1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Re: Subwoofer Recommendation/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonic View Post
    Is planar isobaric an option?
    I wouldn't rule it out, but am curious your thoughts regarding this? Unless you think double 15" subs sealed could be an option

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    The SD3-10 works awesome in a .97 cu ft ported enclosure tuned to 31 Hz. It has nice accurate deep bass in my truck and the semi shallow nature of the subwoofer works well for shallow spaces.This box fits nicely behind the seats of my regular cab F150.

here are some pictures.

Attachment 7299Attachment 7300Attachment 7301
    Interesting... they show some of the SD-3 8" on their yard sale still available, I did wonder if they could be used in a similar ported enclosure to what the SA-8 v1.5 used - had a pair of those before ported and absolutely enjoyed them.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Quote Originally Posted by chithead View Post
    I wouldn't rule it out, but am curious your thoughts regarding this? Unless you think double 15" subs sealed could be an option
    I haven't used any form of isobaric setup for 20ish years and I used a clam-shell arrangement because it's easiest. The thing I liked about it was the bass seemed more linear and punchier to me. That could be nostalgia or psycho-acoustics talking though.

Kicker makes a shallow L7 now if you're trying to get as much surface area as possible.

3. Back To Top    #23
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Those L7T do look pretty neat, but I can't help thinking they are just a Comp VT with an L7 cone on there. I've had some L7 10s before, and they were quite surprising. Most people write them off as not being, "SQ" - but I thought they actually sounded good. Dug lower than any 10" I had tried up to that point... until getting a JBL W10GTi - even then, I think the L7 had just a touch more output. Probably distortion though making it appear louder.

I like the idea of those Q Class L7 - the 8" seemed appealing, but can't justify the price for four of them.

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Check this out:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	7312

5. Back To Top    #25
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Right but, do you want yours to stick out that far? That's easy if so. I mean, you could even build a matched shape to the top cushion, oversized just a tad, and install pretty robust speakers that way.

I assumed you were after a more stealth approach.

I really like the SD3 and would recommend them to you. A trio/quartet of the 8's, or maybe a pair of the 10's. Sealed would be "easy", ported more difficult but potentially excellent rewards.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Honestly, stealth would be more my choice. Quad ported 8" sounds very entertaining...

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Honestly, stealth would be more my choice. Quad ported 8" sounds very entertaining...
    It may end up being a cubic space problem. Ported 8's are going to take significant space, even just a pair of them would, if tuned low. That said, it could be effective to run a pair that way.

I would say, before putting too much more into it, thought wise, get some true modeling done either on paper or on sketch3d or whatever, to know the available cubic space. My guess is that you have only ~2 cubic feet total, max.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Wish I could match brands because of some weird OCD about that - the rest of the speakers are Audiofrog, but those GS12D4 subwoofers on Clearance sale from their website are just too tall I believe.

Did have this theory though, mostly from my ripole resarch, about mounting the motor outside the enclosure. Did receive a confirmation that it should work. Basically, just cut a circle the size of the subwoofer motor into the rear enclosure wall, drop the sub in with the motor pushing outwards, and make sure it seals up perfectly. This still allows the subwoofer to, "see" the internal volume, but allows a little more room for a regular frame subwoofer with better excursion.

The problem with this truck though, is there is 8.75" towards the front of the rear seat, but it slopes down to just over 7" near the back cab wall, so a 7.75" total height subwoofer (GS12D4) doesn't quite work.
    Would it help to angle the baffle, so the motor of the sub is parallel with the slope of the seat? Iirc, you were attempting to do this with the fideens or eideens in the Challenger?!
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Quote Originally Posted by Lanson View Post
    It may end up being a cubic space problem. Ported 8's are going to take significant space, even just a pair of them would, if tuned low. That said, it could be effective to run a pair that way.

I would say, before putting too much more into it, thought wise, get some true modeling done either on paper or on sketch3d or whatever, to know the available cubic space. My guess is that you have only ~2 cubic feet total, max.
    Touché.

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    Would it help to angle the baffle, so the motor of the sub is parallel with the slope of the seat? Iirc, you were attempting to do this with the fideens or eideens in the Challenger?!
    Thought about that, but would still end up with an upfiring into the seat setup.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Vehicle
    2016 Ford Escape SE & 2020 Nissan Rogue SV

Thought about that, but would still end up with an upfiring into the seat setup.
    You could fire them up and build a panel for the seat bottom that makes it more solid or build a top for the box that slot loads the woofers.