Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP.3 help thread

1. Back To Top    #81
    Real Name
    Nick

Re: Helix DSP.3 help thread

Unfortunately, this is where helping gets hard. At this point, its going to be guesses unless someone can hear it.

2. Back To Top    #82
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Also, kenwood might just say 800hz-20khz because they designed that speaker set to be sold as a component set and the crossover was 850hz. So they are stating the frequency of the speaker based on the crossover and not actually what the speaker is capable of playing. They might have just found out that there is a market for selling the 3.5" separately as well so they now offer that but didn't care about listing actual specs of it. Or maybe its a typo and they meant 80hz-20khz?

A lot of companies that are mass producers will do that for their component sets.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

3. Back To Top    #83

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Are you saying you are hearing more sound coming from the dash area than the door....that is how SQ should be. Your speakers should blend together and be at about ear level and ~center of dash. More sound should seem to be coming from up on the dash if you have them blended together.
    Yeah, I have a feeling that what I'm hearing now is more like it really should be - and I'm just so used to crappy audio systems that just sent full-range audio to every speaker in the car. Been listening to those types of systems for so long, a system that sounds correct probably just sounds strange to me. :-) It just seems like those little 3.5" speakers are providing so much of the audio - which I guess they should since they are playing the bulk of the frequency range... I've also found that I REALLY notice bad recordings now too. Good recordings sound awesome, but poor recordings really stick out so much more now...

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Unfortunately, this is where helping gets hard. At this point, its going to be guesses unless someone can hear it.
    I completely understand. Trust me, you've given me plenty of help - and I really do appreciate it. What *I* need to do is get out and listen to some really good systems so I know what I'm aiming for. I'll keep plugging away at things in the meantime. Obviously, I enjoy messing with this stuff, so it's all good! I'm not looking for a competition-level system - just a great sounding system, as technically incorrect as it may be. Like I said, I'm much closer to a real audio system than I've ever been before, so I *am* making progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    Also, kenwood might just say 800hz-20khz because they designed that speaker set to be sold as a component set and the crossover was 850hz. So they are stating the frequency of the speaker based on the crossover and not actually what the speaker is capable of playing. They might have just found out that there is a market for selling the 3.5" separately as well so they now offer that but didn't care about listing actual specs of it. Or maybe its a typo and they meant 80hz-20khz?

A lot of companies that are mass producers will do that for their component sets.
    It's funny - I too thought that maybe it was supposed to be 80hz instead of 800hz... The component set doesn't mention the FR of the 3.5" speaker at all - anywhere. It's only listed in the specs for the 3.5" sold separately. Who knows. It's one of lifes great mysteries! I think these speakers are relatively new, so we may even see the specs change to 80hz-23khz at some point when they realize the FR in the specs is so "off". :-)

Great conversation though - I appreciate you guys playing along for so long! I picked up a lot of info from this thread already - and I'm sure other noobs like myself will to.

4. Back To Top    #84

I’d be tempted to solo the 3.5” with no crossovers at low volume and see where it seems to roll off by itself and try it maybe half an octave above there, so if it rolled off at 200, try it at 300hz, or 400, try it at 600

so for example my gz nuclear mids natural roll off was as per the rta plot below (that’s with eq) so I chose to cut them off around 300ish...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E41DA9A-05AE-4C94-843A-00A20C13E27F.jpeg 
Views:	303 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	7370  

5. Back To Top    #85
    Real Name
    Nick

Jtrosky, where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #86

I'm in PA - about an hour west of Philly (West Grove, PA 19390). I just checked and your place is about 3 hours away. I will actually be in Bethlehem, PA next week for work, which is a little closer, but it's still about 2 hours away. Who knows, maybe if I can get out of work early one day next week, I can make the drive over to see you (would check with you and your availability first, obviously)...

Would be cool to meet you and hear a good car and/or let you hear where I'm at with mine to see what you think and maybe get some direction. :-)

7. Back To Top    #87
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I'm in PA - about an hour west of Philly (West Grove, PA 19390). I just checked and your place is about 3 hours away. I will actually be in Bethlehem, PA next week for work, which is a little closer, but it's still about 2 hours away. Who knows, maybe if I can get out of work early one day next week, I can make the drive over to see you (would check with you and your availability first, obviously)...

Would be cool to meet you and hear a good car and/or let you hear where I'm at with mine to see what you think and maybe get some direction. :-)

Reason i ask, is best thing you can do is hear a good sounding car. Conveniently enough for you, one of the best sounding cars resides kinda close to you. I'll talk to him and see if he'll give you a demo. Aside from that, you can stop by the shop whenever. Like you said though, a heads up is always good

But seriously, hearing a car that sounds correct is the best thing you can do right now.

8. Back To Top    #88
    Real Name
    Chris
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram

Reason i ask, is best thing you can do is hear a good sounding car. Conveniently enough for you, one of the best sounding cars resides kinda close to you. I'll talk to him and see if he'll give you a demo. Aside from that, you can stop by the shop whenever. Like you said though, a heads up is always good

But seriously, hearing a car that sounds correct is the best thing you can do right now.
    You referring to the soccer mom pimp sled?
    They might say "don't try this at home" but nothing about not trying it at your friend's house.

9. Back To Top    #89
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly SQ View Post
    You referring to the soccer mom pimp sled?
    Yup

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

10. Back To Top    #90

Yeah, that would be awesome - please do let me know if he is willing to do a brief audition of his system.

Thanks Nick.