Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sound deadening

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Sound deadening

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    How can you tell if a deadener is vinyl based?
    It has no aluminum layer, is super stiff, and needs to be heated to become pliable enough to install. Looks just like OEM sound deadener that you see on floors. I pulled a bunch of large crumbs of it out of my friends door last year lol. I have installed it before and while it did a good job, I was worried after seeing that happen. So when I got into sound deadening, i asked manufacturers about it. Long story short, they only use it on the floor for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Oh OK. Sounds like a nightmare for clogged door drains.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

Quote Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
    Do you have a picture of this product? That sounds interesting.
    They come in various sizes. This meal service is Freshly. I've been saving up the insulation

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j3XfYTmNpEiz3hQz7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/3un1sTbVZ7qrtuea8

4. Back To Top    #24

I guess its all relative to what you're looking to get out of the job. I've seen some people put just a sheet or two in the center of the inner door, seal the door and that's it. On the flipside, Ive seen others cover as much as possible/ Every single inch covered, and also add CCF/Sludge and all type of other materials. All depends what level of sound you're trying to achieve.
    Car- 2010 BMW 335i Convertible
    Audio- TBD

5. Back To Top    #25

I was absolutely blown away by the difference when I deadened the doors in my Impala (just the Noico deadener and CCF). The midbass was just *so* much better... I also did the roof and it took care of the vibration sounds from the bass. It's a pain in the ass to install, but it's worth it!

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    I pulled a bunch of large crumbs of it out of my friends door last year lol. I have installed it before and while it did a good job, I was worried after seeing that happen. So when I got into sound deadening, i asked manufacturers about it. Long story short, they only use it on the floor for a reason.

Curious what you think caused the vinyl based deadener to crump in the door? Maybe the adhesive was NG. I’ve had that stuff in my truck for 2 years now and the last time I was in there 6 months ago it was perfectly fine and still 100% stuck on.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    Curious what you think caused the vinyl based deadener to crump in the door? Maybe the adhesive was NG. I’ve had that stuff in my truck for 2 years now and the last time I was in there 6 months ago it was perfectly fine and still 100% stuck on.
    Manufacturer tells me combination of temperature while also being on a thin, flat panel that sees extreme temperature fluctuations (like an outer door skin). Combination of itself heating up and cooling off (expanding and contracting) coupled with whatever its stuck to doing the same thing is not a good recipe. Butyl on the other hand is able to move with the panel as it changes.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Ahh, thanks Nick for the detailed explanation
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

9. Back To Top    #29

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Just curious how most people handle this, in order to allow for internal door access if/when needed.
    Most of the time I use aluminum rivets and hdpe. Material choice is on purpose and two fold. The panel and fasteners won't rust and are soft for extremely easy drilling. It takes less time to drill out an aluminum rivet than it does to unscrew a bolt.