Thread: Helix RealCenter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

Helix RealCenter

anyone have any experience with the RealCenter feature on newer helix dsps? i've always kind of hated the concept of 2 seat cars and am thinking of picking up a dsp mini to run a center in my car, with the thinking that i could always have two presets if it really has a negative impact on driver-only sound for when i'm alone. i'd likely pick up a single audiofrog gs42 to run in the factory center location, should fit without too much trouble. i generally work from home rather than the office so most of my driving involves road trips with my girl or friends, and the passenger seat sounds like absolute shit (as any single seat tune does), would be cool if i could get at least decent sound in both seats. i've been trying to hold out for the audiofrog dsp, but seems like it's going to still be quite some time before we end up seeing that thing, and i'm not convinced it'll be released in my price range...i've thought about trying to pick up a used ms8, but not sure i like the limitations, and they also have the bluetooth echo issue.

also curious regarding tuning best-practices when running a center. i imagine TA is still useful to some extent, though not sure exactly how it would be run - perhaps with respect to the center channel? seems there's not a whole lot of info around with center channels and manual tuning, i figured the center would have become a little more popular w/ the helix dsp's adding in decent support.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Re: Helix RealCenter

RealCenter works great for both one and two seat tunes. I set my Optima up with one of each and although I can tell a difference, I usually keep it in two seat. As far as TA what I have found to work best is just measuring to the center of the car at ear height. That keeps it equal for both sides. I also EQ from the center of the car. It is off slightly on each side, but I haven't seen it be too bad. Ive trie to EQ to just my seat and the passengers never seem to notice the subtle changes, so that may be a way to get more enjoyment for yourself and still improving things for the passengers.
    Doug Dobson

3. Back To Top    #3
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

thanks for the info, much appreciated! i may have to go bug the guys at musicar nw for a new dsp soon...i suspect eq'ing from driver seat ought to be okay in my case.

are you doing any processing on the l/r channels with the center? someone over in one of the threads in DIYMA mentioned removing the center channel info from each, though not sure that entirely makes sense, think most of the other upmixers just reduce volume on shared info rather than cutting completely.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

The algorithm that Audiotec Fischer created doesn't do anything to the stereo signal al all. I haven't had much luck when trying to reduce the center information from the left and right channels. You can play with the ratios of input signals and see what you think, but to me taking out the shared information didn't widen anything or help the stage in any way for me at all. I'll keep playing though, its what I get pad to do.
    Doug Dobson

5. Back To Top    #5
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

good to know, thank you sir! guess i need to start saving my pennies for an amp, centerchannel & a dsp

6. Back To Top    #6
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
    RealCenter works great for both one and two seat tunes. I set my Optima up with one of each and although I can tell a difference, I usually keep it in two seat. As far as TA what I have found to work best is just measuring to the center of the car at ear height. That keeps it equal for both sides. I also EQ from the center of the car. It is off slightly on each side, but I haven't seen it be too bad. Ive trie to EQ to just my seat and the passengers never seem to notice the subtle changes, so that may be a way to get more enjoyment for yourself and still improving things for the passengers.
    Heck. Almost every person getting in your car even with a driver side tune will think it sounds really good. Just turn it up. When it gets louder and stays clean they think it's good

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Ross
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Tundra

I’ve been running RealCenter with a Helix Mini for several months now. I have no left-to-right time alignment set at all, based on Doug’s recommendation several months ago, when I spoke to him on the phone. This matches-up with what Andy W. said about the tune in his Mercedes using the much-anticipated Multi-Seat Stereo processor he’s running. I think my truck sounds amazingly good, using the Real Center upmixer. I’ve learned getting the center level correct vs the left and right has a noticeable affect on placement of the vocals. I’ve thought of adding the normal time alignment in and attempting a more typical one-seat tune, but haven’t done so yet. With my current tune I did EQ and level-match from the driver’s seat, so while it a 2-seat tune, it does have driver’s seat bias.

Not claiming any expertise, but feel free to ask questions, because that’s how we all learn. Doug Dobson is definitely much more qualified on all things Helix, I’m just an enthusiastic user.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2023 Mazda CX-5

very cool, thanks for the input metanium! seems like this generally works very well, so ill likely be giving this a shot sometime in the near future.