Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier Suggestion (5 or 6 channel)

1. Back To Top    #1

Amplifier Suggestion (5 or 6 channel)

Hello there.

Cross posted here as well as that "other" forum . I didn't see an equipment suggestion forum, so I put this here, hope it is in the correct spot.

While there is nothing "wrong" with my current system, the entire "I wonder if this would be better" has sunk in again and I may be changing some stuff out.

I currently have a:

Helix P Six DSP MK2
    Audiofrog GB15 Tweeters
    Audiofrog GS690 Mids
    Oncore SM10 Sub

I know that there are plenty of knowledgeable people to help with tuning and all of that, and while my current (self done) tune isn't bad, I don't have much to compare to. On that note, I have been reading about the new MiniDSP with Dirac Live and seeing people talk highly of it ... and all without me having to do/know as much with regards to tuning "by hand". This is a high selling point.

So lets just say that I go that route and grab a MiniDSP ... I would now need an amplifier as the DSP in the Helix would not be needed.

I have some size restrictions as to what I can fit under the seat where my current setup is, roughly 2" x 10"-12" x up to 8". The connections must also be on the long side(s).

New system would consist of:

Same Audiofrog GB15 Tweeters
    NEW Audiofrog GB60 Mids (these are already here, but not yet installed)
    Same Oncore SM10
    ??? Amplifier

I have narrowed it down to the following, mostly based on size, and budget (I would like to stay around $500, new or used, at the most), but may have left something out. I would like to stay with a single amp for the entire system. Suggestions based on these, or something else would be appreciated.

Pioneer GM-D9705, 75x4@4 + 350x1@4 (Seems to be an ok budget amp)
    Kenwood x802-5, 50x4@4 + 300x1@4
    Alpine PDX-V9, 100x4@4 + 500x1@4 (Older amp, overheating issues?)
    Alpine PDR-V75, 75x4@4 + 250x1@4
    Alpine X-A90V, 75x4@4 + 300x1@4
    JL Audio HD900/5, 100x4@4 + 500x1@4
    JL Audio XD700/5v2, 75x4@4 + 180x1@4
    JL Audio XD600/6v2, 75x4@4 + 200x1@4
    AudioControl LC-6.1200, 125x4@4 + 400x1@4
    Arc Audio XDi 1200.6, 150x4@4 + 600x1@4 (Size is close to not fitting nicely)
    Arc Audio XDi 1100.5, 150x4@4 + 275x1@4

Helix P Six DSP MK2 (Would be a waste of the DSP, but I could just keep this for the amplifier portion)

If you have a small good, better, best ranking as well that would be wonderful.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Amplifier Suggestion (5 or 6 channel)

From ErinH's posts on the minidsp, you still definitely need to know how to tune. It needs some things initially setup properly or it isn't going to work right, and those things are important. It also isn't an end all, to get the tune "finished" you still need to do some tuning.

I think your better option would be to get someone to tune your system now. There are a couple of remote tuners out there that can do this or if someone is local to you. Would probably be quite a bit cheaper than switching all of your gear too.

3. Back To Top    #3

MMATS SQ4160 (I realize it's a little over budget)
    https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/site/product/sq4160/

MMATS 6150D (A lot over budget)
    https://www.mmatsproaudio.com/site/product/hifi-6150d/
    2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door - Morel Elate 3 way, Mmats HiFi 6150 & M2000.2, Hutchinson NDFEB 10", MiniDSP w/DL, Fiio X5

#TRUMP2020

4. Back To Top    #4

How about the Audio Control version with the DSP built in?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by DIY Audio Guy View Post
    How about the Audio Control version with the DSP built in?
    That DSP software is terrible.....I was trying to help someone with it and it was one of the worst I have used.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Real Name
    Keith
    Vehicle
    2016 Jaguar XF-S

I tried that Audiocontrol DSP a couple years ago. It really was terrible. Tough to use, and lacked a lot of flexibility.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    That DSP software is terrible.....I was trying to help someone with it and it was one of the worst I have used.
    I am surprised to hear that. Especially with all of the Audio Control product I am seeing all over YouTube. I guess I just assumed that anything that well known and that expensive could not get away with offering a crap product without being called on the BS. Now that I think about it, the only YouTubers that use it are sponsored by Audio Control.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRam View Post
    I was also going to endorse the MMATS 6150D amp... but as David mentioned; it's a tad bit over your budget (about twice the price).
    With that said; it's an amp tha tyou will buy once, and never think you need to upgrade again... unless you suddenly come into Brax kinda money.
    New Car... Stock Stereo

9. Back To Top    #9
    Real Name
    Bobby K.
    Vehicle
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    I was also going to endorse the MMATS 6150D amp... but as David mentioned; it's a tad bit over your budget (about twice the price).
    With that said; it's an amp tha tyou will buy once, and never think you need to upgrade again... unless you suddenly come into Brax kinda money.
    I think it’s a bit bigger than the Arc as well, so if the Arc is almost too big, no way the Mmats will fit.
    Kenwood DDX9903S, Arc PS-8 w/PSC, Arc Audio 1200.6, Helix SPXL1000, Audiofrog GB12D4(2) IB, GB60, GB25, GB10

10. Back To Top    #10
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Vehicle
    2017 Silverado CCSB

Quote Originally Posted by beak81champ View Post
    I think it’s a bit bigger than the Arc as well, so if the Arc is almost too big, no way the Mmats will fit.
    I guess it depends on what his specific restrictions are. I believe the MMATS is wider but the Arc is longer.

OP, I'm very new to all of this still but I will say that I'm very impressed with the Arc 1200.6 I ended up with, especially for the price they can be found used. Also, whenever I feel the need to upgrade I'll be looking at the MMATS and Biketronics amps specifically for their size, power, and quality.