Thread: Helix DSP.3 help thread

1. Back To Top    #21
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Re: Helix DSP.3 help thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    I'm about to install the DSP.3. Currently my TWK-88 is configured to use 2 channels for the sub and I have left and right going to the sub amp. Am I correct in thinking I can merge L+R in Helix to send sub signal from H to just the L channel on the amp, but then I'll need to increase the gain on the amp to compensate for only 1 rca connected instead of 2?
    Check your amp instructions, some need a splitter cable to have that one output split into two so the amp has both left and "right". Others are fine just running off of one rca.

2. Back To Top    #22
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

The manual for the Memphis PRX1500.1 mentions nothing about single RCA or both so I'll assume it needs both. I guess I could run the Helix like my TWK and run L and R sub. I'd lose the Helix augmented bass feature, but who actually uses that anyway? But good to know if I ever want to run a center channel.

3. Back To Top    #23

Couldn't you just use RCA splitter/joiner adapters to get from 1->2 RCAs and/or 2->1 RCAs?

4. Back To Top    #24
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by jrwalte View Post
    The manual for the Memphis PRX1500.1 mentions nothing about single RCA or both so I'll assume it needs both. I guess I could run the Helix like my TWK and run L and R sub. I'd lose the Helix augmented bass feature, but who actually uses that anyway? But good to know if I ever want to run a center channel.
    It is $6 for a good y splitter....
    http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-au...-adapter-1f2m/

Or
    https://www.amazon.com/KnuKonceptz-K.../dp/B007HVDCWI

5. Back To Top    #25
    Vehicle
    2007 Corolla

I understand thanks. But I already have KnuKonceptz Krux L+R rca. So rather than keeping the R dangling free I figure might as well connect it and let Helix send sub on both channels and link their EQ, rather than buying a y-adapter that isn't needed unless I want to free up a helix channel for center. I'd see the only reason being because I'd want to use the augmented bass feature.

6. Back To Top    #26
    Real Name
    Nick

Just finished up a new install in my personal car. Will be trying the Auto EQ for the first time

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #27
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

Nice, I am going to try it tomorrow and see how well it works. Looking at the software and reading the info on it via AF, it sound fairly nice for a decent tune. I am just wondering if it just keeps the Q and frequency the same as the original 31 band graphic EQ or if it adjusts those. If it changes the graphic to parametric and adjusts the Q, Frequency, and magnitude, it would be SUPER powerful and would easily get rid of REW for the basic EQ.

8. Back To Top    #28
    Real Name
    Doug Dobson
    Vehicle
    2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Jeep JK, 2005 VW Touareg, 2012 Kia Optima SX, 1992 Jeep YJ, 1999 Silverado, 1992

I'm sorry I missed all of this. Still getting used to the new forum and where people post I guess.

Pay no attention to the channels they mention in the software as far as the effect channels, they were there from the original application where there was really only one or two possible setups. The Bass enhancement will take place on all channels labeled as subwoofer, the front effects can be on the 4 labeled as they are almost always used as the front channels.

This will all chance in the next software where virtual channels are introduced to the software.

And yes, it is very straightforward, especially considering all it can do. It was far and away the easiest software I have ever used for a DSP. In fact that is a major reason we chose to make it the foundation of our business.

If you have any other questions I'll try to keep up with the threads, but feel free to contact me directly.
    Doug Dobson

9. Back To Top    #29
    Real Name
    Ross
    Vehicle
    2014 Toyota Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    Just finished up a new install in my personal car. Will be trying the Auto EQ for the first time

Unless there's a setting whee this can be adjusted, I think the Helix Auto-Tune simply applies boost/cut to the graphic EQ bands, instead of altering the center frequency or "Q". At least that's what I got when attempting to run it a couple of weeks ago. If that's all it does, I'll likely stick with REW and calculate my parametric EQ's the way Andy W. explains in his Tuning How-To.

If you're wanting to make something sound better in very little time, the Helix Auto_tune is better than nothing.

10. Back To Top    #30
    Real Name
    Nick

Just finished up a tune on my own car after doing a new install. Decided to try the Auto EQ before I did anything like I said. I was able to set crossovers, inouts/outputs, take, go into the rta and make my own curve, tune left, tune right, tune sub, tune global... all in 15 minutes. I would have zero shame in giving the end result to a customer, where I usually spend 2+ hours tuning. Verified the measurements and adjustments with rew... to a T. I'll get a video up shortly.