Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: my 2012 mk6 gti build

1. Back To Top    #61

Re: my 2012 mk6 gti build

I spent about an hour tuning and an hour listening. It’s been a really busy week so I haven’t played around since Sunday.

Sense of space is a bit larger. Tuning-wise I had to turn their levels down like 3db and cut a few eq bands across the passband. Attack/decay and dynamics are better. Details are better.

I attribute this to a higher sensitivity and a regular dome vs ring radiator.

Size wise, they’re a bit deeper than the r3004/6020-00, reminds me of the unicorn-status d2904/600000.

Not that the r3004 is a slouch in any way, the differences are subtle.

2. Back To Top    #62
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    giving these a try - arc rs 1.0. painted flanges to match to the 12m a bit better. two coats of high-fill primer and rustoleum fine metal finish in black.

matches pretty good:

not as fragile as scanspeak tweeter tabs:

finish matches pretty well:
    Damn!

Did you do more work on the color match since the last picture I saw?

I’d say this is a pretty dead on match.. Looking good!

3. Back To Top    #63

Nah, lighting’s different or the paint finished drying 100%. If I could pop the grill metal off to paint, I would.

4. Back To Top    #64

did something else over the past few weeks.

OEM hoodliner started sagging, it's about 9-10 years old now:

put down (up?) some CLD. didn't bother with 100% coverage:

put downsome dynamat hoodliner on the sheetmetal sections, taped off the edges with foil tape. stuffed some rockwool in the frame.

and put down a fresh factory hoodliner. it apparently has a revised shield:

i didn't bother doing anything back by the cowl, the windshield spray nozzles are back there and didn't want to inhibit maintenance.

consumed a sheet of dynamat extreme and about 1/3 of a hoodliner pack. i verified it'd all still be held up by the factory shock before i got started.

results? standing in front of the car, engine sound definitely comes from the bottom of the car instead of the whole front of the car. inside the car? higher frequencies from the engine are subdued, like my throwout bearing chatter.

5. Back To Top    #65

One more thing? lol.

Why? Boredom? Retail therapy? Wanted optical-out. Didn't like how the elev8 looks. Definitely won't buy another Clarion. Bigger volume-knob is a plus. USB media stuff works fine. CarPlay.

Looking on Instagram at heigh10 installs, there’s quite a few which don't look well integrated. Wrong dash shapes, stick out too far, screen too high, not even matching dash lighting. There's some which look awesome like late-model GM trucks and Jeep drop-ins. Haven't seen any custom tub pictures yet though.

Matches the interior pretty well. Matte frame matches the dash plastics, gloss accents match hvac accents, brushed volume knob matches the other controls. Changed button LED color red to match. Wish it had full idatalink maestro integration.

If Stinger made an 8-9" that looks like the Heigh10, I'd probably change it.

6. Back To Top    #66
    Vehicle
    2018 Nissan Frontier

That is a really great shot of your system. Fantastic job. Supremely professional installation all the way around.

7. Back To Top    #67

thanks, JT does awesome work

8. Back To Top    #68
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Question about your deadening choice. You used both lead sheet and MLV on the floors entirely? Or did you use the 1/16 only on the front half of the floor where you already had MLV?
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

9. Back To Top    #69

sheet lead is only on the front floorboards to help minimize tactile feedback from the midbasses. Layering lasagna goes cld down, mlv, ccf, sheet lead, ccf, factory carpet/padding.

10. Back To Top    #70
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

10 - fucking - 4....thank you for breaking it down just like that. I appreciate you yet again

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    sheet lead is only on the front floorboards to help minimize tactile feedback from the midbasses. Layering lasagna goes cld down, mlv, ccf, sheet lead, ccf, factory carpet/padding.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall