Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

1. Back To Top    #11
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by Queef View Post
    For "sound pressure level" competitors will wire their sub in parallel to get highest dBs. I purchased a 1 ohm dvc DD model G with a carbon fiber cone and wired it @ 1/2 ohm in a sealed box . . . W0W , frickin amazing " HIT " !
    But I don't understand why it'd make the slightest bit of difference.

I mean if the sub is rated at say 1000RMS (don't know what it's rating was years ago) and you can achieve such power regardless of weather it's wired to present a .5 or 2 ohm final impedance, why would it "hit harder" wired at .5 ohm vs 2 ohm?

Again, I'm not talking about how a lower impedance load will allow for an amplifier to produce more power and in turn, greater output from the setup. My question was that if all else were equal, what difference would it make? 1000RMS@.5 vs 1000RMS@2 ohm to that sub. You saying it'd still hit harder wired for .5 vs 2 ohm?

2. Back To Top    #12
    Real Name
    John
    Vehicle
    See signature

Re: Is there performance difference between wiring a driver in series vs parallel?

Quote Originally Posted by Weigel21 View Post

I mean if the sub is rated at say 1000RMS (don't know what it's rating was years ago) and you can achieve such power regardless of weather it's wired to present a .5 or 2 ohm final impedance, why would it "hit harder" wired at .5 ohm vs 2 ohm?

Again, I'm not talking about how a lower impedance load will allow for an amplifier to produce more power and in turn, greater output from the setup. My question was that if all else were equal, what difference would it make? 1000RMS@.5 vs 1000RMS@2 ohm to that sub. You saying it'd still hit harder wired for .5 vs 2 ohm?
    I’m speculating this based on many amplifier dyno’ s I’ve watched. When an amplifier is wired for a lower impedance it often puts out more dynamic power at say 1 ohm vs 2 ohms even if the RMS is similar because the lower impedance allows that to happen due to less resistance to current flow. This is of course very dependent on the actual amplifier used so let’s take the Rockford Fosgate t1500 bd period I have for example. At two ohms it puts down 1741 watts rms and 2114 dynamic power. At 1 ohm it puts down 1807 watts rms and 3296 watts dynamic power. With the lower impedance the dynamic power is 36% more which translate to 2 db more output for a fraction of a second. If 1 db is the lowest perceptible change a human can hear than you might notice a slight difference.

with a lesser non regulated power supply of say most amplifiers the difference might be less so you may not notice it at max volume but lower volumes maybe.
    Mazda CX5 AF GB10, AF GB25, AF GB60, JL VX800/8i, AF GB12 sealed, Mmats M1400.1

Ford F150
    AF GB10, AF GB25, JLC5, JL twk88/Pioneer D8604, Mosconi Pico, JBL Club 5501, Sundown SD3-10 ported @ 30 Hz

Sienna
    AF GB15, Audiofrog GS690, JL twk88/Pioneer D9500F, JBL GTX500, Alpine SWS10 ported @ 31 Hz

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threa.../#post-5608901

3. Back To Top    #13
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Water analogy

Volts equals pressure

Amperes equals gpm (gallons per minute) or flow rate . Throw a glass of water on the ground. Dump a 30 gal garbage can on the ground.

Resistance equals ? Try punching through a piece of rice paper , now try punching through a oak tree.

4. Back To Top    #14
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

You saying it'd still hit harder wired for .5 vs 2 ohm?
    Do they use fire hoses or garden hoses on rioters ?

5. Back To Top    #15
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JCsAudio View Post
    I’m speculating this based on many amplifier dyno’ s I’ve watched. When an amplifier is wired for a lower impedance it often puts out more dynamic power at say 1 ohm vs 2 ohms even if the RMS is similar because the lower impedance allows that to happen due to less resistance to current flow. This is of course very dependent on the actual amplifier used so let’s take the Rockford Fosgate t1500 bd period I have for example. At two ohms it puts down 1741 watts rms and 2114 dynamic power. At 1 ohm it puts down 1807 watts rms and 3296 watts dynamic power. With the lower impedance the dynamic power is 36% more which translate to 2 db more output for a fraction of a second. If 1 db is the lowest perceptible change a human can hear than you might notice a slight difference.

with a lesser non regulated power supply of say most amplifiers the difference might be less so you may not notice it at max volume but lower volumes maybe.
    Yeah, I've seen a few tests where dynamic power was noticeably more. Sometimes the dynamic output was better at higher loads, sometimes it was better at lower loads, and sometimes, the dynamic output really wasn't much more than the certified and uncertfied output.

So in certain situations, I guess I could see how a lower impedance may hit harder.

Still, my initial query was about the driver itself, this example you have pitched has brought the amplifier into the equation much more than I had initially wanted, but I guess it can't be helped.

So I guess from all this one could conclude that a driver wired for a lower impedance will have a more dynamic range than one wired for a higher impedance? I mean you seem to indicate that the dynamic range would be more at a lower impedance.
    Water analogy

Volts equals pressure

Amperes equals gpm (gallons per minute) or flow rate . Throw a glass of water on the ground. Dump a 30 gal garbage can on the ground.

Resistance equals ? Try punching through a piece of rice paper , now try punching through a oak tree.
    Not so sure I follow the analogy all that well. So you saying that the lower impedance will hit harder due to less resistance given the same power as a higher impedance.

6. Back To Top    #16
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

If the police use garden hoses instead of water cannons the protesters would not be knocked down.

A fire hose will fill a swimming pool in ten minutes , a garden hose will fill it in 24 hours.

You want to get punched by Mike Tyson or a 6 yr old girl ?

The reason my amp can accept 1/0 power wire and I use a high output alternator and an Optima battery is get a lot there very quickly.
    Dense - define

7. Back To Top    #17
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota 4Runner, 2019 Toyota Camry

Based solely on the original premise of the question regarding a DVC driver and amplifier out of the equation.

No.
    Meh, it'll play.

8. Back To Top    #18
    Banned
    Real Name
    Hic

Not so sure I follow the analogy all that well. So you saying that the lower impedance will hit harder due to less resistance given the same power as a higher impedance.
    You can use 8 awg , 4 awg , . . . Or welding wire to feed an amp.
    It's your choice !

I'd prefer a bb gun , versus a 44 magnum if someone was shooting me.

9. Back To Top    #19
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

If the police use garden hoses instead of water cannons the protesters would not be knocked down.

A fire hose will fill a swimming pool in ten minutes , a garden hose will fill it in 24 hours.

You want to get punched by Mike Tyson or a 6 yr old girl ?

The reason my amp can accept 1/0 power wire and I use a high output alternator and an Optima battery is get a lot there very quickly.
    Dense - define
    I still don't follow. How is more power vs less power following my "all things being equal" in the initial inquiry? Of coarse more power is likely to hit much harder than less power.

However, are you still claiming that 1000RMS@.5 ohm hits harder than 1000RMS@2 ohms?
    I mean with your riot hose analogy, which is which? I assume the garden hose would be the power into a more restrictive 4 ohm, while the riot hose is into a less restrictive 2 ohm load. For both to be producing the same amount of output (which was part of my all being equal), the garden hose would have more force with the more restrictive opening if producing the same volume of output.

Honestly, I'd much rather be knocked down with a riot hose than have my flesh pealed off from a garden hose producing the same volume of output as the riot hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Based solely on the original premise of the question regarding a DVC driver and amplifier out of the equation.

No.
    Thank you, much more straight forward and makes more sense to me. It just leaves me wondering why DVC drivers still exist given how cheap power is these days and how easily it is to buy a SVC driver with the impedance required to reach the desired final load.

I mean if you want two 12" drivers and a 1 ohm final impedance, buy two SVC 2 ohm drivers.

10. Back To Top    #20
    Real Name
    Weigel
    Vehicle
    99' Cavalier RS coupe

And what does an amplifier's power wire size have to do with how a DVC driver will behave if wired in series vs parallel?