Thread: Vacuum forming machine

1. Back To Top    #1
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle
    2005 GMC Sierra ExtCab SLT Z71

Vacuum forming machine

I recently built a small vacuum former for 12x12ish panels, so far it is just the vacuum box and frame as well as a foil lined box for heating. My first attempt with abs was alright but I had trouble with heating it enough so I built the foil lined box.

I decided to try acrylic the second go around with the new heating setup and it was a spectacular failure. I wasn't able to get it anywhere near hot enough and my heat is very uneven (using a couple of heat guns). I was trying to form over an 8" speaker and it turned out looking like an abstract ash tray. I'm loathe to put any of the material in the oven to heat it since it stinks.

Now I'm ordering this thing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71nCEc2on4L._AC_SL1200_.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	7255

The plan is to build a box that holds the somewhat disassembled heater that is mounted above the vacuum box. I'll use four steel rods to connect the two and then drill holes in the frame that clamps the material so that I can use some bushings and have the frame ride up and down between the heater and the vacuum box.

I'm off to a crappy start but once I get my heat issue solved and build the mechanism that allows the frame to land where it is supposed to on the vacuum box I have high hopes for less failing and more not failing. I'll take some pictures once It becomes more than just a box.

Does anyone else use a homemade vacuum former?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

Re: Vacuum forming machine

I've seen several vids where they put the heater below and have reflective walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kW6ZP6zqY8

3. Back To Top    #3
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle

I considered doing that but then decided it makes more sense to make it needlessly complicated.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle

Here are my my first attempts. It's going so well I may quit my job and go into the vacuum forming business.

This was just a few sockets since I couldn't think of anything else

Name:	20191021_005824_HDR.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	7257

I don't have much to say about this

Name:	20191021_005849_HDR.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	7258

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

Not bad! I researched Kydex forming when considering dash pods, and it was interesting the methods they used for a uniform heating. I do believe as you stated, most built a tray to hold the sheets all along the edges, and slid that into the oven, then would have a vacuum table using peg board that the mold set on top of.
    Are you not entertained?!?!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Bob
    Vehicle

I used the abs and acrylic to figure out what mistakes I would make. I have some Kydex waiting for actually trying to mold something useful.

With the time going into this it would have been much easier to use fiberglass and Bondo to modify the panel I have in mind, but I've always been curious about giving this a shot. Now that I've posted about it I'll feel more obligated to follow through with finishing the contraption as well.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Vehicle
    We don't talk about it

No doubt! I really think this method would make for much better looking and easier A-pillar or dash pod installations.

That's not an insult to anyone who has built up their own A-pillars - but being able to vacuum form a pod in minutes that easily molds to a pillar or dash compared to the hours or days of doing a quality fiberglass job... it's a win win for everyone.
    Are you not entertained?!?!