Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The perfect amp

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: The perfect amp

My perfect amplifier doesn’t cost $1000 but does rated or more and sounds good. Every Pioneer amplifier I have had fits that bill from the cheap D8604 to the mid level PRS. I’m also finding Rockford Fosgate fits that bill and their constant power tech makes a big difference on the sub stage.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    Ryan
    Vehicle
    '15 Camry XLE V6

Doing rated doesn't mean much to me these days... IMO it has very little impact on sound quality. The ability to deliver split second dynamic transients at 2-3x rated while still maintaining inaudible distortion is more important to me... Usually an amp that can do so will exceed it's "rated" power anyway.

3. Back To Top    #13
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

The perfect amp for me would be a 7ch amp that did at least 75x2 and 150x4 at 4 ohms give or take a little and then at least 500 at 2 ohms on the sub. Would probably be every niche essque person's wet dream.

For amps in existence, I still like a/b for mids and tweets. My Helix G-Five does a GREAT job for both power and sonic quality. Only downside is it's HUGE. And a fan in an amp is a deal breaker. I don't care how quiet a fan is because at some point it will get noisy especially in the winter. Big deal when your amps are just a few inches behind you or under you in a truck. The Pioneer digital amps and RF Power ad and bd amps look interesting at very different price points. Might consider the Pioneer when the Zapco ST-4x SQ lets out the magic smoke as a midbass amp.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

If we are talking ideal, I'd like a little more power. Like an amp that can do 250x2 for midbass, 150x4 for midrange and tweeter, and 500x1 for sub.

5. Back To Top    #15

Now 'obsolete', only 4 CH @100WRMS, but I sure came to love my JBL MS-A1004's for the flexible input, routing, XO/slope, and output level control separate from input gain that they provide. Like the companion MS-A5001, too.

Mine have been bullet-proof reliable, including the shelf-filter multi-amp Wireless Bass Control (yeah, I've read others haven't been so lucky).

Probably catch some flames for that opinion. Oh well, won't be the first time.
    CURRENT RIDE - 2019 HONDA RIDGELINE RTL-E (no audio mods yet)
    PREVIOUS - 2014 Ford Escape ~ SYNC2 ~ 8" Touchscreen ~ DIY reprogrammed: EQ & TA defeat, HD radio enable, NAV enable, Sirius delete
    DSP & Amps by JBL MS series ~ Midrange & Tweeters by HAT Legatia ~ Midbass & Subs by SI TM65/BMmkV
    Lossless format music library on Samsung T3 250GB USB SSD

6. Back To Top    #16
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2005 GMC Sierra ExtCab SLT Z71

As far as something obtainable goes this PG seems pretty nice on paper.

7. Back To Top    #17

I agree with you on the Mmats 6150. I just got one for my car because I'm finally going three-way there and the tweeter amp turns on faster than the five channel in my truck so I wanted to get a six channel. I used the Mmats briefly in five channel mode until I got the M1000.2D and it ran the sub pretty darn well considering my sub is 2 ohms. Unless my ears deceve me, the M1000 sure seems to make the sub a lot cleaner sounding and I haven't touched the tune since I changed out the amps. I'm definitely impressed.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Real Name
    Ross
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Tundra

I'm thinking the upcoming D'Amore Engineering T1200.8 would fit the bill for me. I did get a demo of 6 of the T300.2's in the Jetta at K-Fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQurghWlq0E

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by metanium View Post
    I'm thinking the upcoming D'Amore Engineering T1200.8 would fit the bill for me. I did get a demo of 6 of the T300.2's in the Jetta at K-Fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQurghWlq0E

Hmm, I wonder how loud the fan is on the 8ch and how much it costs? 150x6 at 4 and 300x1 at 4 should be plenty for the vast majority of SQ systems providing the sub isn't an inefficient power hog.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

I’m intrigued by the MMATS amps too.

But I must confess that (in all my inferior wisdom) I have worries regarding their robustness and longevity. I’ve heard of at least three amps from their HiFi series that weren’t working properly (aka “blown”).

Of course I have no hard evidence of MMATS having higher failures than any other company- but I’ve heard enough to plant a seed of question in my mind.