Re: my 2012 mk6 gti build

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    over at $dayjob

Jay

2. Back To Top    #22
    Real Name
    Eric

Really great build! Thanks for your thoughts about why you did certain things, very helpful! I can't imagine 700w to the AD's, that must be crazy?

Oh, and where abouts in SF are you, my grandma used to live in Burlingame... love the Bay Area!

3. Back To Top    #23

thanks. 700w on the ADs help w/ some details and dynamics, easily hearable with timpani drums.

i live down in sanjose area.

4. Back To Top    #24

did a thing. put a little double-sided tape to help hold it in place. also did a little silicone caulk to ensure the wire opening's closed up.

had to pull the rear valance, ran the wire over to a gasket for license plate lights. bottom of the camera's view is my bumper edge so yay.

also had to pull the hatch apart to run wire and ground(s). here's under the beauty panels, i couldn't imagine also trying to squeeze line drivers in there:

Last edited by nadams5755; 07-18-2021 at 02:02 PM. Reason: fix pics

5. Back To Top    #25

i picked up a sony xav-ax210 and didn't notice any sound quality changes going back and forth between the radio and d10. it's been a couple months, i could try again.
    so i spent 45 minutes with it outside. different devices, same app, same flac 16b/44k content. i did the best i could to match levels by ear.

really i suppose comparing the sony's DAC+sony's opamps+helix ADC+helix DAC vs the helix's DAC.

i used meca's kirnis/spring and taylor/baker street. also used lindsey stirling's we found love on apple music. here's my observations:

d10:
    • chimes and triangle in baker street are more articulate
    • shaker on we found love more articulate

sony:
    • better dynamics on cellos in spring
    • better vocals in baker street and we found love

no staging differences, no low frequency differences.

i'm sure if i had measuring equipment, i'd see the differences and these observations would make sense

Last edited by nadams5755; 07-18-2021 at 12:50 PM.

6. Back To Top    #26

so i spent 45 minutes with it outside. different devices, same app, same flac 16b/44k content. i did the best i could to match levels by ear.

really i suppose comparing the sony's DAC+sony's opamps+helix ADC+helix DAC vs the helix's DAC.

i used meca's kirnis/spring and taylor/baker street. also used lindsey stirling's we found love on apple music. here's my observations:

d10:
    • chimes and triangle in baker street are more articulate
    • shaker on we found love more articulate

sony:
    • better dynamics on cellos in spring
    • better vocals in baker street and we found love

no staging differences, no low frequency differences.
    Based on what you've posted it seems like it's kind of a coin toss overall between the two. If so, it would come down to ergonomics for me. While all these fancy DACs, DAPs, and hugs are neat they are just too cumbersome for me. Especially when driving. Demoing someone's car is one thing but driving down the road trying to find a song on a 3 inch screen is something else altogether. If the two methods are a wash then I say go with the Sony. So, there's my unsolicited $0.02.
    -- SQ is great, but sometimes nostalgia is greater. --

Follow my blog:
    https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

7. Back To Top    #27

daily, the director+d10 is rough. i've been using the sony 100% since i installed it. this is the first day i thought to compare them.

8. Back To Top    #28

i made a change, swapped out the helix pro mk2+director for an arc audio ps8pro+psc. why?
    * ps8pro sounds better
    * ps8pro lower floor noise
    * hate the director

i wanted to put it where the helix was. i had an idea: cut up an arc x2 shell to look like the amps and shaped like the helix dsp.

ps8pro had to fit vertically:

got some bits:

open up the X2 hole to support the ps8pro's LED plate:

cut up the x2 plate to match the helix pro mk2 shape, got it placed and centered. that sucked but ignore the fingerprints:

i turned my attention to the director to psc replacement.

worked with kwilliams312 to CNC'd an aluminum adapter from 1/4" sheet:

had to cut it twice

a little sanding:

and it's in place:

"what about 10 channels with rearfill?" probably minidsp 2x4. for now rearfill's just off (like always)
    Last edited by nadams5755; 07-18-2021 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fix pics

9. Back To Top    #29
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

That all turned out awesome. Nice work.

Jay

10. Back To Top    #30

How do you compare the R3004 to the standard silk dome D3004/6020 ? I've never been clear on the advantages of ring radiator tweeters.

I love the lead sheet idea. Pods look excellent. The whole install looks excellent.

Any thoughts on why you don't like the rear fill ?

You drove 5600 miles round trip for audio competition ? Holy crap. I would have been tired of the whole hobby by the time I got there.