Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: my 2012 mk6 gti build

1. Back To Top    #11

Re: my 2012 mk6 gti build

Gain structure is important as well, helps keep linearity in check.

2. Back To Top    #12

i finally washed off 2300mi of bugs.

i also replaced the single-color LED strip with a multicolor addressable LED strip. for the same size, that meant a 5v LED strip. 12v strips are much wider.

that meant 12v->5v buck converters. 1m is about 30w so finding big enough buck converters sucks.

almost 2m of strips caused a voltage drop by the end, so i had to wire both ends to the power source.

white balance in the video is pretty off, it's white and red:

3. Back To Top    #13

my factory radio takes forever to boot, so VW turns on the radio as soon as the car's unlocked and shuts it off 15 minutes after the last door is closed/locked. it's also nearly impossible to shut it down. turn-on pop is pretty bad as well.

as much as i like the helix dsp, i hate the director knob for day to day. first picture? director knob's in the glovebox. ��that thing. less i have to interact with the director, the better.

i replaced the radio but wanted to keep a volume knob and add carplay. sony xav-ax210 with the maestro-rr bits and bobs. adjustable button LEDs match the dash too.

however, the radio is iso mount only and the scosche kit seats the radio pretty far back.

i shaved down like 1/4" of the plastic lip and brought the radio forward. shadow makes it look off-center:

so it's connected analog inputs. i've still got the usb-hec and topping d10 in the glovebox.

screen's about the same size, just don't have the massive buttons around it.
    Last edited by nadams5755; 07-18-2021 at 12:47 PM.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

I saw this on Nick's video interview with you from Finals. Awesome build!

Interesting that you're using the Topping D10 as opposed to the USB HEC on the Helix.. I assume you're using the Topping SPDIF coaxial output to the Helix instead. Do you find the Topping from the phone and camera adapter is better than phone direct to the HEC?
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

5. Back To Top    #15
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I saw this on Nick's video interview with you from Finals. Awesome build!

Interesting that you're using the Topping D10 as opposed to the USB HEC on the Helix.. I assume you're using the Topping SPDIF coaxial output to the Helix instead. Do you find the Topping from the phone and camera adapter is better than phone direct to the HEC?
    Damn, Nick did a video?

Can someone post a link to it?

6. Back To Top    #16

sound is the same via usb-hec or d10.

it was a practical reason: ios 12.1-12.4/helix bug with not charging through the ck3. now that ios 13 is out, the bug is mostly gone.

d10 takes like 10 sec to boot though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris12 View Post
    Damn, Nick did a video?

Can someone post a link to it?

https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/show...8237#post48237

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    Civic Si Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post

it was a practical reason: ios 12.1-12.4/helix bug with not charging through the ck3. now that ios 13 is out, the bug is mostly gone.
    Yeah I notice on my iPhone XS with that same adapter, I still get the "accessory not supported" error or whatever it was, iOS 13.. I dunno. Thought I read somewhere it was a charging issue or something to do with some phones. Gotta love Apple. I'm looking forward to getting the car tuned so I can do some decent comparisons between the iPhone/CCK/USB HEC verses the Fiio X5 Gen2 SPDIF coaxial.
    2008 Civic Si Sedan
    Build Log
    You measure with REW? Consider donating. I did

8. Back To Top    #18
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Yeah I notice on my iPhone XS with that same adapter, I still get the "accessory not supported" error or whatever it was, iOS 13.. I dunno. Thought I read somewhere it was a charging issue or something to do with some phones. Gotta love Apple. I'm looking forward to getting the car tuned so I can do some decent comparisons between the iPhone/CCK/USB HEC verses the Fiio X5 Gen2 SPDIF coaxial.
    Hey Nick...where do you work again? lol

Jay

9. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    Hey Nick...where do you work again? lol
    over at $dayjob

10. Back To Top    #20

I just watched your video with Nick A.... Great stuff man and "widest stage ever!"
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020