Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amplifier wire termination suggestions.

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: Amplifier wire termination suggestions.

I just take extra care with bare wire and crank down on it. If there's too much exposed I trim a little off and try again. With speaker wire I double it up at the end so the set screw will have twice as much to sink its teeth into. Seems to be way more secure this way.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #12

does that crimping tool work good,i need one

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I tried using ferrules for the first time with my JL Audio XD600/6V2 amp. I had issues though - they actually caused issues with the "clamps" used by JL Audio for the speaker wires. All seemed fine until I went to remove the speaker wires. I found that the top part of the "wire clamp" (not sure what the technical name is - it's a flat piece of metal that pushes down onto the wires as you tighten them) actually came off completely! This happened on multiple channels. It seems that the ferrules were just a little too "stiff" for the type of connections on the JL amp.

I guess there is a reason why JL specifically says "bare wires" in the owners manual. :-)

So I'd be careful with ferrules when certain types of amps!
    I don’t have JL amps...but I have to agree with jtrosky here. I use ferrules for anything bigger than 8 AWG; but after that I find that they are just a pain in the ass. Not all the strands will go in (or the ferrule is slightly too big), but the big one for me is that at times the clamp doesn’t actually lock the cable into the ferrule enough and the cables come out randomly. In fact because they are in a ferrule it’s like they are sitting inside the perfect environment to allow the cables to slide out!

In my latest install I didn’t use any for the speaker terminals. You could solder them to the ferrules I guess...but I just twist the cable and put it where it is supposed to go. No problems and no assing about with goddam ferrules!!

On runs of 0 AWG power cable etc. though yeah...definitely use ferrules.

4. Back To Top    #14

I agree ferrules don't make sense for most input terminals. Those grub screws strip out on soft bare copper half the time, forget about trying to get them to bite onto a metal tube.

5. Back To Top    #15

I later realized that the issue with ferrules and my JL amp was that the ferrules with the colored "collars" on them just didn't go into the JL Audio speaker terminals far enough (the JL amp speaker terminals are very "deep"), which is what caused the JL speaker wire "clamps" to come off (too much pressure was put on the front of the clamp instead of the whole clamp). I *could* have fixed that with the ferrules that don't have that colored "collars", but I left well enough alone - I didn't have any issues using bare wire ends. Turns out that the ferrules were a solution in search of a problem. :-)

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Josh
    Vehicle
    2016 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I later realized that the issue with ferrules and my JL amp was that the ferrules with the colored "collars" on them just didn't go into the JL Audio speaker terminals far enough (the JL amp speaker terminals are very "deep"), which is what caused the JL speaker wire "clamps" to come off (too much pressure was put on the front of the clamp instead of the whole clamp). I *could* have fixed that with the ferrules that don't have that colored "collars", but I left well enough alone - I didn't have any issues using bare wire ends. Turns out that the ferrules were a solution in search of a problem. :-)
    I have had the same issue on a few occassions. Really frustrating to have to go back on stuff like this (because of course it happens in the most awkward spots possible!).

However I have a pile of high quality ferrule terminations that are destined for the bin or GumTree (an Australian local buy/sell site)...what was the other problem you solved with them? :thumbsup:

7. Back To Top    #17

Ferrules are the best.

For the post above, you can get ferrules with longer tubes.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

For all my small gauge wire I've been using 8mm long, non-insulated wire ferrules, and a four mandrel (square) crimp style. I haven't had any issues and by chance I've actually been using them on JL XD amps (soon to upgrade to JL HD amps )

Here are the ferrules I use specifically:
    https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-AWG-L...strial&sr=1-10
    Last edited by Chris12; 11-15-2020 at 12:08 PM.

9. Back To Top    #19

Yeah, originally, I bought this kit, which have the plastic "collar" on them - and these are the ones that caused me grief with the JL XD amp (when I had to remove the speaker wires later, I found that they didn't go into the speaker terminals far enough and ended up causing the "clamp" inside the terminal to fall off):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Then after someone mentioned the type without the collar (but still for thinner wires), I bought the exact same ones you linked to above. However, I never even bothered to use them - just left things as they are with bare wires. I figured why fix something that isn't broke... Good to know they work well with the XD amp though - if I ever need to disconnect the speaker wires, maybe I'll throw the ferrules on since I already bought them anyway. :-)

I had used the type without the collar for thicker wires (4AWG, etc), but didn't realize they existed for thinner wires like speaker wires, until after the fact.