Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe build

1. Back To Top    #1

2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe build

Hello all. New to this forum, heard about it on DIYMA.

I’m just getting started on upgrading the audio system in my 2011 CTS-V.

I have recently installed the Metra dash kit and a Kenwood Excelon DMX906S. It seems like a really nice HU so far. The Metra kit has a GM CANBUS interface that allows the HU to integrate with the rest of the system.

I’m still running through the Bose amp for now. If I gut the Bose amp, I lose chimes, backup warning beeps, OnStar, turn signal clicks, etc, which I don’t want to do.

I have run an RCA cable from the Kenwood’s sub-outs to the trunk, and I have a JL Audio ACP112LG-TW1 MicroSub+ 12" powered subwoofer waiting to be installed in the spare tire well. By running the sub off of the Kenwood’s sub outputs, I can avoid the Bose amps annoying EQ programming of reducing the bass output as the volume is turned up.

I know I have a ton of sound deadening to do, especially trunk and doors.

I have a set of Dynaudio MW182’s on order (thanks SkizeR!) as a near drop in replacement for the Bose mid bass drivers in my front doors. I’m seriously doubting that the Bose amp is going to have enough power to drive them anywhere near what they’ll need.

I’m wondering about using a Rockford Fosgate compact 200 watts x 2 channel amp, driven by the Bose amp’s front door speaker outputs, to up the power to where it needs to be for the Dyns. I’m thinking I can keep things balanced by adjusting the gain setting appropriately on the Rockford Fosgate amp, on the JL sub, and with the Kenwood’s output tuning and EQ.

I know this is nowhere near a full on DSP processor based SQ system, but it would retain the stock amp’s features that I don’t want to lose, and hopefully sound way better than the fully stock Bose amps and speakers.

One other thing to note, is that even though I’m only 56, I do already have hearing aids to help with some “high frequency roll-off” that my ears seem to have developed lately. 😁 Maybe I listened to too much loud music back in my youth (dual 10” Bazookas blaring away back in the 80’s and 90’s). So I question whether I would even be able to appreciate a well tuned, time aligned, accurately staged system anymore.

I’m open to opinions and suggestions, especially if there’s anyone hear that’s worked around a GM Bose amp before, has done an install in a CTS before, or who has hearing aids but still enjoys SQ car audio systems.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Re: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe build

Quote Originally Posted by demann View Post
    So I question whether I would even be able to appreciate a well tuned, time aligned, accurately staged system anymore.
    You need to demo in a good car before making this decision. I'm 57 and started with 8-tracks and power boosters. Thought I knew something about stereos. I was wrong. Heard my first good system in 2008, it was an AHA moment. But be warned, you won't be satisfied with what 99% of people think is great.

Your CTS-V can be very good, Gabe's was in some iterations.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Team Knuckledragger papacueball's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jason
    Vehicle
    2011 Dodge Charger

iDatalink or Pac audio may have what you need to get rid of the bose amp and retain those features.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by papacueball View Post
    iDatalink or Pac audio may have what you need to get rid of the bose amp and retain those features.
    I wish! I investigated, and unfortunately iDatalink does not support the generation of Cadillac CTS digital Bose amp systems that are in my car (08 - 14 CTS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Kendal
    Vehicle
    '02 330Ci & '20 Tacoma

I really want one of these cars. I’m excited to see what you come up with.
    https://www.caraudiojunkies.com/signaturepics/sigpic150_2.gif
    2002 330Ci & 2020 Tacoma

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Robert or Mac
    Vehicle
    2012 Charger RT

In most cases you can leave the OEM amp in place, but that doesn't mean you have to run your audio through it. For example I left my oem amp in place in my 2012 charger because something required it being there, but not a single audio signal went through it. I merely disconnected the speaker outputs on it and left it in place. In my situation I retained the OEM HU as it had a lot of integrated features so I couldn't replace it, but in your case since you already have an aftermarket HU (and a good one), you should be good to got

I would caution spending a lot of money on sound dampening material initially. Find out if you actually need it. Most don't do this and spend a lot of money for almost no sonic gain. Now, if you are looking to deaden road noise as you are driving, that can be a different story, but still I'd see what you actually need as opposed to just throwing everything in the catalog at the car "just because".

Your statement about not having enough power is misplaced, and a common misconception. Look at it this way, those speakers are probably in the 85-88db efficient range, as are most drivers that are used in car audio. That means a single watt of power will produce a peak output of that 85-88db per speaker. With two speakers that means 3 more db, so 88-91db for that same single watt. When it comes to sub frequencies that isn't much to write home about, but for everything else, it is fairly loud. Every doubling of power gets you another 3db. This means that pretty much everyone that isn't trying to pound the ground drives around listening to their system at 1-2 watts of power, with an occasional peak of maybe 4 watts. Perhaps higher if they truly are listening to some really dynamic recordings that have high dynamic range in them, they'll exceed that for very brief moments, like milliseconds.

High power amps have their place and their purpose and people use them for different reasons. Lower gains for lower noise floor, having that dynamic range capability, etc. Just don't get caught up in thinking you HAVE to have a lot of power to make something sound good, or worse to think that a speaker "wants it".

Just some food for thought...
    MASQ partner and judge
    MobileAudioSQ.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Hey pocket5s, thanks for all the great feedback.

My main focus on sound deadening is to dynamat the front doors and trunk area, to reduce any resonance from the much higher levels of bass they are about to be subject to. And like you said, if I do more than that, it will be to reduce the road noise. It does seem like I’m getting more road noise coming through now than when my car was new.

As far as more power goes, I agree with you. But something is distorting/clipping as I turn the volume up. It’s at the point where it’s starting to get loud, but it’s not super loud yet. It could be the stock Bose sub, or the current stock door speakers. I need to take the time and isolate it. I’m replacing the sub, so if it’s that I’m all good. But if it’s the stock door speakers, I’ll need to check again once I upgrade to the Dynaudio MW182s, and see if it’s still there.

If so, that’s when more power may be needed for them. I have no idea what sort of quality or power the Bose amp has for those speakers. I also don’t know what the stock front door mid bass speaker’s impedance is, or how different they are from the MW182’s.

I’ll just work through everything one step at a time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    Your CTS-V can be very good, Gabe's was in some iterations.
    Hey James, who is Gabe? And is he a member on this forum? If he's available and willing, I'd love to learn from his experience on his CTS-V.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    James
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Lonestar

Quote Originally Posted by demann View Post
    Hey James, who is Gabe? And is he a member on this forum? If he's available and willing, I'd love to learn from his experience on his CTS-V.
    Se7en

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by SublimeZ View Post
    Se7en
    D'oh!!! Yes, of course. I loved reading about his build, and I learned a lot from it.