Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The perfect amp

1. Back To Top    #41
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Re: The perfect amp

For tuning look up youtube user "Kyle Ragsdale". He breaks the tuning process down to where even I was able to follow it and get repeatable results. Kyle uses a Helix but the general idea works for all dsp's. The Arc dsp appears to function similar to the Helix where it matters with just a different look to the software.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

2. Back To Top    #42

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Well, the good part about getting the system professionally tuned is that you'll have a very good tune to start off with. That will give you plenty of time to research and learn how to adjust things yourself, if needed/desired. As long as you save a copy of the original tune before messing with it, you can always get back to where you started. Like you mentioned, tuning is both rewarding and fun. Yes, it does take a lot of time to get 'up to speed', but at the same time, a lot of the basics are relatively easy to understand and adjust.

I don't have any experience with the amp you are looking at, so I can't comment on that (I have a JL Audio XD600/6v2 and a Helix DSP.3 DSP). I kind of like the amp and DSP being "separate", just because that way I can replace either one without impacting the other - but I can understand the desire for an "all in one" unit as well...

Good luck - let us know what you end up going with and how it works out! There are also plenty of folks around to help you with the tuning part as you have questions.
    Thanks again and I will.......The way I understand it, the ARC amp and DSP are separate units. To Quote ARC: "By removing eight screws on the bottom of any of the amplifiers, the 8-channel IPS 8.8 DSP (Sold separately) module replaces the analog input board that comes with the amp."

I've gotten a few messages on the DIYMA site recommending the MMATS 6150 and then get a Dayton DSP for $150(but the extra installation costs make total costs a near wash). Honestly, I don't know if my 59 y.o. ears could tell the difference between the 2 amps unless it was a big sonic difference. I think the speakers are more where I'd notice the difference.

I read your post on another thread that recommended to spend the larger $ on the speakers and DSP and less on the amp. I need to watch my budget so I think that option might be the biggest bang for my buck(hopefully a package deal with ARC RS speakers). Installation costs are going to be high.....But I want to buy a system that I don't have to ever change.

I'll likely visit the local ARC dealer Friday to get ideas. I haven't even addressed the sub yet! Mo' money.
    Last edited by SLicK55; 02-05-2020 at 05:54 PM.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Well, at least you have the buy once cry once mentality. This will save you a lot of heartache and head scratching later down the road HOPEFULLY.
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Scott
    Vehicle
    2005 Toyota 4Runner; 2019 Porsche Cayman GTS

Didn't see it mentioned, but I really like the Audison Prima AP F8.9 bit (the "Forza" version specifically). 8 channel amp, with integrated 9 channel DSP (9th channel designed to drive a subwoofer amp via RCA pre-out).

85W x 8 at 4 ohms
    130W x 8 at 2 ohms
    260W x 4 (bridged) at 4 ohms

And compact, too. Dimensions are 9.37 x 1.95 x 6.1

I'm using this amp in my Cayman for an active 3-way setup. Four of the channels are bridged for mid-bass, and the other four power mid-range and tweeters.

Now if they would only come out with a Forza version of their mono amp (AP1D currently does 540W at 2 ohms). If they get the same relative power increase as they did from the non-forza AP8.9, then theoretically, they should be able to get 1000-1200W at 2 ohms.