Thread: Building my 2019/20 Sierra

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vehicle
    2019 GMC AT4

Building my 2019/20 Sierra

So I started out with just wanting to add a sub to the new truck and as my wife predicted, I’m not happy with just adding a sub. So now I’m adding a second sub and going 3 way active up front lol.

I started with one 12TW3-D4 in the JL PowerWedge box and a JX500/1 amp. This created a bit of a problem with my sub amp possibilities when adding a second as I could either run them at 4ohm or 1ohm if I used a single amp. I decided I’d run two JX500/1’s for three reasons, 1) I already have one 2) I’ll be able to remove one sub (doing separate boxes) on either side or both to be able to use my under seat space if needed and 3) It should be easier to place 2 small amplifiers behind the seat instead of one bigger one.

For the front stage I’ve picked up an ARC 1200.6, JL C1 6x9’s for the doors, Morel CCWR254’s for the dash, and Audison AP1’s for the tweeters. It’s a mish mash of brands but I had a budget for the drivers and had to find deals.

Head unit will remain stock for obvious reasons. I’ll be using a JL FiX86 to try and level things out a bit.

Here’s where I’m running into a dilemma. Originally I was going to tune everything with the Dayton DSP-408 (which I have) but I recently discovered the Fiio DAP’s and now have some second guesses about how to run it all. I currently stream music using the tidal app and my iPhoneX through USB but I want to feed the system with the best audio quality possible. If I picked up a Fiio what would be the best way to use it if I stuck with the dsp-408 (considering it has no optical input, just the BT dongle) and also keeping the oem HU? I’m considering switching to a mini dsp 8x12 to gain the optical input and run a fiio m11 (or something of the sort) if it’s worth it to get the high res audio. If the audio quality difference is marginal at best then I’ll stick with the 408.
    Last edited by Dwhyte91; 10-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Vehicle
    2019 GMC AT4

Re: Building my 2019/20 Sierra

Sorry mods, can this be moved to the “build” section? I might as well.

3. Back To Top    #3

You use 3.5mm jack to rca into the dsp. I have a 16 silverado. I'm not using the headunit. I'm using my fiio player as the bounce unit straight into the dsp

4. Back To Top    #4

see if there's a NAV-TV or PAC unit for your system, then you can just go through the factory equipment with a clean optical signal to your stereo.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    see if there's a NAV-TV or PAC unit for your system, then you can just go through the factory equipment with a clean optical signal to your stereo.
    This. Do you have a base model oem system, or a premium brand, like Bose?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Eric

^^^ This x2 for the Nav-TV units

7. Back To Top    #7
    Vehicle
    2019 GMC AT4

Quote Originally Posted by ToNasty View Post
    You use 3.5mm jack to rca into the dsp. I have a 16 silverado. I'm not using the headunit. I'm using my fiio player as the bounce unit straight into the dsp
    There’s no input on the Dayton DSP other than the BT adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    No nav tv available yet for the 19+. Is the older nav tv adaptable?

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    This. Do you have a base model oem system, or a premium brand, like Bose?
    It’s the “premium Bose” system

My plan was to run a FiX-86 after the oem amp then to the dsp. Now I’ve read the fix-86 only fix’s the signal at the volume you’ve calibrated it for and people use the volume control on their dsp or FiX instead of the oem HU. I didn’t really want to go that route but I will if needed.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Vehicle
    2019 GMC AT4

My plan was to use the FiX86 to Dayton DSP but I’m now looking at the Helix DSP.3 instead and it has the Input Signal Analyzer, is there any need to use a FiX? Does the Helix DSP.2 have the same signal analyzer to flatten the input signal?

9. Back To Top    #9
    Vehicle
    2019 GMC AT4

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54F78738-6440-4CA5-BB7B-D6E67F391480.jpeg 
Views:	186 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	7361
    Figured I’d throw up a picture of the truck at least. This ones going back to the dealer because they f’d up my headliner and a new one is on order. It’s set back my install by quite a bit so for now I’ll just have to acquire/sell/return/acquire equipment until I’m happy with what’s going to be used.

Name:	3E84E89E-6478-4AAE-8CA3-416373F20D9E.jpeg 
Views:	206 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	7362
    This is the wiring harness that’s going to be used from the oem amp to the DSP and from the amps back to the speakers. I haven’t decided if I’m going to run all new wires (I’ll have to for the tweeters) or not.

Name:	FB420431-5EEE-4B4D-89CA-DEA74F904A7C.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	7363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159829B5-AF24-41DA-9FC0-C581EC133205.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	7364
    the mids and tweeters. Anything more than 2.5” doesn’t fit the dash and I’m trying to keep it as close to stock looking as possible. Bit of a mish mash of brands but nothing but the tweeters and subs (if you flip the rear seats up) will be visible.

The 6 channel amp should be here soon and the Dayton dsp is out in favour of a Helix DSP.3