Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

1. Back To Top    #71

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    The wire size may be important , too ? Carrying more current in amperes -vs- more volts ( higher pressure works with smaller wires ).
    I’m one of the folks that believes that REAL WORLD DAMPING FACTOR can make an audible difference, in large part depending on how low the real world figure is in the first place. The damping factor quoted on your amplifier spec sheet is NOT your actual damping factor, even if the amp’s DF is quoted at that impedance (they often quote DF at 4ohms in car audio amps, IME.).

Getting the real world damping factor involves calculating your amplifier’s output impedance and adding the resistance in the length and size (and type) of speaker wire you’re using, and then you can recalculate your REAL WORLD DAMPING FACTOR.

Ultra low real world damping factors can negatively impact sound—especially below 20 or so. Ive noticed particularly mushy sound from amps that start off with a rated DF of about 50-70. Regardless, the higher the DF, the better. This is why I ran 9 pairs of wire into my BMW doors and ran 8awg wire to each sub in the Rover. All other things being equal, your real world DF is going to be significantly higher when you wire a DVC sub in series vs parallel.

Here’s a PDF from EAW (a speaker manufacturer) on Damping Factor: https://eaw-g9n1f8q3p5.netdna-ssl.co...ing_factor.pdf

Check out the DF calculator at the bottom of this page: http://www.bcae1.com/dampfact.htm

Hey guys—using the calculator, what are some of your real world DF numbers? Anybody get anything below 30? 40? I try to keep mine 100+ at a minimum.

2. Back To Top    #72
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

Andy Wehmayer - an amp with a damping factor of between 10 and 10,000 isn't going to be a factor you will discern/notice/hear !

https://www.audiofrog.com/community/...of-a-factor-2/
    Focus on features and power when buying an amp .
    . Oh, yeah , skip superior cone control in your factoring ( it is a myth )!

https://www.eminence.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
    For you izay 123 speakers with 8/16/32 ohms !
    Last edited by Queef; 12-03-2019 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Superior cone control in high ohm speakers

3. Back To Top    #73

Quote Originally Posted by Izay123 View Post
    I’m one of the folks that believes that REAL WORLD DAMPING FACTOR can make an audible difference...
    it would probably be measurable, if it is also able to be heard.

4. Back To Top    #74
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Holmz , even though we may not 'HEAR' , we seem to be able to "measure" with an assortment of tools/devices !

The tree in the forest ?(it makes a sound)!!!

We cannot see 'Dark Matter' or 'Dark Energy'(it's effects prove that it IS)! Intangible/unseeable
    Last edited by Queef; 12-04-2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: A test for all Time

5. Back To Top    #75

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    Holmz , even though we may not 'HEAR' , we seem to be able to "measure" with an assortment of tools/devices !

The tree in the forest ?(it makes a sound)!!!

We cannot see 'Dark Matter' or 'Dark Energy'(it's effects prove that it IS)! Intangible/unseeable
    Personally... I would not group subwoofers in with cosmology, particle physics, or string theory.

And the talk about squirt guns versus tsunamis is also a bit of a stretch as an analogy.

if Izay hears a difference, then it is likely measurable...
    if he is the only one that hears it, then it is something else.

A hundred people swearing that damping factor makes no difference is not as good as a single measurement showing it either makes a difference or does not.

6. Back To Top    #76
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Right on all accounts !
    And Thank You !

7. Back To Top    #77
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post

A hundred people swearing that damping factor makes no difference is not as good as a single measurement showing it either makes a difference or does not.
    Andy Wehmayer says if you are buying an amp for it's "superior cone control" (damping factor).

"Unicorns & hens teeth are good investments too !"

The 'ripple' , flutter , wow and dithering are bearable for some.

8. Back To Top    #78

Quote Originally Posted by Weigel21 View Post
    Alright, over on "another forum" there's a thread that's turning into a shit show, however, it does get me wondering.

Many manufacturers post T/S parameters of DVC drivers with the voice coils in series, but I don't, or at least didn't often see T/S parameters listed with voice coils wired in parallel. Why is that BTW?

So, with this thread on "the other forum" the OP talked about how the subwoofer performed so much better wired for a higher impedance. Can't say I have experienced such myself, but I've never had the opportunity arise where I could easily change the sub's impedance and still give it the same amount of power to make any sort of a "fair" comparison.

So, without turning this into a shit show, can we discuss what sort of differences there will be a when doing such, assuming you can feed the driver the same amount of power wired either way, using the same amp so it's not a variable in why the driver may perform "better" one way or the other.

Everything I've read in the past when DVC Subs came out indicated there was no difference in the way the sub performed, it was merely a way to get more flexible wiring options.

Still, if the parameters do change some depending on voice coil wiring configuration, could/would the driver behave differently enough to make an audible difference?

Edit.
    Actually, "performace difference" is probably not the right way to put it.
    As some of the others have pointed out, when running the same power into the sub in either configuration, there is no appreciable difference. And, I was a part of that shit show on that other forum.

9. Back To Top    #79
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

ckirocz28,

He may do a test in the future whereby equivalent power at either impedance will reveal what happens.

10. Back To Top    #80
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Quote Originally Posted by Holmz View Post
    I might be interested...
    Which amp is it that does 1000W into 8 ohms?
    Holmz take a look in classifieds
    http://linearpower.com/8002SW.html

The peak power on this is two-thousand four hundred watts ( might be able to convert a Crown amp for use in a 12 volt system ).
    Last edited by Queef; 12-06-2019 at 05:58 PM.