Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: my 2012 mk6 gti build

1. Back To Top    #41
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

Re: my 2012 mk6 gti build

I've had two customer cars with the regular PS8 that have issues, but one of them has (twice now) stopped turning on the amplifiers. It is putting out 2.3V on the turn on output. The amplifier turn on wiring is run on a relay, so it isn't overcurrent. It's really kinda turned me away from wanting to use Arc. Let us know how the PS8Pro holds up. Admittedly, the car in question seems to put out up to 16V from the alternator, so I'm not sure what to do short of using some kind of buck convertor or something to regulate it.

Jay

2. Back To Top    #42

i guess overvoltage is 14.9v. if they come back with the issue, give Arc a call and see if they have suggestions.

3. Back To Top    #43
    Vehicle
    2015 Mazda 6i Touring

The website says 16.8. It's not getting that high, but we contacted Arc the first time it happened and they suggested we swap units. Rumor has it that we (meaning I) get to waste time swapping it for a BitOneHD and retune it. Yay. I'll hit up Brian about it when I get the current Pain in My Ass out of the shop.

4. Back To Top    #44
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Man this build is f*cking disgusting sir........I love it. I've been trying to come to terms with what amps I want to use as well as whether or not rear fill is an option (I don't plan to ever compete so it's just for my own madness and I know I'm not searching for scores) and knowing that I can at least go hard on power for the speakers I'm using puts me at ease. I'd love to hear this bad boy...especially a Roots album on it. Great job man.
    A man cannot become a hero until he can see the root of his downfall

5. Back To Top    #45

Enjoyed reading through this build. Great work!! I see you practiced my school of thought: Measure once, cut twice, lol.

6. Back To Top    #46

Quote Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
    I see you practiced my school of thought: Measure once, cut twice, lol.
    like most things, forgot to account for bit width

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

Nate, I've been visiting this log obsessively since I joined the site and I appreciate you breaking down the thought process behind your decisions. I have a follow up question about your power decisions....are you just running the power to the speakers without gain adjustment ( I apologize I'm not sure how to word it exactly) or anything like that. Basically I'm asking if you're legit running a full 700 watts ( I presume 350 a piece?) to your midbasses and they have been taking it without issue? I'm asking because I am wondering should I rethink my amplification and approach it in a similar way. Does tuning and ensuring that the speakers are within their safe playing ranges ensure that there will be less of an issue of cooking the speakers with that much power?

Also, how much are you running to your tweeters?

Quote Originally Posted by nadams5755 View Post
    here's some why with this build, since some is a bit unconventional:
    why mlv in the doors? minimize subwoofer resonances in the doors.
    why sheet lead on the floors, as well as MLV, CCF, CLD, and factory deadening? get rid of remaining kickpanel midbass tactile feedback.
    why upgrade from 3/4" r2004 to to 1" r3004 tweeters? 5-6db more sensitive across much of the passband, for effortlessness/realism i detected while helping a few people tune their r3004s out here.
    why upgrade from 10" subs to 12" subs? effortlessness on the bottom half octave (20-30hz). for a given output, less cone movement means less tactile feedback
    why 1100w to the subs? extra power to power through slightly smaller enclosures. they're in slightly undersized (1cu ft vs 1.2cu ft) sealed enclosures.
    why 700w to the midbasses? same reason as the subs, but really helps with dynamics and impact.
    why 325w to midranges? helps with detail and dynamics.
    why rear fill aimed that way? conventional wisdom is forward for depth, side-to-side for width. i don't need any more width so i aimed for opposite headrests (of sorts) to help with depth/layering. rear-fill's been off all year long though.
    why replace illusion c8s with ad w800neos? get 100% of the magnet structure behind the cone, avoid chuffing noises (air moving in the coil gap) as the cone moves
    why sail monitors? all the width.

8. Back To Top    #48
    Vehicle
    2015 Toyota Camry XSE V6

Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post
    Nate, I've been visiting this log obsessively since I joined the site and I appreciate you breaking down the thought process behind your decisions. I have a follow up question about your power decisions....are you just running the power to the speakers without gain adjustment ( I apologize I'm not sure how to word it exactly) or anything like that. Basically I'm asking if you're legit running a full 700 watts ( I presume 350 a piece?) to your midbasses and they have been taking it without issue? I'm asking because I am wondering should I rethink my amplification and approach it in a similar way. Does tuning and ensuring that the speakers are within their safe playing ranges ensure that there will be less of an issue of cooking the speakers with that much power?
    Quote Originally Posted by BenevolentDictator View Post

Also, how much are you running to your tweeters?
    Nate dawg in the house!

But seriously, Excellent questions as I’ve wondered the same myself.

I’m assuming tuning and modeling make all this big power work, especially when you’re giving 1100watts to each of those subs.

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Alan
    Vehicle
    2018 Chevy Silverado Z-71

It's a common misconception that an amp is putting out full power all the time. The only time this amp would put out 700w is if he was listening to test tones full-blast. Under normal listening conditions, it's only putting out a fraction of that power.
    The amp gain is basically a volume control used to level the output between the source and the amp. In this case, the DSP is acting as the gain.

...at least that's how I see it

10. Back To Top    #50
    Real Name
    Supreme Lord Ruler
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Avalon

ahhhh that's right, that's right. That's where I need to adjust my thinking.
    Thanks Al.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl205 View Post
    It's a common misconception that an amp is putting out full power all the time. The only time this amp would put out 700w is if he was listening to test tones full-blast. Under normal listening conditions, it's only putting out a fraction of that power.
    The amp gain is basically a volume control used to level the output between the source and the amp. In this case, the DSP is acting as the gain.

...at least that's how I see it