Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP.3 help thread

1. Back To Top    #41
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

Re: Helix DSP.3 help thread

It has been a part of the software since DSP PC-Tool v2, so pretty much any DSP they have sold has the ability. It is far more refined now, for sure, but they can all do it.
    Doug Dobson

2. Back To Top    #42
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Vehicle
    2017 Silverado CCSB

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    It's part if the pc tool software and has been out for a while now. Probably over a year

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Yea, I was thinking I had seen it as an option. Just wanted to make sure I could try it out on the ole DSP.2

3. Back To Top    #43

Regarding the auto-EQ - someone above mentioned that it is only capable of auto-EQ'ing using 31 bands of graphical EQ - is that correct? So it won't adjust Q or freq if/as needed like a true parametric auto-EQ? Not saying that is a huge issue - just trying to understand it's capabilities.

Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #44

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    You always want to set your gain structure for two things. The first is max output from that device to where it isn't clipping the signal. The second is max input of the next device inline. You set it for whatever requires the lowest setting. If you need 2v to your sub, set your dsp output to max 2v for those channels. If your jl amp can handle the 6v out of the dsp, set your dsp output for those channels to 6v and set the JL amp for the correct setting.

You don't want to send more voltage in to your amp than it can handle, this will overdrive the inputs on that device and could cause a bunch of issues.
    Ok, so right now, with my current setup (DSR-1 DSP), I really should be reducing the sub output channels on the DSP since it's capable of 4V output and the sub is only capable of 2V input? Obviously, it's "working" as-is, even without me reducing the sub output channels on the DSP at all, but I guess I run the chance (even if remote) of the sub clipping the input signal at louder volumes. Do I have that right? If I have that right, then that means I would need to lower the output on the DSP and increase the gain on the sub (in this case the sub and sub amp are all in one box since it's an under-seat sub).

Just making sure I understand properly.

Thank you!

5. Back To Top    #45
    Vehicle
    2019 GMC AT4

Quote Originally Posted by dobslob View Post
    It has been a part of the software since DSP PC-Tool v2, so pretty much any DSP they have sold has the ability. It is far more refined now, for sure, but they can all do it.
    OH boy oh boy oh boy! Sounds like my Dayton will be out when I do the final install!

6. Back To Top    #46
    Real Name
    Lanson
    Vehicle
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser in Cavalry Blue

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Ok, so right now, with my current setup (DSR-1 DSP), I really should be reducing the sub output channels on the DSP since it's capable of 4V output and the sub is only capable of 2V input? Obviously, it's "working" as-is, even without me reducing the sub output channels on the DSP at all, but I guess I run the chance (even if remote) of the sub clipping the input signal at louder volumes. Do I have that right? If I have that right, then that means I would need to lower the output on the DSP and increase the gain on the sub (in this case the sub and sub amp are all in one box since it's an under-seat sub).

Just making sure I understand properly.

Thank you!
    We're talking the maximum in and the maximum out, so only at the absolute peak of a transient would the DSP overdrive the amp, assuming the DSP was set at its very max as well. This is one of the best problems to have, btw. Excessive gain from your source is just confidence that you will not have to bring your gains up much. In a musical situation, the chance of this peaking over is extremely slim.

7. Back To Top    #47
    Real Name
    Ross
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Just finished up a tune on my own car after doing a new install. Decided to try the Auto EQ before I did anything like I said. I was able to set crossovers, inouts/outputs, take, go into the rta and make my own curve, tune left, tune right, tune sub, tune global... all in 15 minutes. I would have zero shame in giving the end result to a customer, where I usually spend 2+ hours tuning. Verified the measurements and adjustments with rew... to a T. I'll get a video up shortly.

So did the Helix auto-EQ simply make graphic EQ adjustments? That’s what I got when I played with it. Nothing wrong with that, if that’s the case, just curious if I did something incorrectly.

BTW Nick, I sat through the Helix seminar at KnowledgeFest (with Julian & Florian) too. Recognized you there but failed to introduce myself & say hello. You gave me some phone support several months back on an Illusion C8 with shifted motor.

Thanks!
    Ross

8. Back To Top    #48
    Real Name
    Ross
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Regarding the auto-EQ - someone above mentioned that it is only capable of auto-EQ'ing using 31 bands of graphical EQ - is that correct? So it won't adjust Q or freq if/as needed like a true parametric auto-EQ? Not saying that is a huge issue - just trying to understand it's capabilities.

Thanks.
    That was me. I’m still waiting for confirmation that the Auto-EQ is limited to graphic EQ changes only, or if there’s a setting to enable parametric changes in the Auto-EQ. When I attempted using it several weeks back, it gave good results sound-wise, but but all changes were at the standard 31 preset center frequencies and no Q adjustments were made.

9. Back To Top    #49
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by thedynoguy View Post
    I'm reading this at 4:30am and you posted it 4 hours ago. Do you ever sleep?
    No

10. Back To Top    #50
    Real Name
    Anthony
    Vehicle
    2019 Toyota Tacoma

When I ran my helix dsp i used the auto eq all the time and it really does a damn good job i absolutely loved it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk