Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer Recommendation/Discussion

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Subwoofer Recommendation/Discussion

Wanted to start a discussion regarding subwoofer recommendation, specifically for a truck, but possibly could apply to other vehicles as well. Recently picked up, a pickup truck. It is a quad cab, has the rear 60/40 split seat. This space underneath seems like a very logical location for allocating subwoofer(s) and amplifier(s). The discussion I'd like to open up, is how do we choose what subwoofer(s) to use? It seems simple enough. There is this amount of space, so put this that utilizes that much volume there. But how do we know it's the right choice?

For example, our truck has this beautiful weather mat that is a perfect addition for my sometimes not so neat son. It's wonderful to just yank the mat, spray it off, and put back inside. Protects the carpet. So going out and purchasing a prefab enclosure is not an option for my particular installation. That and it seems any company making a subwoofer enclosure right now, fabricates one for the crew cab because it has more floor space, but haven't seen any options at this time for the quad cab. Anywho, so the height of the enclosure is already affecting a choice right there. Naturally, a shallow mount subwoofer becomes recommended, but that puts it either upfiring, or downfiring. I've heard a few truck installations where the subwoofers are upfiring, and they've always been, frankly, less than exceptional. Undesirable is a good word. Even with regular non shallow mount subwoofers. Why is that? Does the seat bottom absorb sound waves, causing cancellation? No hard surface to reflect from? Is it because these installations typically include a pair of subwoofers under the left and right rear seat, and the spacing between could be causing cancellation? Would downfiring a shallow mount subwoofer achieve better results?

I ask, because of the desire to take this discussion even further. If we are strictly limited to shallow mount subwoofers, which often work best in sealed enclosures and have a higher FS - would a smaller cone subwoofer be a better choice, in a ported enclosure? I know, I know. Blasphemy. Some smaller cone subs spec to have lower FS, and a higher Xmax, but would that indeed have an increased output, and still cover low frequencies well enough for a, "SQ" install? Would cabin volume be another contributing factor to whether the smaller ported subwoofer could indeed outperform a sealed shallow mount? I imagine if this was in the trunk of a car, it would be an interesting discussion as well.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Re: Subwoofer Recommendation/Discussion

Ported subs can work great in a truck. It depends on the truck and goals, but low frequency extension is definitely possible with 6.5's or 8's. Total SPL usually has a nod with the shallow units. I gravitate toward the SD-3 10" if the space allows for it. Given the sub has no back vent, it fits in more shallow locations than most expect. SQ is good, durability is good, and the inverse surround aids in making them fit in tough places. Might not be shallow enough for all trucks, but I did fit an SD3 10" in a Tundra extended cab, so there's hope.

Which truck, the 2019 RAM? Can we get some pics and measurements of the total space available? I've crawled around in a Crew Cab version, but haven't done so in a Double Cab. My knees never made it past the "will I fit" test in back. Firing forward may be good, along w/ the port. Or have the port load up against the rear door by "side-piping" it. Hmmm that's an idea...an 8" each firing outward ported. Just thinking of unique ideas, what about 8's firing toward a central waveguide? I'd probably need to model it in hornresp but that would solve any node/cancellation concern.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Yup yup, a 2019 - which thank the Lord they finally got rid of that silly underseat tray thing, but dadgum did they make it difficult with all the crazy angles at the back of the cab wall.

Ironically, I did think about quad 8" subwoofers, with a pair under each seat, similar to what you suggested. One firing towards the left door, the motor of it back to back with another that aims towards the center, and the same setup under the right side. So two firing towards the doors, and two aimed towards each other in the middle.

But... the total height is right at 8.75" before touching the cargo mat, which makes fitting a decent 8" subwoofer a bit difficult, and still being able to slip the mat out. Unless, a liftable enclosure is fabricated, something that can flip up like the seat bottoms do...

Here are some pictures of the spot:

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Factory subwoofer is behind the rear passenger seat on the cab wall, super compact 10" in a sealed enclosure:

5. Back To Top    #5
    Perpetually dissatisfied tRidiot's Avatar
    Real Name
    Danny

Yes, an upfiring sub into the cushion of the seat will absorb a lot of the soundwave. A downfiring sub is more of a 'slotloaded' configuration. I think they used to call it. And even firing into carpet is better than firing into the foam bottom of a seat.

In that position you don't have much of a choice, although you could do a ported box with a smaller sub and locate your port in an area that will fire out from under the seat. I don't know if 'slotloading' the port into the rear is helpful or not. But, you work with what you've got, right? Or cut that back wall and make a blow-through, baby!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Vehicle
    2017 Silverado CCSB

Glad you brought this up, it's something I've been thinking on as well since I'm in the same boat. One thing I was curious about is how the weather mats might affect the down-firing sub performance. I put a set of WeatherTechs in my truck, they are great for the reasons you stated.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle

Here's a DU-HA for the RAM in question https://www.du-ha.com/30100-243.html

That helps visualize (approximately) the total space available. Also, I've cut one of these up (used) and built an enclosure around the shaping, and that works pretty nicely. Based on the shape, I'm doubling down on recommending a waveguide-esque center-opening enclosure. I'm not sure you could fit 4 8's in a ported situation. Iso-baric maybe, lol. But 4 sealed or two ported (or with passive radiators if staying vertical) should be great.

I'd need to do modeling and I'm sure there's several on here that could beat me in doing that well, but the Dayton UM8-22 was on my mind. The ubiquitous Sundown options also.

If you run out of space height-wise, the Dayton 6.5" mini subs are very capable when used in a low tune, long port box and with multiple subs. I ran 4 in a 30hz ported design a while back, not a slouch. It did require a lot of power, and I had to use an aggressive filter to keep the excursion under control, but it was impressive how much those little guys could rip.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

See, this is interesting. I like where the ideas are going. Extracting the best sound possible from a less than ideal space.

Going to your isobaric comment, what about like a dipole/ripole or even something like a LAT setup?

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle

LAT? Now there's a great idea, but did any company decide to evolve it? I can't find one anywhere, and you'd probably want the LAT500-8. This idea also reminds me of the Coustic Bass Pump, which used a manifold. That's really what I'm seeing in my head, is some sort of basic manifold. It could be a simple as 2-4 subs facing one another in a wedge.

Also, add the Alpine Type R 8" to the list of good options.

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Far as I know, just Alpine and Tymphany/Peerless had some variations.

I believe Claydo tried those Tymphany/Peerless out, but said they didn't really compare to his pair of 8W7

DEFINITELY have looked at those Type-R 8" subwoofers. Have had the 12" variants in the past and always enjoyed them.