mitigation. I used some foil insulation wrap as my new jute padding. It's really two fold. It provides some padding but it's waterproof and obviously prevents the heat. Worked better than I hoped. It went from can't touch to barely warm.

3. Back To Top    #33

Cleaned up dash wiring

After

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

I was shocked to see what that moron did to your truck but now impressed with how you saved it.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

5. Back To Top    #35

That's one hell of a clean up, man! Freakin awesome!

Now I'm looking for some tweeter pods that you formed out of aluminum...
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

6. Back To Top    #36

Yeah it would have been a total loss for most. Shops would have wanted 3500+ in labor and they wouldn't have been capable of taking apart the head unit, disc drives, breaker controller, etc. So it all would have had to have been purchased new. More than $2000 in parts. Things like the button you push to have the dome light come on or off when you open the door have small cogs, slides, and springs that had to get taken out cleaned and re-greased. I could go on. I spent several hours just on the head unit.

I was super excited to get home. I got the call saying the blasting was done. I'm like sweet. I'll get that thing primed tonight and ready for paint. Only 1 door card was on the truck. I left it because I was told each door would be covered anyway. I remember the feeling when I opened the door. It was absolute disbelief. It was one off the few times I've heard my wife swear in 17 years. It took the cake on all dumbassary I have ever seen.

7. Back To Top    #37

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    That's one hell of a clean up, man! Freakin awesome!

Now I'm looking for some tweeter pods that you formed out of aluminum...
    I didn't get to posting that part yet. I haven't made any aluminum mesh ones yet but I got some pics working up to it.

8. Back To Top    #38
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Glad to see you got it done right. What ever happened with the dingleberry that messed it up?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

He could have spent days wrapping stuff in plastic. It would not have mattered much. If he has sandblasted anything prior to this he no doubt knew this, and should have told you as much. Wire wheel and rust converter would have been the way to go.

10. Back To Top    #40

He media blast cars all the time. I've seen my friend do it and worked on the car afterward. It works great when properly prepped. This time he sent a douchebag and that's what I got. Rust convertor is not the best product for this job. It's best used on heavy rust. A rust sealer like por15 would have been better in this situation. However sanding/media blasting is always best of there is enough metal to sustain a paintable surface.