Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Helix DSP.3 help thread

1. Back To Top    #191

Re: Helix DSP.3 help thread

So I finally tried the Helix Augmented Bass Processing in my setup. So far, I *really* like the results!! I used to boost my under-seat sub by about 5db at 40hz to get it to produce deeper bass a little better as well as a few smaller EQ boosts/cuts (I think I had 4 EQ bands in total for the sub). With the Augmented bass processing, I completely disabled all manual EQ on the sub, set Dynamic Bass Enhancement, set Dynamic Boost to 40hz with 3db of gain and also enabled "SubXpander".

With these FX options enabled (and my manual EQ disabled), I get much deeper bass and I actually had to turn down the gain on the sub channel a little! It seems to work REALLY well with an under-seat self-amplified sub like my JBL BassPro SL. Measurements indeed showed that my 40hz was significantly increased - by about 5db over what I previously had when I applied a 5dB boost at 40hz via manual EQ!. Also, the bass level at lower volumes sounds *so* much better now, without "overdoing it" at higher volumes.

This function may not be as impressive with a "real" sub, but with this 8" under-seat amplified sub (the entire sub/amp box is less than 3" high!), it worked wonders. I'm not sure if this function actually "analyazes" the music to determine when/where/how much bass boost to add and at what volume, but really happy with it - whatever it does. I have my 6x9 midbass speakers and the under-seat sub overlapping a little to "compliment" each other and I now have an almost perfectly flat response from 40hz-80hz, which is pretty impressive for that little sub (considering that the 40hz-80hz level is about 18db higher than my mids/highs).

2. Back To Top    #192

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Ok, I have a stupid question regarding loading tunes on the Helix DSP.3. Typically, I'll take measurements in-car, work on the tune with REW in the comfort of my home and then later I'll load it on the DSP and take new measurements - rinse and repeat.

If I load a tune into the Helix DSP.3 from a file, I click the "Load" button in the PC-Tool software and select the file. However, that doesn't "save" it into one of the 10 "slots" on the DSP itself, so I then have to click "Save & Store", which lets me save it to one of the "slots", but then it makes me save the file that I just loaded? The fact that I have to save the tune back to the file that I just loaded it from just seems a little strange. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to simply save the current tune to a "slot" without also saving it to a file?

The process just seems a little redundant in that I have to save the tune to the file that I just loaded it from. :-)

Not a big deal, just curious if I'm missing something.

Thank you!
    To answer my own question, it turns out that there actually *is* a way to save the tune to the DSP without having to manually select a file to save it to as well. If you are actively making changes to a tune, you can select the "Overwrite" checkbox (located right above the "Save & Store" button) - then, when you click the "Save & Store" button, it will just automatically save the tune to the same filename and the same DSP preset number without any prompting. The "Select Preset" and "Save file..." dialog boxes never even pop up when this option is enabled. If it's a brand new tune that wasn't loaded from a file, then the software will automatically generate the filename.

Just FYI. :-)

3. Back To Top    #193

As I learn more and more and explore the Helix PC-Tool software more and more, I come up with questions like this (which Helix doesn't seem to document anywhere)..

Question for the day is regarding the little "P" icon on the main Helix screen that shows the speaker phase line (I'm assuming).

So here are my midbass speakers and my sub, with EQ and phase shown for each (Green and Yellow dashed lines are midbass phase and Blue dashed line is sub phase) - sub phase is at 0 degrees here:

Should I use the Phase slider in the Helix software to try and "line up" the sub phase line with the midbass speaker phase lines as best I can (like this - this is with the sub phase at 28 degrees):

Or does that have absolutely nothing to do with it?

Just kind of wondering what benefit those phase lines can offer.... :-)

Thank you!

4. Back To Top    #194
    Real Name
    Jacob
    Vehicle
    2014 F150 Limited

All that matters is acoustical phase. So unless you are measuring that, or have clear indications of phase issues, don't mess with the electrical phase.
    2014 F150 Limited -> Kenwood DDX-9907xr -> Helix DSP.2 -> Alpine PDX-V9 -> SI M25 mki in Valicar Stuttgart Pods, Rear SB17's, Sub SI BM MKV's in MTI BOX. Alpine PDX-F6 -> SI Tm65 mkIV, SI M3 mkI in Valicar Stuttgart Pods

5. Back To Top    #195

Any idea what that "P" button is actually useful for then? I have to think that it's there for a reason - just trying to figure out how (of if) it is useful it some way. :-)

6. Back To Top    #196

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    Any idea what that "P" button is actually useful for then? I have to think that it's there for a reason - just trying to figure out how (of if) it is useful it some way. :-)
    You have all pass filters enabled, the p just allows you to see the electrical phase created by the helix on the screen

you don’t really need to worry about phase unless you have software that can measure it, you won’t change phase relative to anything else using the phase display in the helix alone

7. Back To Top    #197
    Real Name
    Nick

Its to view electrical phase response. Same as you're viewing electrical frequency response. And as Jdunk said, and same as the electrical frequency response, what you see there doesnt have any real bearing on what you should be doing with various phase or eq settings.

8. Back To Top    #198

Thanks guys - so it sounds like the phase display in the Helix software isn't very useful then. Was just curious if it could be useful in some way. Just exploring the software a little.

9. Back To Top    #199
    Real Name
    Nick

its useful because it helps you keep track of what you are doing

10. Back To Top    #200

Quote Originally Posted by SkizeR View Post
    its useful because it helps you keep track of what you are doing
    Exactly, it’s handy if you have the measured phase display and you have an anomaly and wish to see what all pass filters do to the phase response, or also if it’s down to an eq band you’ve applied also