Thread: Battery powered routers

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Battery powered routers

Have any of you guys used a battery powered router? Do they have enough ass to use with 3/4” MDF? If so, about how long will a battery last?

Id like to find a quality one, that will work for a multiple speaker holes, countersinking, bullnoses, chamfers, etc. in multiple mediums (MDF, marine board, ABS, etc). I’m thinking 2 HP or better, and hopefully work with a Jasper Circle Jig.

$250-$300 budget. Any recommendations?
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Battery powered routers

Do they even make a 2HP cordless router? I really thought they were all mostly compact hand routers in the 1/3-3/4 hp range.

I don't personally own one a battery router, but like all battery powered tools, first things first to to choose a battery platform.

Do you own battery tools? If so I would try to choose a router that will utilize your existing batteries and chargers. If you don't already have a platform, then I would suggest Milwaukee... I think for the price they have the best batteries. The tool is only as good as the battery powering it.

I have a bunch of festool stuff and its really nice, but their batteries are heavy and big, and once I got a few of the Milwaukee fuel batteries and tools (I have a few m12 and m18) I was totally sold on them. Super light weight, tons of power and the batteries last forever. Some of my batteries are way over 10 years old and still function 100%

3. Back To Top    #3

The Milwaukee M18 cordless router bundle at home depot website is a super price. $199 for the router, 2 batteries, a charger and a bag. Normally is $478 as the router itself is already 199!
    i want that router too but just the bare tool (have several other M18 items already).
    (It's a 1.25 hp router)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Have any of you guys used a battery powered router? Do they have enough ass to use with 3/4” MDF? If so, about how long will a battery last?

Id like to find a quality one, that will work for a multiple speaker holes, countersinking, bullnoses, chamfers, etc. in multiple mediums (MDF, marine board, ABS, etc). I’m thinking 2 HP or better, and hopefully work with a Jasper Circle Jig.

$250-$300 budget. Any recommendations?
    I've got one of these, I'll let you know how it does with 3/4" plywood, in a few weeks.
    https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...router/dcw600b

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    The Milwaukee M18 cordless router bundle at home depot website is a super price. $199 for the router, 2 batteries, a charger and a bag. Normally is $478 as the router itself is already 199!
    i want that router too but just the bare tool (have several other M18 items already).
    (It's a 1.25 hp router)
    And that's the FUEL! Smokin deal! Almost bought one myself yesterday, but I have a router and don't use it very often. I bought the M18 wet/dry vacuum instead

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by diy.phil View Post
    (It's a 1.25 hp router)
    Wow thanks for the heads up!!! I just picked up 2 more m18 batteries and got a free tool! I ended up grabbing the cordless jig saw as mine is ancient and still corded.

If anyone is seriously shopping power tools right now the HD deal is a steal... For $599 you can get 6 tools (in any configuration), 2 batteries, charger, and a bag with free shipping. That's way over $1K in tools.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured...-5yc1vZ2fkp64u

7. Back To Top    #7

Be sure you guys don't pay for the Milwaukee Inkzall pen! Everytime i see the milwaukee truck in home depot parking lot, i'll go in to look for the rep, say i have plenty of M18 stuff and just want a free pen lol

edit: my latest Milwaukee thing is an 8m/26 ft tape measure. I finally got a metric tape measure lol. Some of the things i measure are made in metric units.
    Last edited by diy.phil; 11-10-2020 at 06:10 PM.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah, HD has some good Milwaukee deals running again right now. You gotta watch 'em though. They'll show you a tool for one price, then you go to the next page and they have the same tool, cheaper, with a kit.

My favorite is still the 12V FUEL 1/4" impact with the small form factor battery. When I was installing commercial stuff, 90 something percent of the time I could get away with only that and all the right bits and a pouch. It's light & small so it doesn't pull your pants down or get in the way. And it has oodles of power along with great control. A little OT I know, but it made my 18v tools obsolete. Everybody who turns bolts & screws should have one. It ain't bad for poppin' holes in stuff either.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
    Yeah, HD has some good Milwaukee deals running again right now. You gotta watch 'em though. They'll show you a tool for one price, then you go to the next page and they have the same tool, cheaper, with a kit.

My favorite is still the 12V FUEL 1/4" impact with the small form factor battery. When I was installing commercial stuff, 90 something percent of the time I could get away with only that and all the right bits and a pouch. It's light & small so it doesn't pull your pants down or get in the way. And it has oodles of power along with great control. A little OT I know, but it made my 18v tools obsolete. Everybody who turns bolts & screws should have one. It ain't bad for poppin' holes in stuff either.
    This exactly^^^

I have a bunch of m18 stuff and I love it, but the m18 impact and drill driver are really in-shop tools, when I have a bench to put them on... or I need to drive decking screws all day long, or on some sort of site where there is no power when corded tools are needed. Even then the m12 stuff still comes along.

I mostly wrench on cars these days and in a remodel on my house... I use the m12 for 90% of everything I do. The impact driver gets used by far the most. It lasts all day taking apart cars, sometimes I need to change a battery but its rare. I rarely need to get a bigger tool unless something is really stuck, and that's what pneumatic tools are for.

10. Back To Top    #10

I was filing MDF with a manual file until I got tired and mad. Then I looked up if they make an M18 filer... didn't see any. Then I came across a something made by Reciprotools and it should fit in my hackzall. Got the adapter and 4 types of file on order from amazon. They have brushes and other attachments too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201122_204430.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	14668  
    Last edited by diy.phil; 11-22-2020 at 10:50 PM.