Thread: Helix DSP.3 help thread

1. Back To Top    #31
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Helix DSP.3 help thread

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Just finished up a tune on my own car after doing a new install. Decided to try the Auto EQ before I did anything like I said. I was able to set crossovers, inouts/outputs, take, go into the rta and make my own curve, tune left, tune right, tune sub, tune global... all in 15 minutes. I would have zero shame in giving the end result to a customer, where I usually spend 2+ hours tuning. Verified the measurements and adjustments with rew... to a T. I'll get a video up shortly.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    When you say tune left, do you mean the left side as a whole? Or did you tune left mid, left tweeter, etc separately and then put them together?
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

2. Back To Top    #32
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Jdunk54nl View Post
    When you say tune left, do you mean the left side as a whole? Or did you tune left mid, left tweeter, etc separately and then put them together?
    Left as a whole

3. Back To Top    #33
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Vehicle
    2017 Silverado CCSB

Looking forward to the video Nick, interested to see what the AutoEQ is like.

Is this feature new for the DSP.3 or just an update to the DSP software tool for the PC?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

4. Back To Top    #34
    Real Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ajt976 View Post
    Looking forward to the video Nick, interested to see what the AutoEQ is like.

Is this feature new for the DSP.3 or just an update to the DSP software tool for the PC?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    It's part if the pc tool software and has been out for a while now. Probably over a year

5. Back To Top    #35
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

It was in their v3 PC tool sound tuning magazine thing. So it's been out since v3 and we are on v4
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

6. Back To Top    #36
    Vehicle
    2016 Hellcat Challenger

It's part if the pc tool software and has been out for a while now. Probably over a year

I'm reading this at 4:30am and you posted it 4 hours ago. Do you ever sleep?

7. Back To Top    #37

I touched on this in another thread, but as I start to think through my PAC AP4/Helix DSP.3 upgrade (from Rockford Fosgate DSR-1), I want to make sure I understand line-level output voltage and potential issues related to the 6V line-level outputs on the Helix DSP.3.

My under-seat sub specs say it's line-level inputs are rated for 0.2V - 2V. Obviously, if the Helix is outputting up to 6V, that could be a problem, correct? Someone else mentioned that I could just lower the output levels in the DSP to account for this.

Then I looked at my amp - a JL Audio XD600/6v2. It's specs say the input voltage range is 200mV - 8V RMS. However, that voltage range is divided up into two "sub-ranges", selectable via an "Input Voltage" switch. The switch can either be set to "Low" for 200mV - 2V, or "High" for 800mV - 8V. Normally, this low/high switch is set to "low" for line-level inputs and "high" for speaker-level inputs - but the manual does say this regarding the "High" setting: "This is useful for certain high-output preamp level signals as well as speaker level output...".

So - to me, it sounds like I should reduce the output level for the sub channel in the DSP.3 - and set the "Input Voltage" switch on the XD600/6v2 amp to "High", even though I'm using low-level inputs. Then I would have to adjust things to make the levels "mesh" properly between the sub and the rest of the speakers.

Am I on the right track?

Interestingly, I also noticed that my current DSR-1 has 4V line-level outputs (assumed they were 2V), so it sounds like things are already not optimal between my DSR-1 and my under-seat sub. It's working fine, but I'm guessing that there is a possiblity of me overdriving the under-seat sub in certain situations?

Thanks in advance!

8. Back To Top    #38
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

I'd say you're on the right track.

In the end you adjust your output at the amp gain or DSP to prevent clipping/distortion so it isn't damaging to your speakers. But it can impact your noise floor. Ideally, you want your DSP to have the max output it can have and your amp gain to have the lowest setting it can have to reduce noise floor.

In your case that would be running the sub channel at a negative dB output that prevents it from going over 2v when at max volume and then adjust amp gain to max output the sub can handle. Then for your front speakers I'd set the XD600 to high input voltage with helix outputs starting at 0dB and adjusting amp gains to speaker max output. Then as you are tuning you will start cutting some channels in the Helix output to level match between the different speakers.

9. Back To Top    #39
    Vehicle
    2019 GMC AT4

So the AutoEq works on any Helix dsp it’s just a software update?

10. Back To Top    #40
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    I touched on this in another thread, but as I start to think through my PAC AP4/Helix DSP.3 upgrade (from Rockford Fosgate DSR-1), I want to make sure I understand line-level output voltage and potential issues related to the 6V line-level outputs on the Helix DSP.3.

My under-seat sub specs say it's line-level inputs are rated for 0.2V - 2V. Obviously, if the Helix is outputting up to 6V, that could be a problem, correct? Someone else mentioned that I could just lower the output levels in the DSP to account for this.

Then I looked at my amp - a JL Audio XD600/6v2. It's specs say the input voltage range is 200mV - 8V RMS. However, that voltage range is divided up into two "sub-ranges", selectable via an "Input Voltage" switch. The switch can either be set to "Low" for 200mV - 2V, or "High" for 800mV - 8V. Normally, this low/high switch is set to "low" for line-level inputs and "high" for speaker-level inputs - but the manual does say this regarding the "High" setting: "This is useful for certain high-output preamp level signals as well as speaker level output...".

So - to me, it sounds like I should reduce the output level for the sub channel in the DSP.3 - and set the "Input Voltage" switch on the XD600/6v2 amp to "High", even though I'm using low-level inputs. Then I would have to adjust things to make the levels "mesh" properly between the sub and the rest of the speakers.

Am I on the right track?

Interestingly, I also noticed that my current DSR-1 has 4V line-level outputs (assumed they were 2V), so it sounds like things are already not optimal between my DSR-1 and my under-seat sub. It's working fine, but I'm guessing that there is a possiblity of me overdriving the under-seat sub in certain situations?

Thanks in advance!
    You always want to set your gain structure for two things. The first is max output from that device to where it isn't clipping the signal. The second is max input of the next device inline. You set it for whatever requires the lowest setting. If you need 2v to your sub, set your dsp output to max 2v for those channels. If your jl amp can handle the 6v out of the dsp, set your dsp output for those channels to 6v and set the JL amp for the correct setting.

You don't want to send more voltage in to your amp than it can handle, this will overdrive the inputs on that device and could cause a bunch of issues.